Acer 1619W ASD and X700 - "No Signal" - Ideas?!?!

v1perfan

n00b
Hi All,

This past weekend, I upgraded to an Acer 1916W ASD LCD panel. The thing works great...

EXCEPT

Any game I now play will work fine for about five minutes (I have timed it to see when it happens), and then the LCD panel will keep losing the signal with the system. It will keep flipping between the game and "no signal" message until I shut down the game. When it gets back to the desktop (or if I work in any other application that is not a game), it works great.

I thought it might have something to do with the drivers. I updated to the latest ATi Radeon drivers. No dice. I then tried the Omega Drivers for ATi. Still no dice.

I thought it might have something to do with the powersave functions or screen saver, so I disabled and shut them down. Still nothing. I then upgraded the DirectX to see if it would fix it. It didn't.

I'm wondering if it has something to do with DirectX? As I said, it only happens when I play a game that uses DirectX. Also, regardless of what resolution/refresh I used, the system will still start flipping out after five minutes.

I have this LCD panel connected to the DVI port on a Sapphire X700 (Pro?) PCIe card.

Could it be a compatibility issue between the card and the LCD panel, or does it sound like a s/w issue? I just reinstalled XP earlier this week before I picked up my LCD. I'd hate to go out and pick up a new video card to find out it didn't help (although I have been thinking of dumping ATi altogether and going with another NVidia chipset...).

Any ideas on what I should check next would be most appreciated.

Here's the specs on my machine:

Operating System: Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600)

Processor:
2.00 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64
128 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Main Circuit Board:
Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. A8N-E 2.XX
Serial Number: 123456789000
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD ASUS A8N-E ACPI BIOS Revision 1008 08/22/2005

Drives:
400.00 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
37.26 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

AOPEN DUW1608/ARR [CD-ROM drive]
KA2808S ZKY566T SCSI CdRom Device [CD-ROM drive]

Generic STORAGE DEVICE USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 6
Generic STORAGE DEVICE USB Device [Hard drive] (57 MB) -- drive 4
Generic STORAGE DEVICE USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 3
Generic STORAGE DEVICE USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 5
SAMSUNG HD080HJ [Hard drive] (80.03 GB) -- drive 2, s/n S08EJ20Y923665, rev WT100-33, SMART Status: Healthy
WDC WD1600JD-75HBB0 [Hard drive] (160.00 GB) -- drive 1
WDC WD1600JD-75HBB0 [Hard drive] (160.00 GB) -- drive 0

Memory Modules:
1024 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'A0' is Empty
Slot 'A1' is Empty
Slot 'A2' is Empty
Slot 'A3' has 1024 MB

Controllers:
Primary IDE Channel [Controller] (3x)
Secondary IDE Channel [Controller] (3x)
Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller (3x)

Bus Adapters:
NERO IMAGEDRIVE SCSI Controller
VAXSCSI Controller
Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller

Display:
RADEON X700 Series (Omega 3.8.291) [Display adapter]
RADEON X700 Series Secondary (Omega 3.8.291) [Display adapter]
Default Monitor

Multimedia:
MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device
NVIDIA(R) nForce(TM) Audio
NVIDIA(R) nForce(TM) Audio Codec Interface
Standard Game Port

Other Devices:
HID-compliant consumer control device
USB Human Interface Device (3x)
Hewlett-Packard ScanJet 2200C
Microsoft USB Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 (IntelliType Pro)
Logitech HID-compliant Cordless Mouse
NVIDIA Network Bus Enumerator
USB Composite Device
USB Mass Storage Device
USB Root Hub (2x)

As for a power supply, I'm running an Enermax EG365P-VE.

I've tried running the drivers for the LCD panel from Acer (which are not WHLQ certified), and I still receive the same results.

Also, this machine has never been overclocked.

Finally, does anyone else have this LCD panel? If you do, what do you run for a video card?

Thanks,

/b;

Yep I have that exact same monitor as you (mines silver). I havent had any issues with my 6800u and this monitor. My brother has one to and his has no issues either(he has 6800 vanilla). Its a great monitor!

