Ack...5.1 without actual 5.1...or suggestions?

WolfpupNX

Limp Gawd
Heya all,

Here's my situation. Upgrading PC's soon. Probably going with an X-Fi sound card (nicest one without the whole front bay thing I'll never use =oP).

Anyways, in the past I've always had 2.1 sound. Don't get me wrong - I *like* 2.1 sound. But, especially after experiencing home theater, I'd love 5.1 sound. The room I'm in just isn't extremely conducive (but it could maybe work...I'll hafta see).

Are there any other options? I know there are some 5.1 headphones out there (coupled with a 2.1 system for when I don't want to use them probably). I'm not crazy about headphones, but it could be an option if they're any good.

And I know for home theaters, there are soundbar thingies that are supposed to simulate 5.1 with one long speaker, but I don't know how well they work, and I also don't think they make any for PC's (these are more the size of a 50" TV or something).

Any other suggestions? Or should I just try to bite the bullet and get true 5.1 and make the room work somehow...? Thanks!

you *could* try a quality headphone ( sennheiser comes to mind ) coupled with a soundcard that features Dolby Headphone of CCMS 3D ( creative cards ) possibly with a headphone amp to make your soundstage even wider. otherwise, yes, i'd try the true 5.1.

Hmmm... Thanks. *thinks* I dunno. I may investigate actual 5.1 solutions. But the headphone suggestion is appealing if I can't figure that out. heh

Those sound bars are 5.1 configurations using the dimensions of your room, and they do work with your pc just like a receiver would. I don't believe they like to be very close to you, though, and they sure are expensive.

Thanks for the info on the soundbars - yeah, looks like that's out. So it's between headphones or 5.1 speakers, and I'm really beginning to think I can make 5.1's work... Just might take a lil jury rigging, but really, this space isn't too bad if I can affix the speakers to the wall...

Back