Adaptec 51645 Failure / New LSI Controllers

jen4950

[H]F Junkie
I need some second and third opinions from the [H]. (Not of my lack of a good backup either- I've heard enough of that crap on the homefront..)

I sent this question to LSI Sales- I'll post their response when I get it back from them.

A little background- I had a 9TB array on an Adaptec 51645 (6 x 2.0TB Western Digital RE4's in RAID5), and the card failed when I was expanding it to 7 drives.

So after spending the $$$$ for recovering the data on the array, I am going to try something different and with significantly higher performance and hopefully higher reliability than before. The kicker is I have "almost" everything on Backblaze (over 3TB- took something like 5 months to upload) except for after about November 5th or so. That was about when they announced that they would allow ISO's and a bunch of other files types.

So I changed my settings and added 450GB to the queue. And then my wife and I kept adding stuff (added to the end of the queue BTW) including her Master's and PhD research, 9 month old baby pictures, first crawling movies, documentation for my startup company, some critical corporate data- you get the idea; and I forgot about that change; "until later". The Adaptec card allows expansion of an array really easily, and woops- I didn't check my Backblaze status before I clicked fire. Sure enough, the card overheated and whigged out- destroying the array in the middle of a reconfiguration, and I do not have an optical backup for about 40 percent of our data, or a cloud backup of about 15 percent. Blueray burns will be starting back up soon!

Luckily, there is a good service for, get this- recovering a failed 7 drive RAID 5 9TB array that crashed in an erratic manner during an array reconfiguration from 6 to 7 drives- with a burned up RAID controller. It's expensive, but possible. Priceless compared to holiday (un)harmony.

The process is actually quite interesting; they just imaged each physical drive and are in the process of piecing together the pieces in a virtual environment. That is- piecing together the parity garbage of an incomplete array rebuild. http://24hourdata.com There is no charge if they are not successful.

I built the first array when I bought the T7500 from Dell about a year and a half ago- and am obviously shopping for a new controller card for my precious data, and a second card for "MAX IOPS" OS/Scratch. I always was thinking of drive failure, not controller failure as a critical problem. I never saw the controller card as as much of a problem- oops in hindsight.

I spent quite a bit of time talking with this data recovery engineer- and a lot of this is purely anecdotal evidence from what he see coming into his shop. The punch line was the Adaptec cards of late have a very bad reputation of failing (good to know now!) versus their models from 5-8 years ago; Promise and some other more affordable RAID controllers are apparently very unreliable. Some of the others are okay- and then you get into IBM and such which are truly enterprise class. The really only option right now is an LSI controller that uses an LSI developed and manufactured chipset; there is still quite a bit of abiguity of how much the 3Ware and LSI teams have merged. My experience with Dell PERC RAID cards confirmed his opinions- I have never had a single problem with any of them out of dozens; and they are almost wholly based on the LSI chipsets and designs from what I understand. He was very adamant about the LSI based cards being exceptionally reliable and none of the problems he sees typically have to do with those cards, rather than the drives or user error.

Some interesting documents from LSI on these new controllers I am looking at:

http://www.lsi.com/downloads/Public/RAID Controllers/RAID Controllers Common Files/9265_9285_FAQ.pdf

http://.com/featured/lsi-9265-8i-me...-6805-raid-card-the-great-6gbs-raid-showdown/

http://www.lsi.com/downloads/Public...MR-SAS_9265-9285_Performance_Brief_022511.pdf

---

LSI:

I have a Dell T7500 (Xeon X5680) workstation that we are trying to max out on IOPS.

I have 12 x OCZ Vertex 3 MAX IOPS 120GB drives (SATA III / 6Gbps w/ TRIM) and 2 Thermaltake MAX-1562 racks with SAS/SATA backplanes (6 x discreet connectors each in a 5.25" drive bay configuration).

I would like to use your MegaRAID 9265-8i for this RAID array.

1) Is the 9265-8i the same chipset and cache as the 9285-8e? There is some confusion in your comparison documentation.

2) Does this card use an LSI developed chipset, or is it 3Ware (or other) derived? We have had some problems with other manufacturers and want to be sure to get genuine LSI hardware. And we are not sure at what level 3Ware and LSI's technology had interleaved so far.

3) The backplane we are using has 6 discreet ports (we also have 2 of them). The controller has 2 x 4-port multilane ports. The controller supports up to 128 devices (SSD's in this case). What is the recommended method and products for getting these 8 cables out of the controller to 12 drives with discreet connectors in 2 internal 5.25" enclosures?

