Achieva Shimian QH270| $400 IPS 2560x1440 Korean Monitor

I'd rather wait for the US ones anyway. At least then if it has a bunch of dead pixels I can return it without paying shipping..

If you have more then the posted amount of DEAD pixels they(seller) will pay for shipping in the end.

redcap has make offer but autorejects an offer 5 bucks below the BIN...LOL....why have the offer window there?

the only reason I havent pulled the trigger yet is I came across a couple 27" acer 120hz's and I am on the fence on getting one of those instead, i know, its crazy.....

Last edited:
redcap has make offer but autorejects an offer 5 bucks below the BIN...LOL....why have the offer window there?

the only reason I havent pulled the trigger yet is I came across a couple 27" acer 120hz's and I am on the fence on getting one of those instead, i know, its crazy.....

Maybe if you buy multiple, she/he'll let you make an offer of $5 less. shrug.

the acer's you speak of.. 1080p? or 1440p?

Do those panels have filters like apple cinema display has to smooth out pwm?
I seem to habe problems with flickering of the led panels except ACD

I really want an overclockable catleap but I just can't swing the $560 at the moment. I really hope that they come through with the pcbs at a reasonable price.

As a quick estimate, I'd say the PCB's will cost $150+, so while that plus a $300 Catleap makes less than $550, its still unfortunately not cheap. Plus wait time.

On the plus side, Scribby is attempting to set up a legitimate production of these in the U.S. but thats about everything we know. Rumoured pricing $400-450 which is pretty cool, though still obviously more than $300. ETA is god knows when though.

120hz.net is selling the 2B model now. Unfortunately the price has gone up to $555.55. There is about 25 left when I just checked.

Last edited:
As a quick estimate, I'd say the PCB's will cost $150+, so while that plus a $300 Catleap makes less than $550, its still unfortunately not cheap. Plus wait time.

On the plus side, Scribby is attempting to set up a legitimate production of these in the U.S. but thats about everything we know. Rumoured pricing $400-450 which is pretty cool, though still obviously more than $300. ETA is god knows when though.

the cat leaps are not $300, they're actually about $220, it's $80 for shipping, you can buy it locally off of the ebay sellers for $200-$220.

the cat leaps are not $300, they're actually about $220, it's $80 for shipping, you can buy it locally off of the ebay sellers for $200-$220.

Ok, so if I wanted to buy the Catleap right now in the bay area, could you link me to one of these Catleaps that you referenced for $220?

Asking becuase my buddy is about to pull the trigger on a Catleap and want to save him some dough.

Ok, so if I wanted to buy the Catleap right now in the bay area, could you link me to one of these Catleaps that you referenced for $220?

Asking becuase my buddy is about to pull the trigger on a Catleap and want to save him some dough.

Pretty sure he meant local to Korea ;)

The crowd looking to buy a monitor now and add a 2B PCB 6 months down the road are still paying $300 for them. I understand that shipping factors in to that... It factors into the PCB pricing too.

I am in no way commenting on the expense of making these monitors from scratch.

Yeah but I already have a Catleap that I've already pulled apart to throw on a new stand. So now I have to puy $550 up front and reassemble my display and try and sell it off to recoup some of that money.

It kills me to say this but I can wait. I just hope that Scribby pulls through with the pcbs.

holy ****. I am blown away by this awesome experience.

I ordered a Shimian QH270-LITE (with an offer of $305) from BigClothCraft on 7/4. It came in on 7/6 at 1pm EST. WHAT??? From Korea? That's insane. I was told I had a package and thought "there is no way it's the monitor." My jaw dropped when I saw the shape of the box.

Here is the unpacking:

Untitled by gnychis, on Flickr

(Carnegie Mellon and University of Pittsburgh)

It is *gorgeous* and seriously, I mean stunning. Pictures won't do it justice. I really don't see why people knock the Shimians as being "cheap" ... yeah the stand is a little wobbly if you wobble it :p Otherwise it stands up straight and sits there just find. The material is plastic, but I think it looks great. The display itself, again, just gorgeous. For $305, I feel like I just robbed someone.

I did some initial backlight and pixel tests and I see absolutely no dead or stuck pixels and no backlight issues. I'm not examining it with a microscope, but I see absolutely no glaring issues. This is exactly what I wanted, and I'm glad I purchased it. I don't care to examine it super close and find faults. If I can't naturally see any, who cares.

Highly recommend it, and bigclothcraft.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
holy ****. I am blown away by this awesome experience.

Highly recommend it, and bigclothcraft.

Hellz ya! I got the crossover.. but I think all in all, largely the same panels.. and your right..compared to anything domestic..these are a steal! Love mine! Gratz

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
does anyone know whats up with the catleaps that are tempered glass?
from the looks it seems just like a shimian?

Hellz ya! I got the crossover.. but I think all in all, largely the same panels.. and your right..compared to anything domestic..these are a steal! Love mine! Gratz

Congratz man! Welcome to the Korean Monitor Owner's Club or KMOC for short.

Thanks and thanks :D I am still in shocked-mode, and happy to be part of KMOC!

Last edited:
btw, what is the optimal eye level for a 27" monitor? right now my eye level is somewhere around the center of it and it's about 2 feet 8 inches away.

The optimal eye level for all monitors is the top of the monitor right at eye level. Due to the fact that alot of people sit at desks which are too tall or chairs that cannot go any higher though it is hard to pull off. This is speaking for ergonomics.

