Activision Threatens to Ditch Sony’s PS3

Sony is like that hot girl in high school that was once so hot she didn't need to try to get guys but now that she's 30 and not so hot anymore she sits lonely and dejected expecting guys to flock over her because of who she is rather than change her ways.

I hate Sony but they arent that stupid, they would gladly lower the price to increase sales but they simply cannot afford to do so

Ding. Right now it is strongly indicated that even at current prices the PS3 is selling at a loss. Therefore they have to sell a certain amount of games and extra controllers to break even (sniff, so long price gouging memory card, i miss thee). Therefore if they drop the price even more, they have to sell MORE stuff. This isn't guaranteed to happen. Therefore even they increase volumes by lowering the console price, they may even lose MORE money. Sorry..that is the reality.

console prices aside, what does that have to do with the dev kits and fees that developer pay them? Those are not tied to the cost of the console in any way shape or form. Why can't they lower those prices?

didn't it take 3 years or so for developers to get comfortable with the PS2 and figure out how to get the most out of it?

PS2 did not have an XBox or Wii to compete with. PS3 does.

Sony shot themselves in the foot here by obsessing over Blu-Ray. They try to spin the situation with outrageous statements. Or, maybe, they believe their own BS. That would bode much worse for the company.

It warms my heart to see Activision publicly calling out Sony.

The PS3 is an amazing piece of hardware in my opinion. I like it more and more every day I use it. It's a shame that there's no software for it, and that it's still so expensive. My PS3 was free, which is the only reason I own one. I refuse to pay $400 or $500 for one.

My Xbox on the other hand is less impressive feature and build wise but it's got the software, the support and a larger install base.

The Xbox 360 is Microsoft's PS2 and the PS3 feels to me like the original Xbox was with the lack of good games, support etc.

The PS3 is nice but Sony is a pos company.

Today's Activision = Yesterday's EA
(See the concessions MS had to make to get EA games on the original Xbox platform).

I have both systems and doesn't matter to me...but would mean less Hero games coming out every other day for a platform and that's absolutely fine by me. Seems all Activision does nowadays is bitch and moan.

You hit the nail on the head. The PS3 has plenty of issues with it but I take this statement with a grain of salt based on who its coming from.

Activision is a horrible company, they've absolutely switched sides with EA over the last few years. EA actually tried to take some risks with new IPs with games like Dead Space, skate, and Mirror's Edge, while executing amazingly well with Harmonix on the Rock Band series. They also managed to scoop up publishing rights with Valve and id along the way. Activision has been doing nothing but milking sequel after sequel for the same period of time. If they didn't have Infinity Ward under their umbrella then they would be right screwed, IMO.

I own all the systems and I like the PS3 quite a lot. I think the XMB menu interface is much better than NXE on the 360, I think it has lots of great unique downloadable games (Fat Princess is going to be great), it is a great Blu Ray player (duh), and the exclusives are fantastic (Infamous is awesome and I can't wait for God Of War 3). That said, if I'm getting a crossplatform game then I'll get the 360 version, mainly for multiplayer because more of my friends are on the 360 than are on the PS3, and gamerpoints (silly, I know, but it works). Those are major knocks against the PS3, but that doesn't diminish its strengths either.

Sony is full of fucking morons and mountains of FAIL.

Make the PS3 $199. Done. Watch the console fly off the shelves.

yes that obviously will keep sony in business, seeing as how they will end up -$250 for each ps3 sold at that price.

No need to hate. Let them ditch the PS3. Maybe Sony realizes then to lower prices, even if they can't afford it. :p

Was Activision saying this to Microsoft when there were only 22 million 360's sold? No they were not so go fuck yourself Activision.

console prices aside, what does that have to do with the dev kits and fees that developer pay them? Those are not tied to the cost of the console in any way shape or form. Why can't they lower those prices?

I guess because at the end of the day, devs will stay pay for it unlike consumers

I think Sony is doing so bad that if they try to reduce costs significantly, stock holders will jump ship and send them into the toilet before they even have a chance to try to bounce back

and ofcourse it could be just too late anyway, so whats the point investing in an inevitable failure

Well, they gotta do something. They're seriously lagging behind the Wii and the 360. PS2 saw some nice buying spikes when they dropped it to $100, and I bet some additional game sales went with it.

The PS3 is a very powerful device, but it is a beast to program for, whereas a lot of devs like developing for the 360. There are a lot of things that can be developed in parallel for both the 360 and PC, further reducing effort and cost required to develop a single game for more than one platform. And look at the 360 price ... it's been reduced!

It really is time for PS3 to reduce their price as well. If their hardware was a little more standardized and universal, it might be both cheaper to mass produce and easier to program on. That's why the 360 = win/win in those to categories, at least.

