Absurd: Anand overclocks conroe to 4+ GHZ easily on air

Sharky974

Identified Troll
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2795&p=18

Enthusuasts have not seen overclocking like this since Socket 478 days, and in fact Core 2 may be even better. The 2.4GHz E6600, which outperformed the FX-62 in most benchmarks at stock speed costs $223, and overclocked to 4Ghz with excellent air cooling. With that kind of performance, value, and overclocking the E6600 will likely become the preferred chip for serious overclockers - particularly those that are looking for champagne performance on a smaller budget.

So $223 for a chip that might be what, 2X a FX-62 when fully overclocked?

This is pretty much one of the only times in your life that you will see something with "no compromises".

speed
power consumption
price
overclocking (67% increase on air for E6600!!!!)

Incredible. No wonder I hear of so many 50 year-old dudes on the PC-overclock forums salivating like teenage boys for Conroe.

so let's get this straight...
conroe e6600: $319
amd athlon fx-62: $1059

so, conroe can be almost twice as fast as an fx-62 AND IT'S 1/3 OF THE PRICE!?!?!?!?!?!
how does amd expect to sell ANY procs??????

GMoney42392 said:

Simple - draw on what uneducated people (i.e. moms, dads, office joes etc etc, roughly 75% of the market) conceive to be fastest based on what they 'heared somewhere'. Intel did that for the last two years (and quite successfully), so I guess now it's AMDs part ;)

They are out of luck because moms, dads, and office joes are very unlikely to waste $1059 on a processor. Also, intel is sure to advertise the hell out of conroes. I guess amd is just screwed for now.

GMoney42392 said:

so, conroe can be almost twice as fast as an fx-62 AND IT'S 1/3 OF THE PRICE!?!?!?!?!?!
they will keep the topoftheline fx's in the same price range and release new fxs'. then they will drop prices on old techonlogy by 50% and then be more competitive and strike out with another new core. but then again the transition will be 1 yr. so you can have a nice conroe pc for 1 yr and then make a change. GOOD DEAL? sounds good to me since i change comp every 1 yr anyways.

wizzackr said:
Simple - draw on what uneducated people (i.e. moms, dads, office joes etc etc, roughly 75% of the market) conceive to be fastest based on what they 'heared somewhere'. Intel did that for the last two years (and quite successfully), so I guess now it's AMDs part ;)

good point. i fell victim to that same thing 3 years ago wen i built my current pc :( .

Single pi on conroe isnt a measure of dual core stablity.

HIghest dual prime x6800 ive seen @ XS is @ 3.6ghz on water... temps got above 52c also.

fhpchris said:

HIghest dual prime x6800 ive seen @ XS is @ 3.6ghz on water... temps got above 52c also.
air coooling is never sufficient. i'm waiting for someone to test retail conroe on water or phase.

chinked|out said:
air coooling is never sufficient. i'm waiting for someone to test retail conroe on water or phase.

no, but it is what everyone uses and cares about the results for...

All we need now is a motherboard that doesn't cost $250 but can still support 400MHz+ bus speeds. :eek:

GMoney42392 said:

I was thinking of this while reading the [H] review this morning. With my current system, I could spend $1059 just to upgrade the CPU. If I make the move to Intel and Core 2 Duo, I would have to not only buy the CPU, but a new mobo and DDR2 RAM. That is still going to put me around the same amount of money. However, going the Intel route, I'm dropping the cash into a "dead" technology. At least I'm more or less futureproofed my mobo and ram for another 24 months.

Kevl4R said:
I was thinking of this while reading the [H] review this morning. With my current system, I could spend $1059 just to upgrade the CPU. If I make the move to Intel and Core 2 Duo, I would have to not only buy the CPU, but a new mobo and DDR2 RAM. That is still going to put me around the same amount of money. However, going the Intel route, I'm dropping the cash into a "dead" technology. At least I'm more or less futureproofed my mobo and ram for another 24 months.

How is going with intel throwing money away into "dead technology?"

Conroe does seem like a good proc for a good price, but for me and alot of other people thiers just nothing really worth upgrading for right now, I'm just going to wait as long as I can untill I feel the need to upgrade.

dagon11985 said:
How is going with intel throwing money away into "dead technology?"

Swap Intel out with AMD and it should make more sense....my bad.

and u can sell your current setup for cash for the new project too (ie amd cpu, mobo, ddr1)

Kevl4R said:

Actually if you were to try to go to FX-62 you would have to do the same thing.
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Weblets/0,,7832_8366_609,00.html

FX-62 is AM2 only so you would still be buying motherboard and RAM (based on your sig.)