Unless your buddy lives in Korea, he'll have to pay it with the shipping cost.

I'm in Korea myself right now. You can only buy these monitors in seedy backalley shops where they sell counterfeit iPods. I think that should say something about these monitors, myself.

I'm in Korea myself right now. You can only buy these monitors in seedy backalley shops where they sell counterfeit iPods. I think that should say something about these monitors, myself.
Orly?? If that's true then yes that really does say alot about these monitors. :(

These and the other few discussed recently are more of the low class monitors in Korea... most higher end users there go with First (like A/A- panels) or Microboard (like Apple/Dell but slightly cheaper).

These and the other few discussed recently are more of the low class monitors in Korea... most higher end users there go with First (like A/A- panels) or Microboard (like Apple/Dell but slightly cheaper).

I've never seen either of those brands in the stores here in Korea. Got more information on them?

I'm still fucking waiting on my HP ZR30W. Been trying to get one here since March, but the assholes in my military post office keep fucking stealing them.

Orly?? If that's true then yes that really does say alot about these monitors. :(

I'd take a cheap IPS 1440p screen over a cheap TN 1080p screen, like 90% of the monitors you see over here, any day. It's not like the QC of these small, no-name companies is any worse than the cheap TNs sold here. The last TN I had had dark bands running across it. Sent it back, got a refurb with a stuck red pixel. Sold that, got a Crossover with 1 tiny dead pixel (or a piece of dust, can't quite tell) and some yellow tinting on some areas of the screen. It's still a much nicer monitor than the TN due to the colors and resolution.

I guess my point is cheap monitors are cheap monitors, they have their flaws. If you're a professional or these flaws would really bother you, pay the premium. Get an UltraSharp, HP IPS, ACD, Samsung PLS, etc. But for most other people, they can enjoy the benefits of a high resolution IPS without having to pay the premium.

If this is the low class stuff in Korea I would love to see the High End stuff I cant find anything in the USA that is as nice as this crossover without doubling the price, even then we are only talking about matching it. Long term reliability? pssht how many product do you find that just randomly crap out. Once something runs past a couple weeks it will probably go for years until you throw it out.

People really try to fear monger, but whatever more $1000 monitors for $300 for me.

If this is the low class stuff in Korea I would love to see the High End stuff I cant find anything in the USA that is as nice as this crossover without doubling the price, even then we are only talking about matching it. Long term reliability? pssht how many product do you find that just randomly crap out. Once something runs past a couple weeks it will probably go for years until you throw it out.

People really try to fear monger, but whatever more $1000 monitors for $300 for me.

No fear mongering here bro, just a simple fact. None of the legit Korean electronics stores will touch these brands. Take that or leave it.

I've never seen either of those brands in the stores here in Korea. Got more information on them?

If this is the low class stuff in Korea I would love to see the High End stuff I cant find anything in the USA that is as nice as this crossover without doubling the price, even then we are only talking about matching it.

My peeps there all get them online... its Korea, 95% of tech stuff will be done online, stores are for tourists and suckers unless u r buying handbags and clothes and food.

If u saw the Microboard display, it would be easy to see why Apple/Dell displays do not sell at all in Korea. Remember Koreans are the master of imitations... at the highest quality, not like China. In fact, a lot of times, like their cars, they imitate and actually improve, as u have seen in the Genesis. The Microboard has an awesome heat dissipating aluminum frame and when I played MOH on its 27" version, I literally felt like it was an Apple display I had used to graphic design work a year before. The stand is very well built, blah blah... basically its the same if not better A+ displays... and yes they guarantee no deads.

I have been looking into importing some but the shipping costs/tax whatever extras kill the deals for any worthwhile profit, its too bad.

Oh, I would love to go all off-topic on that whole Genesis platform "improvement" comment, but I'm not gonna bite on that other than to say, "if you say so."

If I am going to bite on a Microboard monitor, it has to be in a store. I may be in Korea, but my address is an American one. I suppose I can ask the local electronics store if they'd let me ship something to their store and pick it up from them for a small fee though.

Oh, I would love to go all off-topic on that whole Genesis platform "improvement" comment, but I'm not gonna bite on that other than to say, "if you say so."

If I am going to bite on a Microboard monitor, it has to be in a store. I may be in Korea, but my address is an American one. I suppose I can ask the local electronics store if they'd let me ship something to their store and pick it up from them for a small fee though.

Eh? You are in Korea but you are shipping it to the USA? I am sure it is in a store somewhere but a lot more expensive, just like here.

(Are you hinting that the Genesis is not a great car? Keep in mind this is coming from me, who doesnt even support Hyundai's anymore (personal reasons) and it was runner up Motor Trend COTY award only bec of that super beast GTR was the same year. If u r picking at the little "design rip offs" of Euro/Japanese cars, well... ok, but still looks fine. Its funny, most people's negs on the Genesis was "... and its a Hyundai" LOL... if Koreans ever learned modern marketing, they could have taken over the tech/car industry by now)

The Genesis coupe handles terribly for being a RWD sports car.

Anyway, I'm US military. My address is an APO address and is an American zip code. Normally that works well because normally I'd be ordering stuff from stateside businesses. They then ship to whatever APO zip code I have, which is essentially a military shipping hub that then picks up the package and forwards it on through the military postal system.

Back