Accelero S1 cooler in a Dell XPS 420 case?

rbanzai

Limp Gawd
My brother and I are buying my father a Dell XPS 420 for his 70th birthday. He's a gamer and is using a pretty old Alienware machine right now for Half Life 2 deathmatches.

I've ordered it with an 8800GT but I'm interested in adding the Accelero S1 cooler to help keep the noise down. He has a small office for his telecommuting rig as well as his gaming machine and the less noise for him, the better.

The Accelero S1 cooler seems very well regarded but the concern appears to be size. Even with the measurements I can't tell if it will fit in the XPS 420 case. Does anyone have any experience with this? Or do you just have to buy it and return it if it doesn't fit?

Thanks

Dell PC's ae known for being quiet You may want to wait

My XPS 410 is super quiet 12 inches away

Dell PC's ae known for being quiet You may want to wait

My XPS 410 is super quiet 12 inches away

the dells themselves may be quiet, but if you have a really loud card inside its not gonna help much

but i agree, might as well wait

I was wondering as well if it will fit in the XPS 420. Looks like the Accelero will stick up above the top of the video card by several inchhes so it might be a close fit.

For the people who don't think it's necessary, please keep in mind that the stock cooler on the 8800GT is very poor and most people are getting full load temps around 80-90C. Using the Accelero S1 I would guess that the temps will be less than 65C without even using a fan.

Sorry to raise this thread but did anyone determine whether or not the Accelero S1 will fit inside the XPS case? I have an XPS 410 case and it would appear that the S1 will stick out too far to get the side panel back on again but I'm not sure so I don't want to purchase one yet.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated,

Drivie

Back