About to pull the upgrade trigger

darktiger

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - April 2007
I am consider upgrading my i7-3770k to i7-6700k (or 6800k). One of the main reason is my i7-3770 would be a great spare PLEX server. My old plex cannot really handle multiple 720/1080p streams. I could get a dual CPU Xeon server off ebay for good prices. But I could use that money towards a new system.. plus my wife gave me the okay.

I use my computer for medium gaming, photoshop, general usage, light video editing, etc.

So I am looking at getting the following
Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero
Corsair 32GB 2 x 16GB DDR4-2666
Samsung M.2 850 EVO
i7-6700K

The rest of my build I am just going to reuse my old stuff.. which is still good since I have added since 2012.

What do you all think? Upgrade and use my old system as Plex or buy a dual cpu Xeon server and upgrade my main computer when Kabby Lake processors become more available.

I am consider upgrading my i7-3770k to i7-6700k (or 6800k). One of the main reason is my i7-3770 would be a great spare PLEX server. My old plex cannot really handle multiple 720/1080p streams. I could get a dual CPU Xeon server off ebay for good prices. But I could use that money towards a new system.. plus my wife gave me the okay.

I use my computer for medium gaming, photoshop, general usage, light video editing, etc.

So I am looking at getting the following
Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero
Corsair 32GB 2 x 16GB DDR4-2666
Samsung M.2 850 EVO
i7-6700K

The rest of my build I am just going to reuse my old stuff.. which is still good since I have added since 2012.

What do you all think? Upgrade and use my old system as Plex or buy a dual cpu Xeon server and upgrade my main computer when Kabby Lake processors become more available.

Thats funny...I was thinking of doing the same thing. I'd go with 6700k if you like overclocking your cpu to higher clocks. But I'm in the same boat, since I stream I think the 6800k 6 core would be a better fit. Either one will be a nice upgrade from those [H]ot ivy bridge. (y)

If money is tight and you could use it for a bigger drive (or something else), know that NVME (m.2) drives are no faster for gaming than a good SATA III SSD: NVME / RAM Drive / RAID / SATA III SSD Game Load Time Comparisons

Going NVME certainly won't hurt gaming, but food for thought.

His list of parts includes an 850 EVO. That's the budget SATA drive, not nVME. m.2 slot doesn't mean it's nVME.

I agree that the 850 EVO is overpriced for the capacity, but we're only talking a $40 difference here between it and the Crucial MX300 at 512gb:

https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-MX300-750GB-Internal-Solid/dp/B01IAGSD68?th=1.

But at 1TB, the price difference jumps to over $50, so if you wan that much space, you might want to consider Crucial instead?

I know, the model numbers for Samsung are infinitely confusing, especially now that they've introduced the 960 EVO.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
His list of parts includes an 850 EVO. That's the budget SATA drive, not nVME. m.2 slot doesn't mean it's nVME.

I agree that the 850 EVO is overpriced for the capacity, but we're only talking a $40 difference here between it and the Crucial MX300 at 512gb:

https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-MX300-750GB-Internal-Solid/dp/B01IAGSD68?th=1.

But at 1TB, the price difference jumps to over $50, so if you wan that much space, you might want to consider Crucial instead?

I know, the model numbers for Samsung are infinitely confusing, especially now that they've introduced the 960 EVO.

Right you are - my eyes must be going bad as I thought I saw 950 pro!

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back