Acer Aspire 8940g-6865

laguerre

[H]ard|Gawd
Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
Intel Core i7-720QM (1.6GHzGHz, 1333MHz FSB, 6MB Cache)
18.4" WUXGA FHD LCD display at 1920x1080
NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250M with 1GB GDDR3 memory
Intel 5100AGN Wireless, Broadcom Gigabit LAN
4GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM (2GB x 2)
500GB Western Digital 5400RPM Hard Drive
Blu-ray/DVD SuperMulti
Webcam, Acer CineSurround speakers, backlit keyboard

Anyone else own this computer? I'm curious what other [H]ard members think. I recently came into possession of one for work and I am damn impressed. I actually purchased this for a coworker and he didn't jive with the size, so fortunately for me, we swapped. When I purchased it, I didn't spend too much time digging for details, I just filtered search results for a 720QM with a videocard on the 40nm process. This one seemed like a good deal so I pulled the trigger.

After using is, to my surprise, I find that this thing has a Displayport Out and a second harddrive bay. I upgraded to 8Gb Ram, an OCZ Agility 60Gb SSD, and am in the process of getting a Dell U2410. The speakers are great, which normally I couldn't care less, so it's a nice bonus. The fit and finish are very nice.

Anyhow, I have a question. I have been up to this point bested by the three quick-keys to the left of the keyboard. One of them is the wifi switch. If my pinky finger brushes across the key, it will deactivate wifi, I have no idea how those keys are supposed to operate. I then spend 10 minutes finger fucking it, trying to turn get wifi to turn back on. Anyone have this down to an art, or is mine just faulty?

Also, I did a quick search and find very few details about this notebook. Was this thing a lemon, or did I just happen to catch a deal? Also, it seems like support is non-existent too, is that normal of Acer?

Back