Brian Taylor

alan2990 said:
This is pretty much one of the only times in your life that you will see something with "no compromises".

speed
power consumption
price
overclocking (67% increase on air for E6600!!!!)

Incredible. No wonder I hear of so many 50 year-old dudes on the PC-overclock forums salivating like teenage boys for Conroe.
exactly. Considering that the sample size is ONE, we can surely jump to conclusions that all E6600s are going to overclock like that. I am excited to get my little, dirty hands on one or two of them :)hardware AMD intel dell ATi nvidia asus seagate samsung xeon compaq serial ata sata ram

I haven't seen any other site reporting overclocks that high, and AT has a history of reporting ridiculous overclocks only to have retail parts fall far short of what AT reported. IMO, 4ghz on air will be very rare, if not outright BS. Personally, I'll be happy if I can take a 6600 up to ~3ghz on air and stock or less than 110% stock volts. From what I've seen and heard, this doesn't sound like too much of an unrealistic goal.

drizzt81 said:
exactly. Considering that the sample size is ONE, we can surely jump to conclusions that all E6600s are going to overclock like that. I am excited to get my little, dirty hands on one or two of them :)hardware AMD intel dell ATi nvidia asus seagate samsung xeon compaq serial ata sata ram

thats the thing with overclocking, its not like we have a huge sample size ever...Assumptions on overclocking are often drawn on low sample sizes. And please lets point out that the people who post their overclocks are usually the people who achieve greater overclocks essentially. Their is huge selection bias. Basically, efforts to generalize overlcocking potential of certain CPU's is often confounded by multiple varaibles and their is definetely no scientificly valid way of saying this chip clocks like this and this chip clocks like that. Ive recommended lots of chips for people who are just starting to overclock and its ALL hit or miss. Of course there are variations by steppings and all that, so people try there to make generalizations but on biased data and no statistical significance. It seems that the AMD 3200+ was a great overlcoker on the AMD forum for a while. Why is that? Because it was cheap (so more people bought thus yielding more results) and the people who posted their results were mainly high overclockers. Just buy the chip you like and try and overclock it b/c statisticaklly they all have the same ability or lack thereof.

Myabe if CPU-Z had a more detailed breakdown of their huge sample size we could start to ATTEMPT to analyze OC performance based on CPU type, but until then....

Moral of the story - dont listen to any overclocking BS

drizzt81 said:
hardware AMD intel dell ATi nvidia asus seagate samsung xeon compaq serial ata sata ram[/color]

WTF is that, you made it the same color as the forum background.... Looks like search parameters or something...

Glyphic said:
WTF is that, you made it the same color as the forum background.... Looks like search parameters or something...

Probably a glitch in that awesome Intellitext stuff.

AndoOKC1 said:
thats the thing with overclocking, its not like we have a huge sample size ever...Assumptions on overclocking are often drawn on low sample sizes. And please lets point out that the people who post their overclocks are usually the people who achieve greater overclocks essentially. Their is huge selection bias. Basically, efforts to generalize overlcocking potential of certain CPU's is often confounded by multiple varaibles and their is definetely no scientificly valid way of saying this chip clocks like this and this chip clocks like that. Ive recommended lots of chips for people who are just starting to overclock and its ALL hit or miss. Of course there are variations by steppings and all that, so people try there to make generalizations but on biased data and no statistical significance. It seems that the AMD 3200+ was a great overlcoker on the AMD forum for a while. Why is that? Because it was cheap (so more people bought thus yielding more results) and the people who posted their results were mainly high overclockers. Just buy the chip you like and try and overclock it b/c statisticaklly they all have the same ability or lack thereof.

Myabe if CPU-Z had a more detailed breakdown of their huge sample size we could start to ATTEMPT to analyze OC performance based on CPU type, but until then....

Moral of the story - dont listen to any overclocking BS
that was my point. I was just being sarcastic about it that way the f4nboyos would stay off my tail.

fhpchris said:

QFT

super pi stability does not wow me

dual prime for 12 plus hrs does

No, you need to use a tower120 to get 4ghz on air. And go to the extreme forums for proof of this. Conroe is pritty extreme. The world recoard is 5.3ghz on phase. Unbeleavable at times. But too many ppl have the chips that get the same results. Its very real.

drizzt81 said:
N_2 does not change phase to cool the CPU?

