Activision Blizzard CEO May Purchase MySpace

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
I think this could be filed in the ‘What the heck are you thinking’ folder. Reports are circulating that Bobby Kotick, the CEO of Actvision Blizzard is becoming part of an investment group to buy the controlling interest in MySpace. MySpace? Really?

The site virtually rebooted itself in October 2010 as a social network focused on music, movies and celebrities, but has yet to make any impact on Facebook's growing popularity.

Social networking tie-in with Blizzard and Activision games?

Share your victories, accomplishments, achievements, trophies and the like on a social network?

I know Rift has done something similar with tying in Twitter, Youtube and Facebook to the game. I think this is the the way a lot of games will be in the future with social network tie-ins to both share achievements and market the game out.

Maybe he should ask Rupert Murdock about how great of an investment Myspace is.

I hope Kotick does buy MySpace. I would love to see him loose a shitload of money.

Social networking tie-in with Blizzard and Activision games?

Share your victories, accomplishments, achievements, trophies and the like on a social network?

I know Rift has done something similar with tying in Twitter, Youtube and Facebook to the game. I think this is the the way a lot of games will be in the future with social network tie-ins to both share achievements and market the game out.

Blizzard games already have integration with facebook. CODMW3 is rumored to have facebook integration as well I believe.

The investment group approached Kotick to invest in a small stake, not Activision-Blizzard. I'm assuming they are hoping he might influence them to consider myspace integration?

pocket change lol

This is his own personal investment, not Activision's. So he would take a nice hit in his personal bank account. Hopefully MW3 signals the downfall of Activision too and he looses even more money to his stake in Activision.

I'm surprised that he didn't try to get in on that Napster thing that all the kids are talking about.

This is his own personal investment, not Activision's. So he would take a nice hit in his personal bank account. Hopefully MW3 signals the downfall of Activision too and he looses even more money to his stake in Activision.
Not much of a hit though as, the article states, his stake would be small compared to the rest of the group of investors.

Depends on how much of a savings they can get it at. I imagine MySpace has enough users, even now, that you can use to get your foot in the social networking door. Course they need to invest a ton into improving the site once they own it.

All he needs to do is slap the Call of Duty name on there and millions will flock to it.

Maybe he should ask Rupert Murdock about how great of an investment Myspace is.

This is the thing. It could have been a fine investment. MySpace was cutting edge and huge at one point. But they bought it and did dick with it. The initial purchase wasn't the mistake, they just had no clue what to do with it once they had it.

Say what you will about Facebook, but business-wise they are the anti-MySpace. They are aggressively keeping it functionally up to date and even more aggressively exploring and implementing ways to make it profitable.

MySpace had the audience and a huge headstart, but they did neither of those while the competition caught up and blew them by.

pocket change lol

At this point, probably literally.

What say we take up a collection and do a counter-bid? I've got..... 63 cents freshly pulled out of my pocket. Anyone want to chip in their pocket change and up the bid?

(Why the heck did I have 63 cents.........?)

sure nobody uses MySpace... but everybody has one.

now, does anyone remember their passwords after their MySpace has been dormant so long =P

They also presumably have a lot of data on their massive userbase. That hasn't gone away, so buyers would be tapping into that.

Back