I just hope that Sony doesn't have to sacrifice too much reliability (which I've read that failure rates are still very, very low on the PS3) in order to meet price demands.

yes that obviously will keep sony in business, seeing as how they will end up -$250 for each ps3 sold at that price.

And they will make that back and then some after the entire buying public purchases a PS3 at $199. Games, controllers, peripherals, etc.

And they will make that back and then some after the entire buying public purchases a PS3 at $199. Games, controllers, peripherals, etc.
it could take years for them to make a return on investment doing that (if they even make a return)
Sony is just not stable enough to risk enduring through that many years of big losses

Everyone's talking about the PS3, but the PSP is even worse. The PS3 is at least competitive in game sales, the PSP on the other hand isn't even in the same league as the DS as far as game sales go.

Sony is like that hot girl in high school that was once so hot she didn't need to try to get guys but now that she's 30 and not so hot anymore she sits lonely and dejected expecting guys to flock over her because of who she is rather than change her ways.

Couldnt agree more, Sony needs to stop thinking they can do what they want just because they are "Sony", or else they may find themselves Out of Business soon enough

Was Activision saying this to Microsoft when there were only 22 million 360's sold? No they were not so go fuck yourself Activision.

They didn't have to. 360 owners actually buy software for their console.

Ignore the attach rates all you want, and proclaim the latest bit of first-party software that is going to be the "Halo killer" or put the PS3 on top of the charts. We've heard that tale before.

it could take years for them to make a return on investment doing that (if they even make a return)
Sony is just not stable enough to risk enduring through that many years of big losses

I don't think it matters cause at their current rate they ain't making money anyways.

I figure the only thing that made them money since the PS3 launched was the PS2!

Fucking Sony needs to get on the ball and get the price on the console down and their game and accessory attach rate up.

MS has been whipping Sony's (and I think Nintendo's) ass in game attach rate pretty much since the 360 launched. And considering how easy it is to mod the 360 and how big the bootleg community is, that says a lot! More of the consoles selling is easy to explain, but people are still buying game in droves.

Bottom line is this: Unless Sony really turns around their video games business, they are going to end up tanking the rest of their company. Or Sony could pull a Sega and drop out of hardware all together and I don't think any of us want that.

I own one that I got in a barter deal with a net cost to me of about 300 dollars. It has provided countless hours of endless fun for both of my sons. I use it to play blue ray movies and to surf the net in my living room on my 57 inch DLP with an occasional game sprinkled in.

The device has been reliable and does not look like a tampon dispensor like the xbox does so its fine in the living room lol. Shes a keeper.

Oh and we do have a wii in the rec room too and that is enjoyable in its own right. I just prefer the full 1080P of the PS3 when watching my kids play EA sports titles and the occasion car racing sim

Sony set a precedent when it released the original PlayStation by making it easier to develop for than the Sega Saturn.
To bad they didn't learn from their own example.
So other than being all black and big like the Saturn was, it also has the distinction of being a complicated machine.
That increased development costs for software and the over all cost of the original hardware as designed.
While BluRay does make sense for the PS3 console
However, the additional cost makes the PS3 very expensive.

Attaching BluRaymay have been Sony's biggest mistake as well as its only real alternative to DVD.
It certainly a Gamble that Microsoft played and won.

Sony needs a price drop big time, that's the bottom line.
That's the toll they pay for trying to be all things to all people.

The battle that started and ended the war between BluRay and HD-DVD was between M$ Java Script and SUN Java.
So if anyone wants to blame HD-DVD's death on Sony alone should know that it was M$ and SUN's ancient battle over Java that started it all.
Microsoft lost that battle and yet they won the war.

The irony here is that Sony is stuck holding all the winning cards.
Its just that they wont allow themselves to win.
Sorry Sony the PS3 is good game console and a great BluRay Player.
It just too damn expensive.
Its your fault Sony if you think adding BluRay offsets the value because you cant force two products for one especially if the consumer is not compelled to invest in it.
Especially when they need to buy a HDTV first to enjoy any of it.

BTW the Sega Saturn has a strong following to this day.
I own two of them, one modded with a rare and working modchip and the other original.

I'm not buying a PS3 until it reaches €250 that's the cut off point for me. I saw a 360 arcade for €99 on a sale, normally can be found for €150 and the premium can be found for little over €200. SONY needs to lower the price. The cheapest I've seen a PS3 is €350, or €300 on the same sale that had the 360 arcade.

(All prices in SEK roughly converted to Euro)

I hate Sony but they arent that stupid, they would gladly lower the price to increase sales but they simply cannot afford to do so

Lets see here. Dev makes a PC game, its easy to port for 360. Dev makes a 360 game, its easy to port to PC. Dev makes a PS3 game, its hard as hell to port it too anything, and the PS3's market is full of people who only purchased it for a cheep Blu-Ray player.

