Acer GD235HZbid 120Hz Monitor $200

This is the worst monitor that I have ever used. It has a noticeable input lag and unacceptable overdrive artifacts.

It also performs very poorly in 3d vision. It ghosts like crazy.

ati needs
HDMI 1.4a

No it doens't you can run 3d at 60fps per eye over DVI on the samsung displays with tri-def on AMD cards but yes this is a 3d vision only display and a shitty one at that.

Was looking to get a deal on this monitor a while ago, but decided to go with the Asus VG278H instead. Currently have both on my desk and it really stands out how different the two monitors are. I would say this is the monitor for you if you really want a cheap one that can do 120hz and 3D Vision, but from the quality I would say save another $150 up and look for anything else (the Alienware one has been known to come down to about $300).

IMG_0037.jpg

The one on the left is the Asus and the one on the right is the Acer that is on sale on the egg. It may no show it well but the Acer has gotten a lot darker and takes a while to warm up.

EDIT: The Stand is also pretty bad, that is a Neoflex stand I have on the Acer right there.

EDIT2: Sorry, I mixed up my left and right...sigh.

Last edited:
I would honestly take a good 60hz monitor over this pos.

You've got to remember that this is the first 1080p 120hz lcd display on the market and it shows. There are far better displays now. Just about anything else would be a step up from this.

This is the worst monitor that I have ever used. It has a noticeable input lag and unacceptable overdrive artifacts.

It also performs very poorly in 3d vision. It ghosts like crazy.

No it doens't you can run 3d at 60fps per eye over DVI on the samsung displays with tri-def on AMD cards but yes this is a 3d vision only display and a shitty one at that.

How bad is the input lag? 20ms or even higher?

Was looking to get a deal on this monitor a while ago, but decided to go with the Asus VG278H instead.

Would you say the VG278H is worth the price? I almost never see it go on a sale.. like a real sale. I've been waiting a while too. I have a Nvidia 670 and it seems the best option for 3d atm for a monitor.

I LOVE it, I bought it from Amazon before the midnight deadline for sales tax here in CA. It comes be default set really bright, but you can lower the brightness. There is an additional light boost that can be turned on for 3D Vision. It also comes with 3D Vision 2 transmitter build in and glasses, so another dongle I can get rid of my table. It is also 27" at 1080p resolution which seems to be a negative for a lot of people, doesn't bug me, makes me consider getting rid of my 32" 720P TV.

Would you say the VG278H is worth the price? I almost never see it go on a sale.. like a real sale. I've been waiting a while too. I have a Nvidia 670 and it seems the best option for 3d atm for a monitor.

You won't find a better 3d monitor. One other thing to keep in mind is that with a bigger display 3d effects are a bit more pronounced.

k, I was pretty sure that was the case. I thought about the BenQ but the extra cost of getting the glasses is prohibitive. I'll prolly order one soon. It's all I'm missing :p

I've had a few 120Hz monitors, and I do not experience the overdrive artifacts or input lag as described in previous comments.

I've only used the 3D feature once though, so I can't comment on it or the aforementioned ghosting.

I love this monitor and I think it's an incredible deal at this price.

The image you provided is not the Acer GD235HZbid but the Asus VG278H does look very nice next to that other monitor.

Was looking to get a deal on this monitor a while ago, but decided to go with the Asus VG278H instead. Currently have both on my desk and it really stands out how different the two monitors are. I would say this is the monitor for you if you really want a cheap one that can do 120hz and 3D Vision, but from the quality I would say save another $150 up and look for anything else (the Alienware one has been known to come down to about $300).

IMG_0037.jpg

The one on the right is the Asus and the one on the left is the Acer that is on sale on the egg. It may no show it well but the Acer has gotten a lot darker and takes a while to warm up.

EDIT: The Stand is also pretty bad, that is a Neoflex stand I have on the Acer right there.

The image you provided is not the Acer GD235HZbid but the Asus VG278H does look very nice next to that other monitor.

I think he just got his rights and lefts mixed up. The Acer is on the right using an after market stand. The Asus is on the left.

If you havn't gamed on a 120hz monitor... you have no business trashing it.

That other monitor is the Acer GD235HZ with a Neo Flex by Ergotron stand.

I'm confused, I thought the point of the image was to make the Acer look bad. To me the monitor on the right looks good and the monitor on the left looks bad (washed out) ..

Hows does this compare to the more expensive benq xl2420t?

Also OP the price is saying $249 now on Newegg. Did they change it?

You need to apply the promo code:

$50 off w/ promo code EMCYTZT2252, ends 9/27

Hows does this compare to the more expensive benq xl2420t?

Also OP the price is saying $249 now on Newegg. Did they change it?

I'm confused, I thought the point of the image was to make the Acer look bad. To me the monitor on the right looks good and the monitor on the left looks bad (washed out) ..

I'm trying to figure this out too, in person the acer is now to dark and the Asus looks good, but with my camera the Acer looks fine and the Asus looks washed out. As I've said the Asus comes very bright.

The Alienware 120hz is the one to get.

No its not. For pure 120hz use the Asus and samsung panels are the way to go. For 3d the Planar SA2311w, Benq 2420t, and 27" Asus are the way to go.

The alienware is pretty out dated too although still a lot better than this pos.

Back