add another 4gb ram?

havuk88

Limp Gawd
Trying to hold off on upgrading my cpu/mb/video, most games can bu run maxed out but star wars the old republic is stuttering some @ 1028x1080 with shadows turned off and high detail, I also nootice some stuttering at lower resolutions.

Would adding an additional 4gb of ram help with this issue?

It won't help unless much of your existing 4GB is being used by the system and background processes. The game itself can't address more than 4GB of RAM being 32bit, but in reality they won't ever approach that anyway, most modern games I have hover in the 2GB of memory usage range. Most likely the stuttering is a code issue in the game, a quick Google search reveals it to be a very common problem even on some pretty nice hardware, so this is poor coding on the creators part that RAM won't help.

No, it won't help. 4GB is sufficient for gaming and another 4gb won't net any extra performance. If you had a DDR3 system you might as well for the $20 it would cost you but seeing as your system isn't don't throw more money onto it.

Your CPU is still fast for encoding and processor intensive tasks, but a Core i5 2500k would be a night and day difference in gaming.

No, it won't help. 4GB is sufficient for gaming and another 4gb won't net any extra performance. If you had a DDR3 system you might as well for the $20 it would cost you but seeing as your system isn't don't throw more money onto it.

Your CPU is still fast for encoding and processor intensive tasks, but a Core i5 2500k would be a night and day difference in gaming.

thanks, what about my video card?

Well, your video card is still pretty fast although you won't be able to take advantage of DX11. The GTX 480/GTX 570 is only 2% faster at 1080p. You would need to get a GTX 580 to see any noticable performance gain over your GTX 295.

You can go for the GTX 580 at $340(new $380): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133400

But two of these GTX 480's in SLI for $420 with a 2500k would almost triple your current performance: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130759

Back