4) I also have a 9280-16i4e in this machine. What software upgrades do you recommend for the 12xSSD on 9265 Array; and the 7x Western Digital RE4 2.0TB drives in RAID 5 on 9280 Array?

5) We will have plenty of storage with this 9265 / SSD array. What RAID configuration (with redundancy- i.e. no RAID0) would you recommend with this hardware for max IOPS? Is there any advantage other than double parity for a RAID 6 array?

Thanks!

Jonathan

Since you're talking about TBs of data, backuping to the cloud and BR, while useful, is not really practical. You should also have a hard drive based backup.

Since you're talking about TBs of data, backuping to the cloud and BR, while useful, is not really practical. You should also have a hard drive based backup.

Agreed. It's not too difficult nor expensive to buy some portable 2.5" 1TB external drives for backup. Have a group of drives on-site and off-site and rotate periodically once backed up.

Got it guys. ;)

A good backup also requires user compliance which I'm not good at- that's why i like Backblaze. It's almost all there...

3) The backplane we are using has 6 discreet ports (we also have 2 of them). The controller has 2 x 4-port multilane ports. The controller supports up to 128 devices (SSD's in this case). What is the recommended method and products for getting these 8 cables out of the controller to 12 drives with discreet connectors in 2 internal 5.25" enclosures?

5) We will have plenty of storage with this 9265 / SSD array. What RAID configuration (with redundancy- i.e. no RAID0) would you recommend with this hardware for max IOPS? Is there any advantage other than double parity for a RAID 6 array?

3) You would need a SAS expander to turn your multilane ports to more ports.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816117207

This intel expander is much better than the HP ones everyone is used to using (because it doesnt require a PCI-E slot to function)

5) I would RAID 10 the SSDs, and RAID 6 the HDDs.

Here is LSI's response. I am quite impressed with their response time- got it first thing this morning.

1) Is the 9265-8i the same chipset and cache as the 9285-8e? There is some confusion in your comparison documentation.

LSI: YES. Both products use the same LSI ROC and architecture.

2) Does this card use an LSI developed chipset, or is it 3Ware (or other) derived? We have had some problems with other manufacturers and want to be sure to get genuine LSI hardware. And we are not sure at what level 3Ware and LSI's ! technology had interleaved so far.

LSI: YES, the 92xx Series products are fully developed, manufactured and supported by LSI. In fact, the 3Ware 97xx Series is as well. The product lines will fully merge in 2012 with SAS 12 Gb/s.

LSI: LSI supports multi-lane cables to expanders and fanout type SAS cables to connect up to 8 drives directly. To connect 12 drives using a 9265-8i, we recommend using a expander based backplane. To connect to two 6 drive cages, you will need an expander card between the controller and the drive cages. Chenbro offers a line of products that accomplish this: http://www.chenbro.com/corporatesite/products_cat.php?pos=37 Another option is to use the LSI 9260-16i controller with the FastPath option. This will eliminate the need for additional 3rd party HW for your direct connect needs and also allow for the FastPath feature in FW to be enabled which will optimize your IO path for SSD’s.

4) I also have a 9280-16i4e in this machine. What software upgrades do you recommend for the 12xSSD on 9265 Array; and the 7x Western Digital RE4 2.0TB drives in RAID 5 on 9280 Array?

The easiest upgrade for this controller outside of latest FW is our FastPath SW. This is designed specifically for SSD’s and optimizes the IO path for greatly improved performance. Regarding the RE4 drives, FastPath will not do anything here. The best way to upgrade that array is to use our CacheCade 2.0 Pro Software and dedicate one or more of the SSD’s in the system for controller caching. This will allow you to optimize your read and write performance to those rotating drives. Details on the SW can be found here:

FastPath: http://www.lsi.com/channel/products/storagesw/Pages/MegaRAIDFastPathSoftware.aspx
CacheCade: http://www.lsi.com/channel/marketing/Pages/LSI-MegaRAID-CacheCade-Pro-2.0-software.aspx

LSI: RAID 5 will be your best option as it balances performance and redundancy. IF you are concerned with supporting more than one drive failure in the box, then go RAID 6, but there will be a slight performance hit as a result.

We have lots of additional information available at www.lsi.com/channel. In fact, I would encourage you to register as a reseller partner there as well. It’s free and helps to ensure you have the latest information from LSI and also get access to Partner Only offers and opportunities.

Got another delivery today- new plan is moving along.

Sneak peek:

SSD_Preview_20111129.jpg

Back