Thats the simple facts. Something like 60-70% of PS3's dont even play games. Its a dedicated Blue Ray player since it was the cheapest out there. So its game market appeal is very limited. Now, its more expensive then Blue Ray players, that % is shrinking, but slower. They drop it down to $199, it will start to be a cheep Blue Ray player again and the % goes up. Sony F'ed themselves. Solution? Make Blue Ray players 99, and PS3 199.

Ding. Right now it is strongly indicated that even at current prices the PS3 is selling at a loss. Therefore they have to sell a certain amount of games and extra controllers to break even (sniff, so long price gouging memory card, i miss thee). Therefore if they drop the price even more, they have to sell MORE stuff. This isn't guaranteed to happen. Therefore even they increase volumes by lowering the console price, they may even lose MORE money. Sorry..that is the reality.

Yea they can't lower prices they need to sell more games. Figure it out Sony. Meanwhile, I'm having a blast with my PC and XBOX.

Oh and we do have a wii in the rec room too and that is enjoyable in its own right. I just prefer the full 1080P of the PS3 when watching my kids play EA sports titles and the occasion car racing sim

... I don't think you're aware that 99% of PS3 games are rendered at 720P, including EA Sports titles. Heck, some of them don't even upscale to 1080P. Get your facts straight.

The only Activision game I own, COD4, is for my PC. If I played FPS on a console, I'd have an Xbox360 already and would care slightly more about this news, citing the opportunities to insert such comments as "LOLZ!!! See, PS3 sux hrd!!!1" into a forum post.

I've been watching Blu-ray movies and playing games using my PS3 for more than a year without Activision's help. Should I give two flips about them 'potentially' deserting the PS3 as a platform for their shitty ported garbage?

Tony Hawk Skateboarding sucks. COD with a controller @ 720p (or less, for shame...) sucks.

Stay in the car, Activision. Sure, some small thanks is in order for any corporate-level attempt to bring down the (reasonable)price on the PS3, but I really wont care if they never make another PS3 game.

I'd wager Activision isn't the only game developer that feels this way,they're just the first to say it.Any console needs third party support to survive,and getting it depends on having a large customer base.Sony doesn't have that,they're a distant third in the race and they're running with an anchor tied to their ankle in the form of a too high price tag.Whether they state it publicly or not,other companies are probably thinking of deserting the PS3 themselves.

Sony needs to make bot Blu-ray and PS3 cheaper to license and purchase. They are goin Nazi with these license costs

You mean that to get a license, you have to kill:
5.9 million Jews
2–3 million Soviet POWs
1.8–2 million Ethnic Poles
220,000–1,500,000 Romani
200,000–250,000 Disabled
5,000–15,000 Homosexuals
2,500–5,000 Jehovah's Witnesses

Whatch out what you compare with, man.

(figures from wikipedia,)

PS3 succeeded by winning the HD format war... Sony probably expected this (not this bad though) and is going to recoup the lost PS3 $$$ by winning with bluray. Imaging where they would be if HD-DVD would have won. I could care less though none of my game systems have been turned on in the last year or so (combination of life and crappy games)

old school thinking, its all about streaming net flix tbh. Physical media is so 2005.

I personally won't buy a PS3 until they reinstate backwards compatibility.

This.... My ps3 has been used for Valkyria Chronicles, Disgaea 3......and my retardedly big collection of jrpgs from the ps2... if and when the 60gb goes i'm not buying another unless i get a deal on a cheap 60/20gb

honestly, Sony just needs to get over the ego trip, they do this alot (did it with the psp, then actually made it somewhat competitive). It's not a bad system by any means, but it is more difficult to program for compared to what is essentially a windows box. Also they are not looking into ways to effectively cut costs....such as putting games onto standard dvds again, like with the ps2 there needs to be a split, there are plenty of ps3 games that don't need blu ray. Also by now blu ray player prices are starting to drop pretty sharply, yet the ps3 is holding. It is starting to hit the point that the using it as a player argument isn't as effective anymore.

I think someone else mentioned...they could fix this almost instantly...but they are not. I don't know what they think they are going to get by holding this course....

You mean that to get a license, you have to kill:
5.9 million Jews
2–3 million Soviet POWs
1.8–2 million Ethnic Poles
220,000–1,500,000 Romani
200,000–250,000 Disabled
5,000–15,000 Homosexuals
2,500–5,000 Jehovah's Witnesses

Whatch out what you compare with, man.

He said Nazi, not Holocaust, holy shit dude.

nice, now lets see how many other video game makes back up activision against Sony.

