Adding older 98 HDD to new XP box

justin_credible

Weaksauce
Newbie questions:

I just installed an older IDE HD that has 98se in a NEW system that has XPpro setting it as
slave and my main sata as master on a Abit IC-7 with Phoenix Award bios. I tried booting
normally into XP but the older ide HD was booting instead and naturally it couldn't finish because
it was configured for another system. I went back into bios a reset the sata to Share or one of those settings and the system will now boot into XP but it doesn't see the other HD.

As you can tell, I'm a newbie adjusting the bios and it's my first sata HD so my questions are:

Can I access the older HD via XP so I can transfer important data?

Is there a way of setting up the older HD to boot into the new system?

Mainly..I need to get data off that HD then I'll format it and use it as a removable backup.​
.​

go into the "standard CMOS settings" part of your BIOS and disable the autodetection of that older drive. then boot into XP and the drive should still be there in "My Computer".

this has worked for me a few times, but i haven't tried it on very many different machines.

Ok,I diabled the AUTO detection but system still cannot find the older IDE HD

when it boots properly into XP from the new SATA HDD,I've tweaked the bio's so many times but I'm apparently missing some details. :(

Back