Acer Travelmate 8100...Yummy!!!

Sidebar: How much extra power do the 7200rpm hds use? What about how much extra heat the generate?

I havent noticed any big differences in power usage with my upgrade...maybe a couple minutes. As far as heat, it MAY be a little warmer but I dont notice a difference.

It does get warmer. When I had the lid closed, the 4200RPM stock HDD didn't produce much heat while the new one did.

You're hijacking the hijacking! Yea, sorry about that. I didn't mean to change the subject THAT dramatically. I just saw the guy put in a 7200rpm hd and wondered how it affected everything. Lo Siento.

I'm looking at the acer 8100 too. I was going to build an asus m6ne, but i'll have to see how hte performance/price works out on them. The asus is kinda hard to find in the wild though.

just to inform you, the 60GB 7200RPM (hitachi) has a MUCH higher failure rate than a 4200 or 5400 rpm drive, so BACK up your data. The drive is hella fast but spinning @ 7200 and being hot all the time plus getting bumped in transport is less than ideal

klowngoblin said:
just to inform you, the 60GB 7200RPM (hitachi) has a MUCH higher failure rate than a 4200 or 5400 rpm drive, so BACK up your data. The drive is hella fast but spinning @ 7200 and being hot all the time plus getting bumped in transport is less than ideal
Link to the reports supporting your claim?

This is a model I'm currently interested in as well. I'd probably stick with the 100gb drive for a bit and see how it performs. Not sure on the platter sizes and such, but generally the larger the drive gets the better the performance is, or so I've read. Correct me if I'm remembering incorrectly. :confused:

Well, recently i think they've been shrinking the actual way in which the data is stored on the drive...so that means more data per area than before. So if the drive spins at the same speed, the performance COULD theoretically increase just by virtue of more data passing under the head at equal rpm readings than other drives....

Back