Absolutely the most reliable nforce2 mobo out there?

What is the absolutely most reliable motherboard based on the nforce2 chipset that is available? My an35-n has stopped working twice now and it's time to try something different.

I had heard that the an35n was a reliable board itself. you should probably take advantage of the warranty if yours isn't working. The abit nf7-s has a great reputation for being a very solid board with great options.

I have two nforce 2 boards,Asus A7N8X-Deluxe rev.2.00 and Abit NF7-S rev. 2.00. I have had the Asus since they first come out and its rock solid and has plenty of features. Just picked up the Abit board so I cannot comment on it yet, but everything I have read says the board kicks butt and is a good overclocker. Coundnt go wrong with either board.

MrDux

i heard that the asus a7n8x boards are very troublesome. is this true and is it safe for any n00b to go out and pick up one of these and be able to set it up without any difficulties w/ the board?

An A7N8X was my first real new motherboard, so yes they are good for n00bs. As long as you have the basic knowledge of computing. It was the first system I built, but it is my fifth computer.

I have a Biostar M7NCD Pro (no the Ultra) and its 100% trouble free. It runs 24/7 and m 2400+ is OCed to 2.17Ghz on basic air cooling.

Just a thought - its not the most expensive board, but its been very good to me. :cool:

furiousfords89 said:
i heard that the asus a7n8x boards are very troublesome. is this true and is it safe for any n00b to go out and pick up one of these and be able to set it up without any difficulties w/ the board?

Troublesome? No.

I've built 3 complete systems with the A7N8X.

Troublesome at getting high FSB overclocks (easily)? Maybe. The A7N8X in that case isn't the best overclocked when you compare it to a DFI or NF7-S.

Chalk up another vote for the NF7-S v2 - I've had mine since September of last year, running my Barton core 2500+ at 2.3ghz on air, 24/7 stable ever since.

Just bear in mind that most motherboard makers have really pulled it together as there is a shrinking market and the last thing they need to do is piss in a customers cornflakes... I dont remember have a bad MoBo since the Athlon XP/P4 started hiting the market.

You could end up with a lemon Asus or Abit, it does happen but getting a biostar, ECS, or gigabyte would yeald a board that is rock solid on its own. If you are not planning to OC then i wouldnt worry too much. Find one with the features you want and for a price you are willing to pay.

Kroz

well i've got a shuttle an35 and it's been working GREAT, so mmaybe just try agian..they're so cheap you can buy a couple ;)

if you want a nf7-s, you better hurry up.. they won't be around much longer, as they're out of production.. retailers are running out of stock..

For me, I switched from an A7N8X Deluxe rev 1.04 to my Abit NF7-S, and both have been great boards.. but I have to tip my hand to the Abit, as it lets my OC past 185.. ;) Plus I really like the level of control I have in the bios compared to my Asus.. I had to use a hacked bios to get the same features in the bios as my Abit has by default.

My only complaint is the placement of the power header, but it's not too bad..

My A7N8X-E Deluxe 2.0 has been nothing but pure awesome since I got it. No troubles here. The Abits are equally, if not better boards (prolly better for oc'ing).. ;)

Hey Jackie, I'm sorry but I'm absolutely jealous of your 214 FSB @ only 1.625Vcore.

Did you raise your chipset voltage at all to get that? Even @ 1.7Vcore, my setup REFUSES to do 215FSB (11X multiplier) ~ 2365, while it can do 2600Mhz @ 209 (only 6 less FSB) at the same Vcore...ugggh

well, 2.6Ghz is nothing to complain about -_-

Mav451 said:
Hey Jackie, I'm sorry but I'm absolutely jealous of your 214 FSB @ only 1.625Vcore.

Did you raise your chipset voltage at all to get that? Even @ 1.7Vcore, my setup REFUSES to do 215FSB (11X multiplier) ~ 2365, while it can do 2600Mhz @ 209 (only 6 less FSB) at the same Vcore...ugggh

well, 2.6Ghz is nothing to complain about -_-

Yeah, see... it's weird... i've tried a few different ways so far, and this is the most stable yet... This is the highest i've gone on the low vcore... i'm going to try pumping this thing soon, and see how high i can go. :D

sigh, you're just gonna be another 2.7Ghz on Air (but with 220+ FSB). Grrrrrr :p

i dont give a shit what board or brand you buy, there are always lemons.

You know, that's a good point.

Maybe the more important question is with the online retailers you go with.

As long as you stick to the big boys: Newegg, GameVE, eXcaliber, ZipZoomFly (formerly Googlegear), et al

You'll be fine. Go with a no-name pricewatch company and they might not even let you RMA. Newegg and GameVE were very professional and quick with their RMA service.

Back