I have the 24" version and I get the same no signal crap. I don't know what it is but it is the monitor. The no signal pops up about every minute but I can still type and see everything except the "NO SIGNAL" popup is right in the middle of the screen and blocks the middle of my screen. I can't x it out or anything like a popup, its just there and wrong because obviously I still have a signal. After about 30 seconds my screen goes blank and it reconnects itself. Then a minute later, the same thing.

Acer sucks? It appears so.

MX-6,

I resolved my issue by going back to my analog cable. Once I replaced it, I have not seen the message since then.

It appears that the LCD panel does not like the digital connection. Maybe when I switch video cards I'll go back and try the digital cable.

Brian.

My problem went away the same night I posted here about it. I think I changed the resolution or some setting and it stopped doing it. The thing is, it started when I was playing Madden 07. As soon as I started the game I started getting no signal messages. Then when I closed out the game I still was getting them. Restarting the computer didn't fix anything. I thought it was just a coincidence at the time and changing the resolution fixed it.

I'm sure thats not the case now. I went back to my old resolution yesterday 1920x1200. And it has worked fine until I started playing Madden again tonight. Now I get the same thing even in windows. Whatever I did before worked but I'm not sure what it was that I did.

I guess I'll have to start screwing with the settings again and see what happens. And I wont be playing madden anymore until I figure out what the problem is.Madden must be switching something and I can't find anything on the net about it.

I think I figured it out. I went into the monitors menu on the monitor and clicked on digital input even though it already said digital input and it's not popping up anymore. So I guess somehow Madden is looking for an analog input or something.

That may be the same issue that you were having as well. I don't know. It's like the monitor still works but it thinks its using analog which it isn't.

Weird.

Well, no matter what I do I can't seem to be able to play Madden on this thing. I guess I could change out the cable and use the analog cable. I'm not sure if the quality will be as good though.

What the display seems to be doing is when I start the game it says that the resolution is 800x600 on the display menu. It's actually wrong since I was trying to get it to work at a much higher resolution but the game doesn't support 1920x1200 which sucks.

When I set the game to 1280x960 the display shows the correct resolution but when I start an actual game in Madden I get the damned No Signal window in the middle of the screen and the only was to get rid of it is to ctrl+alt+delete because alt+tab doesn't work in the game.

So that sucks. Maybe I'll have to mess with some things like vertical sync and other settings to see what works. I can't find much on the net about other people having this problem so I guess not many people with Acer 24" displays play madden or my monitor had a problem.

I have the 1916 silver ws and i'm running a 1900GT and i've never had a problem, i'm using the DVI cable.

I'm having the exact same problem. "No signal" began appearing this morning for no apparent reason. I had been watching Windows Media Center the night before, and lo the next morning the signal was no. This occurs in BIOS, in SuSE 10.2, in Windows XP, and Windows Vista. This leads me to believe it's not a problem with refresh rates or resolution, as it occurs in BIOS.

Disconnecting the power and reconnecting it seems to have fixed it for now, but all other attempts at modifying settings were in vain.

I just got this monitor and when I turn it off and leave it for 20+ minutes it gets a signal but won't display anything. It some times flashes my desktop but only for .5 second. Sometimes it wont even get a sginal.. I'm using the DVI cable it came with.

Wow, after a year and a half this no signal crap started again.

Nothing fixes it 100% of the time.

Sometimes changing the resolution in CC fixes it. Sometimes turning it off then back on fixes it. Sometimes unplugging the DVI cable fixes it but a lot of times it just keeps popping back up no matter what I do. The one good thing is that once I get it off the screen it doesn't come back until I reboot but now I don't want to turn my computer off. Also if the screensaver is on "No Signal" will be back after I return.

I have no idea what really will fix this problem, not sure how I got rid of it for almost 2 years but the damned shit it back. I think it may just be that the monitor wants a stronger signal but who knows how to make the video card output more voltage.

Back