About to press the order button for a new GTX 670.

yetyhunter

n00b
vfatxf.jpg

this one. Is there something to know before I order it?

I'm drooling all over my keyboard just thinking about it :eek:

How much is that going for and how's the OC potential? are 3 fans always better than 2?

I tested the 680 version of that card. It surpassed all the other cards i purchased on the oc, it ran the coolest of the cards i was using, around 10 degrees cooler then the evga cards.
I only know the 680 windforce had the best oc potential of the cards I tested, but I cant speak for the 670.

Should be good. The card boosts quite a bit. I was a bit surprised that it boosts (without manual OC) all the way to 1200.

:D
Should be good. The card boosts quite a bit. I was a bit surprised that it boosts (without manual OC) all the way to 1200.

Thats usually different per card. I purchased two evga ftws the stock clocks differed by about 10 mghz on the boost 1179 and 1189.

How does the asus card compare to this one?

I wouldn't touch anything Asus offered this generation, ATi or nVidia have been nothing but problems... I mean if you really want to wait 2 months for an RMA knock yourself out....

I wouldn't touch anything Asus offered this generation, ATi or nVidia have been nothing but problems... I mean if you really want to wait 2 months for an RMA knock yourself out....

I have heard some of the recent Asus GPU horror stories and agree that their RMA service sukks big-time. However, I currently have two Asus gtx670 Tops that run 1325Mhz max boost and they are great! -- BF3 and Heaven 3.0 stable. I have also had 3 Asus 7970 Tops which ran perfectly fine and o/c well. I did have one Asus gtx670 DCII (non-top) that was DOA. Fortunately, I was able to RMA w/ Newegg for a quick resolution. ;)

i have an asus 670 and i must admit i really wish i bought gigabyte.

Why? Something wrong with the asus card?

idk i was having temperature issues but now it seems its fixed idk if it was the drivers or what.

the fans are just okay. there is absolutely no difference in temperatures from 75-100% fan speed which is pretty whack. the gigabyte one is the best nonreference 670 all around, temps, performance, overclocking, noise.

ASUS 670 just caught my attention around here it was kind of a big deal when it came out. it got a 10/10 review and people on [H] were going crazy for it. plus it was the only one at frys and i didnt wanna wait for my upgrade haha. but yeah honestly gigabyte 670 nonreference is a beast.

Also have used this card. It's basically the best 670 out there for the price since release day. Although you missed a great deal of it on Superbiiz where it was for $374.

The Gigabyte 670 has been incredible.. I tried all these cards until I was finally happy. I should of listened to many of the people on the board initially stating how great the Gigabyte was. It would of saved me a lot of time and shipping.

680 Twin Frozr (Returned, wanted the lightning)
680 Lightning (too loud and not worth the cost per performance for me)
670 Asus (crapped out on me after a week)
670 MSI Twin Frozr PE (too loud)

Some reviews were saying the Asus was quieter than the Gigabyte, but at higher fan speeds the Gigabyte was quieter. I never hear the Gigabyte, but could hear the Asus while gaming during the short amount of time I had it.

Asus is historically one of the most respected manufacturers, period.

That's true, but the other manufacturers have made up much, if not all, of the ground in the past few years. They are still elite, of course, but I wouldn't say Asus is hands down the best any longer.

That's true, but the other manufacturers have made up much, if not all, of the ground in the past few years. They are still elite, of course, but I wouldn't say Asus is hands down the best any longer.

gigabyte GPUs in my opinion have surpassed asus

asus mobo's to me are preferred and i like to think unbeatable :)

Its hard to say because both put out excellent products. Gigabyte sets the bar with extremely good products at great prices. The gigabyte GTX 670 for example doesnt blow everything else away, but it does everything right and nothing wrong.

MSI is the dark horse IMHO. I havent used MSI in years, but their ultra high end cards are insane(lightning, MARS).

Its hard to say because both put out excellent products. Gigabyte sets the bar with extremely good products at great prices. The gigabyte GTX 670 for example doesnt blow everything else away, but it does everything right and nothing wrong.

