Acard 9010 ram-drive freezes during writes

rabident

Limp Gawd
Running the drive as a boot disk, it's blazing fast, but I get random system freezes for 5 - 20 seconds under Vista32. XP as a boot drive seems to run fine. I also tried using it as a data disk under Vista64 and the drive freezes up there too. I can reproduce the problem running HDTach Pro write test on Vista. I only have the problem on writes. Once the data is written it reads fine.

There was a problem with the Intel Matrix Storage drivers included with Vista (7.5) that caused SATA freeze ups. It was fixed after 7.5 but one of the work arounds Intel listed was to run the controller in IDE mode which is how I started, so I don't think this is the issue. Plus I have a Velociraptor on the same sata controller with zero issues. I tried installing 8.5 for the hell of it, but it says I don't meet the minimum requirements for the install (which I assume is because I'm not running RAID or AHCI).

My SATA controller is x58 set to Enhanced, but in IDE instead of RAID or AHCI mode. I have the JMicron controller on my Asus P6T Deluxe disabled. BIOS is set to non-PNP OS. So far the issue seems confined to Vista. Any suggestions?

Please save the wise cracks about dropping Vista. I obviously know that's an option, but for the sake of DX10 support I am looking for constructive suggestions to me help get things working in Vista.

I'm not real familiar with that drive, but it looks like it mirrors to a CF card. What you're describing sounds like the freezing you get with a cheap MLC SSD drive. What kind of CF card are you using?

I am not using the optional CF card with it. Just 8 x 2GB of Kingston ddr2 ram from their recommended/compatibility list.

Back