Adding missing SATA connectors?

larrymoencurly

[H]ard|Gawd
I have some motherboards designed to handle 4 SATA ports, but they were built with only 2 connectors installed. I'd like to add the missing connectors, but I'd also have to add the missing termination resistors and maybe some capacitors. What values are those parts? Here's one of the motherboards, an ECS GeForce 6100SM-M v. 1.0:

3181763455_135840bd34_o.jpg

It would be much easier to buy a 15 dollar pci/pci-e sata controller.

It would be much easier to buy a 15 dollar pci/pci-e sata controller.

That's what I was thinking also. In fact, Newegg has thrown in a couple of these as freebie combos when I've bought stuff. So they can't be that expensive at all.

Soldering the extra connectors may or may not work. What happens is the vendor that makes the board(who is not always the one that sells it) designs the pbc to work in multiple configs. In the case of this board they have offered or are offering another motherboard using the same design that has the extra features. Sometimes the extra ports are controlled by a separate chip and other times different versions of the chipset. If the ports are wired it might work but then again the bios very well may have the ports disabled as they are not connected meaning you would have to modify that was well with a hex editor.

Best bet would be to just buy a pci/pcie card and be done with it.

Back