Admin v Moderator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can some mod or admin give me a breif overview of thier duties here? I am just wondering what the difference is. Purely out of curiosity.

And what are your powers. Sometimes I see Admins post in threads that are bound to be locked but then a Moderator comes in and actually does the locking.

I will not speak on the Admins' duties, as I am not one.

Moderators are selected because they uphold the Rules in an exemplary manner. Being an 'expert' in a particular area helps, but the Rules are more important. They are expected to continue to do so after they given the title. To this end, they are allowed to edit and delete posts and close threads to make them comply with the Rules. They are also given control over their assigned sub forums. They manage what threads are sticky, etc. Really not much "power," it's more of an honorary title.

Anything beyond managing threads and posts in a particular forum falls into Administrator territory.

I see the moderator role a little differently....they are chosen by the Admins because of their talents, contribution to the board and adherence to the forum rules. Moderators have pretty much full control of their individual forums as far as to what is posted and allowed under the forum general rules. The Admins usually do not interfere with the daily operation of an individual forum unless requested by the moderator or a situation arises that immediate action be taken.

Supermods are chosen from the moderator pool and are not assigned a particuliar forum (but may have one as a moderator). They have moderator power in all forums, but do not interfere with the daily operation of any particuliar forum or override the decisions of the forum moderators. They have emergency banning power in the absence of an Administrator and can moderate just about any forum when needed.

Administration personnel come from the old moderators ranks, most of which have been on the board or been a forum leader in some form for around five years or so. The duties are to oversee the general operation of the forums, enforce the forum rules, reprimand offenders, banning of rule breakers. moderate member applications, interpret forum rules and meanings and mediate disputes between members and moderators when they arise. They read many posts and threads forum wide for problems, protect the forum from DOS attacks and generally do whatever it takes to keep the forum running smoothly.

MajorDomo said:
Administration personnel come from the old moderators ranks, most of which have been on the board or been a forum leader in some form for around five years or so. The duties are to oversee the general operation of the forums, enforce the forum rules, reprimand offenders, banning of rule breakers. moderate member applications, interpret forum rules and meanings and mediate disputes between members and moderators when they arise. They read many posts and threads forum wide for problems, protect the forum from DOS attacks and generally do whatever it takes to keep the forum running smoothly.

Don't forget that Administrators also do not hesitate to rule with an iron fist and bring down the steel hand of doom at any given moment. At least that's how I am on the boards I admin anyway. :D

I will add this before I close this thread. The Admins here along with the Moderators, strive to actually stay out of the member's business as much as possible. Everyone is here to have a good time and to learn. The forum leaders are committed to see to that end....the abuse of power that occurs on other boards is not present here and has never been tolerated and never will be. We take out the trash as the need arises with minimum forum disturbance and drama as possible. I think that fact is pretty much evident by the way the forum flows :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back