MSI is the dark horse IMHO. I havent used MSI in years, but their ultra high end cards are insane(lightning, MARS).

isnt MARS asus? yeah msi Lightning is cream of the crop.. expensive though usually like 100$ premium

Another name that is rising in the gpu market is Galaxy. Their custom cooler may not be as good as the windforce tho but I'd rather buy a Galaxy before an Asus for gpu.

OP will be happy with that Gigabyte. To anyone else I'd say watch out for the Asus TOP. It seems to be OC'd too much from the factory and isn't verified or something, which causes a system crash.

OP will be happy with that Gigabyte. To anyone else I'd say watch out for the Asus TOP. It seems to be OC'd too much from the factory and isn't verified or something, which causes a system crash.

thats a common practice. factory overclocks aren't guaranteed as they do not stress them 100%

Why is that?

Asus is historically one of the most respected manufacturers, period. Their netbooks(!) laptops have near the same failure rate as macbooks.

Several years ago, Gigabyte was in the situation that Asus is in now, however they never were top notch like Asus... Gigabyte was always number 2 or 3, had horrible support and the UD-3 and UD-5's were problematic...

I have an Asus monitor, and we have an Asus Laptop, I still wouldn't buy one of their new GPU's though.

I never been overly thrilled with MSI, I have bought 3 MSI cards, they work, but the fans like to crap out after a couple of years, at least on me. I also wouldn't touch one of their mobo's after how crappy their AM3(+) boards are/were.

Several years ago, Gigabyte was in the situation that Asus is in now, however they never were top notch like Asus... Gigabyte was always number 2 or 3, had horrible support and the UD-3 and UD-5's were problematic...

I have an Asus monitor, and we have an Asus Laptop, I still wouldn't buy one of their new GPU's though.

I never been overly thrilled with MSI, I have bought 3 MSI cards, they work, but the fans like to crap out after a couple of years, at least on me. I also wouldn't touch one of their mobo's after how crappy their AM3(+) boards are/were.

I've never understood the hype with Asus is my point, they build decent products like a few other companies, but some people swear by them and I just don't get it. I've used some Asus motherboards in the past, never many issues with them, but I can say the same for many other brands that often get lumped into "lower tier" manufacturers. Currently using two Asrock, one Gigabyte, one Biostar and one MSI MB at home in 5 PC's at my house and all of them work just fine.

I've never understood the hype with Asus is my point, they build decent products like a few other companies, but some people swear by them and I just don't get it. I've used some Asus motherboards in the past, never many issues with them, but I can say the same for many other brands that often get lumped into "lower tier" manufacturers. Currently using two Asrock, one Gigabyte, one Biostar and one MSI MB at home in 5 PC's at my house and all of them work just fine.

I think its just how people are, something stands out as good and people gravitate towards it..

I think its just how people are, something stands out as good and people gravitate towards it..

It's history and reputation inertia. 10 years ago Asus was significantly better than everyone else, and that reputation lingers.

It's history and reputation inertia. 10 years ago Asus was significantly better than everyone else, and that reputation lingers.

That was a long time ago, I mean, when Abit and Asus were the two best you could buy, I could understand it, but since then, too many other companies are producing products just as good these days.

Lots of companies making motherboards equally as good as Asus these days if not better in many ways. I can't speak for Asus video cards as I've never used one, but the damn GTX 6xx and 79xx series horror stories are enough to push me off from them.

That was a long time ago, I mean, when Abit and Asus were the two best you could buy, I could understand it, but since then, too many other companies are producing products just as good these days.

I agree, but once people get a name in their head, it sticks.

One thing I must admit is that Asus's mobo naming system is crazy.

A couple goodies I remember were the Asus P4B266 or P4S8X-X and the Abit IC7.
Back a few years BFGtech had true lifetime warranty on their GPUs. RIP BFGtech.
Gigabyte has grown bigger with regards to mobos. EP35 and EP45-UD3R and UD3P were/are very popular. The one in bold I've had running for almost 4 years.

Over the years one company will not always be the best. It takes good products, features, support, and warranty.
Welcome to the asylum. vvvvvvvvvvvv

23tiexj.jpg

Back