Advantage of dual cores processors?

btf

Limp Gawd
I've been seeing a lot of news bits here and there about intel/amd's upcoming processors will be dual core.

What advantage will these cpu's give us? Currently dual processor setups barely give any advantage unless an application was specifically designed to use it.

I'm just curious if anyone has thoughts on this?

for right now it's mostly an advantage on server/workstation type systems, but the advantage in having cheaper dual processor systems is that everyone will start writing multi-threaded programs and using the available processor power. then games _will_ get benefits from dual processors, and everyone will benefit. w00t.

and we will not see a64 vs p4 mutlitasking wars anymore unless intel keeps HT in its dual core processors

blue_heart71 said:
and we will not see a64 vs p4 mutlitasking wars anymore unless intel keeps HT in its dual core processors

true...but it would be interesting to see 2 physical cpu's and 4 logical cpu's....

I don't understand why Intel would not keep HT in it's dual core processors. I mean, it's a bit over kill, but hey, if they can do it, why not? HT has become a staple for Intel, why lose it?

Intel needs HT, because 1 process is not enough to keep a long P4 pipeline filled. With HT, 2 processes are using 1 pipeline and keeping it more full. Intel needs HT even more with Dual Core, because it will need 4 processes to keep 2 pipelines full.

HyperThreading won't likely be a big thing when multicore solutions come into the ballgame. Intel's going to find out quickly that meeting thermal and electrical targets will be tough with a NetBurst (Pentium 4) design under the current 90 nanometer process. As for a 65 nanometer NetBurst design, I wouldn't count on it. This will likely push a dual-core P6 (Pentium M) design to the forefront to fill the void, which by design doesn't really benefit from an SMT implementation like HyperThreading. Its pipelines, like that of the entire Athlon series, are generally well fed, and SMT really doesn't make a whole lot of difference.

Back