Actively cooling RAM--Recommended?

Satyrist

Gawd
I ordered some Ballistix DDR2 8500 yesterday, And am planning to pair with an E6600 and a X1900XT. Unsure about the motherboard ATM, but that's for another thread.

Since I remember some time ago that Ballistix was having instances where it was dying in some builds, and was wondering if cooling (or lack thereof) might have something to do with it.

Is actively cooling the memory something to think about? Whether it's done by specialized cooling, (the sort that clips directly above the memory) or the more ghetto method. (zipties and a spare 80/92/120 fan above it)

It depends on a few things, but the main one is whether you are going to overclock or not. If not, I'd say don't worry about it as long as there is -=some=- airflow in your case. It looks like you've figured that all out beacuse you build your own systems.

If you do decide to go with active cooling, I would go with the ghetto setup instead dominator or ocz units for a few reasons:
1) It's generally cheaper
2) More airflow
3) Quieter -- Most come with 60mm fans which can be loud. One 80/92mm does the job with more efficiency and less noise which is always a good combo.

If you're overclocking, I'd go ahead and get some active cooling, if not, it should be fine. My Ballistix have been going strong for 6 months now at stock settings but I will be cooling them the ghetto way as I described.

Cheeers

Back