Adobe and NVIDIA Deliver Rich Web Experiences on Netbooks

HardOCP News

[H] News
At Adobe MAX, Adobe’s worldwide developer conference, Adobe Systems Incorporated and NVIDIA Corporation today announced that both companies are bringing uncompromised browsing of rich Web content to netbooks, smartphones and smartbooks built with NVIDIA® GPUs. The companies have been working closely together as part of the Open Screen Project to optimize and dramatically improve performance of Flash Player 10.1 by taking advantage of GPU video and graphics acceleration on a wide range of mobile Internet devices. NVIDIA customers embracing Flash Player 10.1 for their new devices include HP, Lenovo, Samsung, Acer, Asus and more. Users are expected to be able to download a beta of Flash Player 10.1 before the end of the year.

Big Fookin Deal. When in the hell is ADOBE going to get off their ass and make a 64-bit version of the flash player?

Big Fookin Deal. When in the hell is ADOBE going to get off their ass and make a 64-bit version of the flash player?

Right around the same time they make a "rich web experience on netbooks"... which is never.

If Adobe can't get full screen movies (YouTube HD and 720p Hulu) to play on netbooks without stuttering or playing slideshow speed, then I don't want to hear it.

If only the netbook companies would release the nettops they've been advertising for the past six months I'd be good to go.

Flash videos will be hardware accelerated using nvidia gpus.

And Flash will use DXVA, so it will be accelerated on any hardware that supports DXVA, which ATi does. So nVidia is nothing to do with this.

A shame that this was not reported by this site.

And Flash will use DXVA, so it will be accelerated on any hardware that supports DXVA, which ATi does. So nVidia is nothing to do with this.

A shame that this was not reported by this site.

nVidia is the only graphics company with a netbook graphics soultion (ION, possibly tegra)

But what I want to know is, why does it matter that much to you? :rolleyes:

If this doesn't work on the GMA500 chipset then it is worthless to anyone with a real netbook made up till whenever someone shoves an Ion into a sub 10" computer, 11"+ is a notebook not netbook.

nVidia is the only graphics company with a netbook graphics soultion (ION, possibly tegra)

But what I want to know is, why does it matter that much to you? :rolleyes:

Because this is not another PhysX, this is actualy exciting to anyone that uses Flash, not just people with a particular nVidia card.

And please take the trolling/baiting elsewhere.

Because this is not another PhysX, this is actualy exciting to anyone that uses Flash, not just people with a particular nVidia card.

Think you are the one trolling and baiting here.

Anyways they mention nvidia cause they are a partner in the project. Nvidia has previously mentioned they are going to try to push ION to other mobile platforms (IE tablets, mobile phones, etc) so this does not only help for netbooks.

Think you are the one trolling and baiting here.

Anyways they mention nvidia cause they are a partner in the project. Nvidia has previously mentioned they are going to try to push ION to other mobile platforms (IE tablets, mobile phones, etc) so this does not only help for netbooks.

Perhaps, but he's correct. NVidia may be helping Adobe, but the result will not be an nVidia exclusive product. It will work on all graphics cards with 3D acceleration capability.

The "trollbaiter" was trying to rile him up implying he's an ATI fanboy. I see no fanboyism here. Just an observation of what is.

Don't even *think* about using my sig against me. This is my first ATI card since - well, ever. :-P

The nettops with Ion GPUs are already available from Newegg and NCIX.com. Both are made by Acer--the Aspire Revo models. NCIX actually has both the single core and dual core models with Atom CPU and ION graphics.

This will also be great for people running low power processors in their desktops and HTPCs like the AMD 4850e, 5050e and Nvidia Ion/Atom motherboards from Zotac and Asus. Those Ion board were passable as HTPCs before this due to their hardware acceleration from movies but they lacked the ability to play Hulu and other HD Flash at full screen on a 1080p display, thus keeping many (like me) away. This changes things drastically...

In a few days we'll see reports that Nvidia paid Adobe to disable Flash when non-Nvidia cards are detected. Then Nvidia fanboys will argue that AMD should have paid to keep it from being blocked.

The article was about netbooks. What ATI graphics cards are used in netbooks right now? Netbooks stand to gain the most from this technology since they have trouble with HD flash content because of the limited processing capabilities of the atom.

I'm not stupid enough to think graphics acceleration will only help people with nVidia hardware. But it is a FACT that this will be PARTICULARLY beneficial to those using notebooks on the ION platform (which is why nVidia made the push for this), and that is what this article is about. MY processor doesn't have any problems handling HD flash videos, so the end product won't be any different for me once my Flash is updated.

The article was about netbooks. What ATI graphics cards are used in netbooks right now? Netbooks stand to gain the most from this technology since they have trouble with HD flash content because of the limited processing capabilities of the atom.

I'm not stupid enough to think graphics acceleration will only help people with nVidia hardware. But it is a FACT that this will be PARTICULARLY beneficial to those using notebooks on the ION platform (which is why nVidia made the push for this), and that is what this article is about. MY processor doesn't have any problems handling HD flash videos, so the end product won't be any different for me once my Flash is updated.

nVidia isn't the only player in the netbook arena. Intel has a huge share in it.

Again, this isn't about ATI vs nVidia. This is about what the project is really all about despite who's working on it.

Intel, ATI and nVidia will all take advantage of it.

If Adobe can't get full screen movies (YouTube HD and 720p Hulu) to play on netbooks without stuttering or playing slideshow speed, then I don't want to hear it.
I can't even get that on my i7/8800 Ultra rig. That's a true testament to how abysmal Flash is. Adobe and NVIDIA can't even deliver a "rich web experience" on a moderately high-end desktop, let alone a netbook/nettop.

The "trollbaiter" was trying to rile him up implying he's an ATI fanboy. I see no fanboyism here. Just an observation of what is.
The term "fanboy" is used so frivolously here that it no longer has any meaning whatsoever. The same goes for "troll" for that matter. Getting riled up about it would seem counter-intuitive :)

I agree with you, by the way.

nVidia isn't the only player in the netbook arena. Intel has a huge share in it.

Like jeremyshaw said, the gma 950 that is commonly used in netbooks is terrible and hardly considered a decent graphics solution. I'm not even sure if hardware acceleration in flash with it would even be an improvement. Then again, I wouldn't know sense I haven't used the new flash.

All I'm saying is that from an article point of view, it makes perfect sense that nVidia is linked to this tech. They are pushing the ION and Tegra platforms really hard and they are the ones who stand to benefit from it the most. I would not be surprised if they gave Adobe some $$ incentive to work GPU acceleration in to flash. I have been somewhat following the ION platform in netbooks because I am interested in it, and one of the common points brought up with it is "yeah, all that graphics processing power is great but you're still stuck with the Atom to do all the flash processing".

I'm not saying that nVidia is better than ATI :rolleyes: check my sig, I have a 4870. And I NEVER said that this wouldn't help out everyone with a GPU... I actually said the opposite in my last post.

Back