Yes, it does, but that's not phase in the tradditional sense. Phase means phase change that lasts a while like Vapochill, Prometia...etc.

Technically, you could say that any air cooling system with heatpipes is also "phase".

Maybe he wanted to Intellitext to decide for him what hardware to get. Oh, and will you look at what it chose... :p

(^the above was sarcasm)

Serge84 said:
No, you need to use a tower120 to get 4ghz on air. And go to the extreme forums for proof of this. Conroe is pritty extreme. The world recoard is 5.3ghz on phase. Unbeleavable at times. But too many ppl have the chips that get the same results. Its very real.

Unfortunately, 4GHz on air is going to be benchmark only. 3.8GHz, 24/7 stable will be the max on air for a while. This came directly from the WR holder.

Asian Dub Foundation said:
QFT

super pi stability does not wow me

dual prime for 12 plus hrs does
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=106285
upto 3.8 on stock vcore and oh prime stable for 7 hours 43 mins and 19 seconds when the pic was posted. oh yea E6600...

Sabrewulf165 said:
I haven't seen any other site reporting overclocks that high, and AT has a history of reporting ridiculous overclocks only to have retail parts fall far short of what AT reported. IMO, 4ghz on air will be very rare, if not outright BS. Personally, I'll be happy if I can take a 6600 up to ~3ghz on air and stock or less than 110% stock volts. From what I've seen and heard, this doesn't sound like too much of an unrealistic goal.
just got owned...

sculelos said:
Conroe does seem like a good proc for a good price, but for me and alot of other people thiers just nothing really worth upgrading for right now, I'm just going to wait as long as I can untill I feel the need to upgrade.

If only more people were this smart, and only upgraded when their systems "really" needed to, not just to say " yeah i am 1337 i got a new conroe system", yeah my dual core opteron @ 2.5ghz just wasnt cutting it for my forum posting and the odd game here and there.

wizzackr said:

that and come up with another naming scheme for their processors...

in the past we had 3000+ and so forth...

now they will call them "UBER3000+++ HIGHLY RECOMMENDED CPU!!!"

as far as the upgrade route goes... I envy you people who can afford to drop cash on an entire new system. I finally got to water cool my prescott 3.4gz, I have two gigs of ram, and an x850 AGP.

And since no one has made any good games besides battlefield 2, I see no real reason to upgrade yet. Give me a game that I need to have a rig that fast to play that has some real replay value and i'd think about starting to save up.

oh wait... i forgot... I have to my up for my dick size with a fast computer... lol, give me a break, i'll keep my cash in the bank to collect intrest... yah, so what if I only get about 2 dollars a year???? wanna fight about it?

My current rig does a great job of playing BF2 at 1380x1024 or something close to that, widescreen, and it looks great. And you know what? I could give a shit less how many 3dmarks I have becuase i'll jump on any game thats a first person shooter and demolish 93% of the people I encounter - so long as I have at least 45 frames per second... but that just comes from being a FPS gamer since wolf3d

Wow.. this thread is idk.. just wow

I've only seen 2-3 results for RETAIL conroes and they do not clock that good. My ES e6600 does 3.6ghz 9hrs prime stable, on a crappy $10 coolermaster cooler. *I think my e-penis just got bigger* I don't think 4ghz on AIR is un-attainable.

The fact of the matter is, no one really knows how RETAIL conroe's are going to clock. If you want 4ghz on AIR, but a Step 5 ES chip, they are the best.

To each his own on upgrading, i don't do it for my "e-penis" size, i love playing with new hardware. I don't think I keep a system longer than 6months.

As soon as I see some Tforce style motherboards, and I mean moderately priced boards with ALOT of overclocking ability, I'm gonna be all over conroe like white on rice. I really like this 65nm stuff.

MrGuvernment said:
If only more people were this smart, and only upgraded when their systems "really" needed to, not just to say " yeah i am 1337 i got a new conroe system", yeah my dual core opteron @ 2.5ghz just wasnt cutting it for my forum posting and the odd game here and there.

I think thats an unfair observation. We should'nt diss on people just because we dont agree with what they are spending their money on. I for one really enjoy playing with different builds and checking out new technology.

^^ i can agree with that, it is nice to play with new toys to get familiar with them.

And i am not one to judge how people spend thier money, but some people could be alot "smarter" about thier money.

Back