Acer AL2051W high pitched noise

I have finally found an LCD with a picture I like, sharp text, great colors, but there's a problem. When I turn off my Acer AL2051W, I hear a high-pitched electronic whine coming from around the base area. It's not that loud, almost barely perceptible, but it's annoying when you do recognize it.

If I unplug the power, the noise goes away. Unplugging the audio input for the crappy base speaker has no effect. Does anyone else with an AL2051W experience this noise?

It seems to be getting worse. Now I hear it, louder, when the monitor is on. I tried decreasing brightness, but it didn't help. I guess this thing's going back to the store. My old Hitachi CRT is quieter than this thing.

Yes...I think it just works that way...I've seen a review said that the BENQ and ACER got this..

I pretty sure mine doesn't do that....although if it did I doubt I would hear it over my x1800xt as it is a little "whiney" sounding. Hopefully it's just that one so you can return it for one that doesn't.

Well, I took back the original for a replacement. The replacement makes the same annoying sound. I think I could deal with it if it just did it when it was on, competing with the sounds from my PC. However, it makes the same noise when it is off. I could unplug it everytime I turn it off, but that's just getting ridiculous.

So, back to the store this one goes, too. It's a shame because the Acer 2051W has a very nice picture. I think I'll stick with my 19-inch CRT for a while longer.

Back