actual viewing size on lcd monitors std and wide ...need dimensions

sparks

2[H]4U
is there any site that list the actual viewing size of standard and wide screen LCD monitors.
I need to compare the size of something like a 2007 and a 22in widescreen viewing area.
All they want to state is the overall dim of the case. and then 22in widescreen or something like that.. A few reviewers state viewing area. it was amazing when I saw a 19 in wide that was 10.1 x 16.2 but like I said these dimensions seem to be lost somewhere on most monitors.

thanks for help

sparks

sparks said:
is there any site that list the actual viewing size of standard and wide screen LCD monitors.
I need to compare the size of something like a 2007 and a 22in widescreen viewing area.
All they want to state is the overall dim of the case. and then 22in widescreen or something like that.. A few reviewers state viewing area. it was amazing when I saw a 19 in wide that was 10.1 x 16.2 but like I said these dimensions seem to be lost somewhere on most monitors.

thanks for help

sparks

I am not sure what you are asking? Do you want to know LxW? You can figure this out with the Pythagoreon Thereom if you really need to since you already know the actual diagnol viewing size is 20, or 22 inches.

travbomb said:
I am not sure what you are asking? Do you want to know LxW? You can figure this out with the Pythagoreon Thereom if you really need to since you already know the actual diagnol viewing size is 20, or 22 inches.

Doesn't that old azz formula only work with right triangles? You have to use sin, cos, and all that other crap I forgot since highschool.

I don't know what kind of crazy monitor you use that isn't a rectangle (two right triangles).

LCDs are typically very close to what they say--17" diagonal is 17" diagonal. With CRT's, generally you subtract an inch from the stated size to get the actual size. If it's a jumbo-sized CRT, subtract 2"

Isaacav2 said:
Doesn't that old azz formula only work with right triangles? You have to use sin, cos, and all that other crap I forgot since highschool.

LOL, Clearly you forgot more than just that crap. Unless you use some sort of elongated or round LCD you should have right triangles since the monitors are rectangles?

well the dell 19" is 12"tall by 15" wide....viewing area.
the dell 2007 19Wide is 10.1" tall by 16.2" wide

that is what I am referring to.

how big of a viewing area...VISIBLE SCREEN size is a 22 24 inch lcd's both
wide and std format

sparks

sparks said:
well the dell 19" is 12"tall by 15" wide....viewing area.
the dell 2007 19Wide is 10.1" tall by 16.2" wide

that is what I am referring to.

how big of a viewing area...VISIBLE SCREEN size is a 22 24 inch lcd's both
wide and std format

sparks

There is no such thing as standard format 22 and 24 inch LCD's for startes.

Also in your first statement you refer to the 2007 as 19wide which it is not.

Like i said before just use the Pythagoreon Thereom. Its not hard

(16x)^2 + (10x)^2 = 22^2
18.65x11.65 = 217.27 = viewable area

(16x)^2 + (10x)^2 = 24^2
20.4x12.7 = 259.08 = viewable area

Some rounding was used.

Dont they teach math anymore

awesome site Viper GTS.....thanks for the link
exactly what I was looking for

sparks

oh yea you guys with the math....unless you know the lenght of the sides
How do you calculate the area..
you can't by just saying 19in wide screen that is from one corner to the opposite corner.
so you have one side and a 90deg angle on opposite of this measurement.
do you guess at one of the other dimensions to come up with calculating the 3rd side?

with 19in you can figure out the width and height?
just how do you do that

sparks

My calculation didn't even take into account the diagonal size of the screen--just the dot pitch and the resolution.

sparks said:

you can't by just saying 19in wide screen that is from one corner to the opposite corner.
do you guess at one of the other dimensions to come up with calculating the 3rd side?

just how do you do that

sparks

It's simple trig. Knowing the aspect ratio tells you all three angles (one of which is always 90), & with all three angles + any side the rest is easy.

Or you could just use my site, which does all the math for you.

Viper GTS

Like Viper GTS said, as long as you know the monitor size and the aspect ratio (16:10, 16:9, 4:3, etc.) you can find the width and height of the panel at which you'll be looking. Law of Sines and Law of Cosines will take care of that.

sparks said:

just how do you do that

sparks

dude seriously

I typed out all of the calculations for you above. In 6th grade math they teach you the Pythagoreon Thereom (which btw you dont actually need to use sin, cos or any of the angles). With this all you need to know is the hypotenuse and the ratio of the sides to each other and you can calculate all the 3 sides.

a^2 + b^2 = c^2

I can garuntee this is the exact same formula that site uses too.

Here it is again

(16x)^2 + (10x)^2 = 22^2
18.65x11.65 = 217.27 = viewable area

(16x)^2 + (10x)^2 = 24^2
20.4x12.7 = 259.08 = viewable area

Props Viper on the site though.

travbomb said:
dude seriously
I can garuntee this is the exact same formula that site uses too.

Actually you'd be wrong on that. ;)

To keep the server load as light as possible the trig values for the various aspect ratios (more specifically their angles) are stored to 3 digits, & then it's simple multiplication for everything.

Viper GTS

Viper GTS said:
Actually you'd be wrong on that. ;)

To keep the server load as light as possible the trig values for the various aspect ratios (more specifically their angles) are stored to 3 digits, & then it's simple multiplication for everything.

Viper GTS

Dude you dont even need to load the angles though. Since they are all right triangles and you have the ratios the angles are irrelevant.

All this Trig talk is giving me a headache. ;)

My 22" Westy wide screen is roughly 11 3/4" high X 18 3/4" wide viewable. My old LG 19" (4:3) was 12"X15" roughly.

Hope that helps.

(ax)^2 + (bx)^2 = c^2

Where a and b equal the ratio of the TV, such that a 16:9 = a:b, and c equals the diagonal of the TV. Solve for x then mutliply by a and b to get the width and height. So for a 24" ws monitor:

(16x)^2 + (10x)^2 = 24^2

256x^2 + 100x^2 = 576

356x^2 = 576

Do some division and then square root that, and you get 1 and a large decimal. Multiply that by the the ratio width and height and you get the width and height of the viewable screen.

Back