advice needed on Dell vertical line problem

Jim S.

n00b
I bought an Inspiron 9300 in October 2005. In September of this year it developed a stuck column of pixels near the left edge of the screen. Searching the web led to the discovery that this was a widespread problem and tended to get worse. According to Dell's own website, they would replace the affected screens free of charge within a 3-year period. But when I called Dell about it, they claimed that the part number of my screen wasn't one of the affected models. Needless to say, I was mad. The problem matches the one they acknowledge perfectly. And I've never had any other LCD just fail like that after years of operation, including ones that have been in use a lot more hours during those years. But then, to make matter worse, I read on the net that some people had disassembled their laptops that had a non-recall-covered screen part number on the invoice and found that the part number on the screen wasn't the same as on the invoice, and was one of the covered part numbers. Sure enough, mine was! So I emailed Dell, or rather the agent who I had talked to on the phone, who has a Dell email address but sounds like one of the typical clueless Indian CSRs, with a picture of the sticker on the screen. A week later, I get a call from the same guy, who just reiterates that they had determined that my screen wasn't one of the affected models and they couldn't replace it unless I pay for it. He said nothing about the picture, and sounded like he was reading a script. So now what do I do? It's now past the 3-year period, not that it was going to do me any good anyway with their inability to listen to reason, and the screen now has 7 permanent vertical lines some of which are starting to get far enough away from the edge to be bothersome. I've seen replacement screens selling for about $200, but why should I have to pay when there's an obvious problem that they won't admit to? And how do I know I wouldn't get another defective one? Does anyone have an address or phone number for someone at Dell who will listen to me without charging me for tech support, and won't just read from a script?

I would contact Dell again, explain the issue, when they tell you it's not covered - DEMAND A SUPERVISOR - you have email data proof of when the claim was origionally filed and you have digital proof that the screen is covered under the replacement plan. They have to - BY LAW - replace your screen as it is considered a recall. Yes you're outside of your 3 year coverage - however that is their fault.

Back