Adaptec RAID 31205 controller not detecting drives

Sc0ttFern

Gawd
I just installed an Adaptec 31205 Raid controller into my file server, and I bought generic mini-sas to sata cables for my hard drives.

http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/support/raid/sas_raid/SAS-31205/

I have 5 x SAMSUNG HD154UI 1.5TB drives connect to the raid controller, but in Raid bios it does not detect any of the drives. I even tried hooking up 2 different Hitachi sata hard drives and nothing.

Now, the only constant I can think of is that all 7 of the drives have data/volume/old raid array on them. Would this be reason the drives would not detect?

I can only think of three reasons why the drives are not coming up?

1) generic mini-sas to sata cables not working/incompatible

2) The fact there is data/volume/raid config on all 7 drives and none are unallocated

3) The drives are just not supported by the raid controller

Any help at all would be appreciated.

Thanks guys!

So I think my only option is use an official Adaptec Mini-SAS to SATA cable?

Any input guys?

Probably the cable, I've read reports that generic cables are hit-or-miss in general. I use 3ware and Adaptec cables with my Adaptec 31605 cards with no issues.

Probably the cable, I've read reports that generic cables are hit-or-miss in general. I use 3ware and Adaptec cables with my Adaptec 31605 cards with no issues.

Well this is good to know. I just ordered one Adaptec mini-sas to sata cable on eBay. We will see when it gets here.

I did buy the cheapest no name brand mini-sas cable I could find so I hope this is the problem.

I figured out the issue. My OFFICIAL Adaptec Mini-SAS to SATA cable arrived this afternoon and now the drives are detected!!! Last time I ever buy generic mini-sas cables!

Back