Ad hoc sharing problem

saber07

Limp Gawd
I'm having trouble sharing files between my computers that are connected ad hoc wirelessly. Computer 2 connects to Computer 1 to use the internet, but Computer 2 can not look at the files or folders on Computer 1. However, Computer 1 can look at all the files and folders on Computer 2.

The error I get says "//Computer1 is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. Access is denied.

I have gone through both computers and allowed everyone access, I am on the administrator account on both computers, but still can't. I have also turned off both firewalls

Any help?

Post a screenshot of your sharing setup window on computer1. That'll help a little. Also a screenshot of your Network properties on computer1

Make sure you have the folders shared on the computer that you can't connect to. If you have nothing shared, then you won't be able to access anything. Also, make sure you have file and printer sharing enabled. Another thing to check is the firewall, if any, that you are running on that system. If you have a firewall on the system (which you should) it may blocking the connection from the other computer.

ne1wantaride said:
Post a screenshot of your sharing setup window on computer1. That'll help a little. Also a screenshot of your Network properties on computer1

Also, your OS('s) would be a nice addition to your post. If they are XP pro also post if you have simple file sharing turned on and if your drives/partitions are formatted NTFS.

Alright, I think I found what the problem is with you guys help. Computer1 is formatted FAT32 and Computer2 is formatted NTFS. Comp1 can access comp2 but not the other way around. So if I formatted Comp1 to NTFS, would that allow me access to both comps? Also, I'm using Windows XP PRO on both comps. Simple file sharing is OFF.

If you guys still need the pics let me know, and thanks for the help so far.

edit. Also, can I convert from FAT32 to NTFS without formatting and losing all my data? I dont have any partitions set up either. I probably should, but I dont know of a good partition program, any ideas there?

untitled1copy1gf.jpg

There's my sharing properties for my C:/ drive. I formatted it to NTFS, but still get the same error message.

Back