About to Pull Trigger - Anything Better for the Price?

BlackTigers91

2[H]4U
audiono2.jpg

Stepping up from onboard sound and a pair of Sony walkman headphones!

I need something new because I currently game on speakers, and speakers + parents room at 1 AM is a no-go! So, what do you guys think about this combo? Anything I can get that's nicer for around $120?

those are really nice headphones... im using them now! :D they will sound better after a couple weeks or so too.

if you game then get an x-fi. otherwise the cpu takes a pretty good sized hit.

the headphones are ok. the Senn 555s are a step up but either is much better than PC speakers in general.

You should also note, that while the Chaintech sounds good it had a hard time driving even my easy to drive a900s when I had them.

Well, the Sony receiver that I use for my desktop speakers (Insignia NSB-211) has a headphone jack, so could I simply plug the phones into the receiver? I know that should be enough to power them, right? Becasue I don't see a dedicated amp in the near future...

yeah it will do ok. a dedicated amp can cost anywhere b/w $20-$5000 so there's a few options out there lol.

Yeah, plug the reciever to the center/sub output and the headphones to the reciever, it should have some kind of built in preamp for the headphones. Only the black sub/center output has the nice DAC on it. All the other outputs sound mediocre. Great sound card for the $$ though.

Well, the Sony receiver that I use for my desktop speakers (Insignia NSB-211) has a headphone jack, so could I simply plug the phones into the receiver? I know that should be enough to power them, right? Becasue I don't see a dedicated amp in the near future...

That'll do perfectly.

Wait...you game in your parents' room at 1:00 AM?

Anyway. Those are some solid cans. A little warm sounding, but unless you're specifically going for audiophile sound representation (which you obviously aren't yet with that sound card) all that means is that you get some extra thump in your bass. Easy to drive with an iPod, etc., but your receiver will definitely help the sound open up a little.

I think he meant gameing near his parents room, lol game in his parents room that's great. I could just image that. That'd make a nice commercial for selling headphones.

Back