You win at the interwebz!!!111one11!two?

Er...well, actually, no, you don't. :rolleyes: He didn't say, "OMFG they run holocaust prison camps where they kill Jews and depending on how many they kill that day - THAT'S the licensing prices. OMFGWTFBBQTHATSHORRIBLE!!"

Also by now blu ray player prices are starting to drop pretty sharply, yet the ps3 is holding. It is starting to hit the point that the using it as a player argument isn't as effective anymore.

They were also selling PS3s for a massive loss. I think that they're going to want to at least break even on their hardware for a little bit now that component costs have dropped.

I don't remember, how many years was the PS2 out until they finally cut down from the launch price? The PS3 has been out for two and a half years. I think it was three years before the first PS2 price cut, but I'm not 100% positive. Anyone remember?

The only Activision game I own, COD4, is for my PC. If I played FPS on a console, I'd have an Xbox360 already and would care slightly more about this news, citing the opportunities to insert such comments as "LOLZ!!! See, PS3 sux hrd!!!1" into a forum post.

I've been watching Blu-ray movies and playing games using my PS3 for more than a year without Activision's help. Should I give two flips about them 'potentially' deserting the PS3 as a platform for their shitty ported garbage?

Tony Hawk Skateboarding sucks. COD with a controller @ 720p (or less, for shame...) sucks.

Stay in the car, Activision. Sure, some small thanks is in order for any corporate-level attempt to bring down the (reasonable)price on the PS3, but I really wont care if they never make another PS3 game.

I agree, Activision has been the worst for years now. I'd give their statement more credit if it was coming from a better source (EA, Ubisoft, Take Two, anybody really...).

Everyone's talking about the PS3, but the PSP is even worse. The PS3 is at least competitive in game sales, the PSP on the other hand isn't even in the same league as the DS as far as game sales go.

I think I had plans as far back as four years ago to buy a PSP once this hit shelves:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gran_Turismo_4_Mobile

You just made me realize I hadn't picked it and a PSP up yet!

Then I read the wiki... IT'S NOT OUT YET!?

How are these things being delayed a half-decade? How do they expect to sell anything with these kinds of delays?

From what I gather, it's going to be released on the NEXT Sony portable gaming system???

Is GT5 delayed until the PS4????

They were also selling PS3s for a massive loss. I think that they're going to want to at least break even on their hardware for a little bit now that component costs have dropped.

I don't remember, how many years was the PS2 out until they finally cut down from the launch price? The PS3 has been out for two and a half years. I think it was three years before the first PS2 price cut, but I'm not 100% positive. Anyone remember?

I thought it was two years for the first price cut. I may also be wrong. i bought my ps2 used and for reference point mgs 2 and jak and daxter were 10 dollars used when i bought it.

I get what you are saying though. Yes they are selling at a loss, but I just don't see their current plan remaining a viable business strategy for much longer. Nothing against the hardware or even the company, but they are dealing with an economic downturn + already being last in the console race from a figure standpoint.

With a little foresight the PS3 could have been fixed in 2 secs. Had they just put all their games on Dual layers instead of Bluray disks right from the start, a bluray-less PS3 core version could have been released to be cost competitive with the 360 and Wii.

Ever heard the word "innovation"? I don't know about others, but personally, I get tired of being handed the same ol' shit. How long have DVD drives been around? The next time you build a PC why not put in a CD-ROM instead so you can save $2.

I thought it was two years for the first price cut. I may also be wrong. i bought my ps2 used and for reference point mgs 2 and jak and daxter were 10 dollars used when i bought it.

I get what you are saying though. Yes they are selling at a loss, but I just don't see their current plan remaining a viable business strategy for much longer. Nothing against the hardware or even the company, but they are dealing with an economic downturn + already being last in the console race from a figure standpoint.

Just like the situation was was months ago when we discussed the SAME topic, Sony can NOT drop the price on something they are still losing money on. That's just stupid. They need to increase game sales. That's profitable. Losing more money on their platform will just make them lose faster. Sony is NOT swimming in money anymore. Due to their "awesome" batteries, game systems, and electronics they are losing money quick. Heck even HDDVD still has a bigger install base than BluRay and Sony helped buy them that war. They are complete FAYL and I'm glad Activision called them out.

Activision should get the captain obvious award.

If all they are concerned about is their ROI then they can go fuck them selfs. Hard to match the ROI of guitar Hero.

Return = MILLIONS
Investment = new songs with no new development required.

Best ROI is to build a respectable company and brand which you have failed at.

Sony really need to ditch the PS3. Liquidate and start making the next gen console with everything fixed and backwards compatible with the PS3 games. Tourniquet time.

Back