Acer F-20 LCD

smilepak

Weaksauce
How many people here has this monitor. I read off Tom's Hardware, it comes with TV TUNER and REMOTE, but I don't see it in the spec or anywhere else. Is that an optional feature?

I have the F-20...only the European model has the tv tuner/remote and extra inputs. It's strange that Acer would only offer that model in Europe but not North America..and vice versa. First of all, the look of this thing is awesome...even if you're not a Ferrari freak (I'm not) you'll probably like the look. It's very tasteful though and not cheesy or over the top. As far as what panel it uses there is a debate...flatpanels.dk says P-MVA, Widescreengamingforum and tftcentral say S-IPS. Acer won't confirm but the UK site lists "Super-IPS" as the panel technology. Some say this is incorrect because the specs don't match known IPS panels...this is also incorrect. If you get the model # of the IPS panel used in the NEC 20WMGX2 and plug it into the LG/Philips site you will find 2 sets of specs...one of which matches the F-20 and seems to suggest 2 versions of the same panel. My monitor seems to exhibit the characteristics of IPS (viewing angle, slight purple/pink tint at extreme horizontal etc..) so I believe that is what I have.
In this thread http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1102723 (which nobody replied to) I show you how to get in the service menu...and the results seem to suggest that Acer uses S-IPS and/or P-MVA panels kind of like Dells panel lottery. Who knows what you'll get?
No matter what panel I really have, I have been pleased with the PQ of this monitor and much moreso since I invested in a Spyder2 pro hardware calibrator. I just replayed the original Call Of Duty this past weekend (with hacked ws res) and it looked and played wonderfully. Text on websites is also very easy to read. For the price I think the F-20 is a good value...especially if you get an IPS panel.

Interesting...

If using DV-I cable, it will force it to be in native resolution which is 1680x1050. If the game does not support that resolution, will there be a black top and bottom spot or how will the game look like?

I have an old ATI 9600 XT AGP card and might upgrade the video card, but not immediately until i get the dual core system setup.

Here is Tom's review on it if anyone is interested
http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/02/16/is_the_acer_f20_the_ferrari_of_lcd_monitors/

smilepak said:
Interesting...

If using DV-I cable, it will force it to be in native resolution which is 1680x1050. If the game does not support that resolution, will there be a black top and bottom spot or how will the game look like?

I have an old ATI 9600 XT AGP card and might upgrade the video card, but not immediately until i get the dual core system setup.

Here is Tom's review on it if anyone is interested
http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/02/16/is_the_acer_f20_the_ferrari_of_lcd_monitors/
So far I haven't had trouble widescreen gaming..the games I've played are: FEAR, AOE3, NFSMW, Flatout 2, Call of Duty....NFSMW and COD are the only ones I had to hack for ws but it was fairly simple. Go to www.widescreengamingforum.com and look at the master list..find the games you play and it will tell you if it supports ws natively and if not then how to hack it. Also, I have a 7900GT SLI so I don't have issues running eveything native res..YMMV.

edit- another review here http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2006/01/13/acer_ferrari_f20_lcd_monitor/1.html

Could any F-20 owner tell me if it allows you to adjust the aspect ratio and support 1:1 pixel mapping for non-native resolutions (via the monitor OSD, not the video card)?

It does not support aspect modes.

Also I have had issues with DVI on the monitor. VGA works fine, but with DVI it sometimes doesn't show DOS and doesn't display anything on restart unless I turn it off and turn it back on again.

No, the F-20 doesn't have hardware aspect ratios....very few monitors actually do though. If you have an Nvidia card it is fairly simple to set it up with the Forceware drivers. As far as ATI goes I have heard of some trouble with this but I don't know if it's been fixed now or not.

Back