Add 2 more hard drives for RAID 0+1?

inscape01

Limp Gawd
Currently I am building a new system with 2 Seagate 7200.10 320gb. Fry's has the rebadged Maxtor's for $60. I am timkering with the idea of buying 2 more. I am not completely sure, but beleive 0+1 will improve performance and will provide backup. So I will have 640gb avaible with the other 2 drives as backup. Is that a good idea? Or should I just save my $120.

if anything jump to raid 5, not raid 0+1. You are still redundant (youd have to be damn lucky to lose the *right* 2 drives to stay safe) but would get an extra 320GB out of it.

Thanks for the quick replies! RAID 5 sounds good to me. I'll stop by Fry's after work and pick up the Maxtor's.

Unless he buy a 300+$ raid 5 controller with hardware XOR, the write speeds will be abysmal at best.

RAID 1+0 has better speed than RAID 5. With 4 drives, it depends on whether or not you need the extra space. If not, 1+0 is better.

write speed, specially small files sux on raid5 unless you got crazy expensive setup

I am not completely sure, but beleive 0+1 will improve performance and will provide backup.

Raid of any sort is not backup. Use the drives as a backup destination instead, using something like Acronis or DriveimageXML or Windows Backup.

Raid of any sort is not backup.

lol ok, but it is redundant storage....

raid5 is all controlled by software in sata controllers on your run of the mill desktop motherboards, (so is raid0 and 1 actually, they just aren't as hard on the cpu), so your performance won't be that great, and if you're using the desktop for other things, like playing games, i wouldn't recommend it...

if you have a dedicated file server that isn't doing much but serving up files, its not quite as bad... and probably enough to flood your NIC anyway (or if you're using gigabit, your bus)

Back