Advice on Desktop LCD (Non-gaming)

nweibley

Gawd
Basically, what I want is an LCD for use on desktop apps... email, web browsing, graphics, the like... only 2D essentially.

The LCD needs to be my workhorse for non gaming static images: I am hooking my computer up to my sony XBR plasma for the fun stuff :)

I don't think a 12ms LCD is for me, but I would definitely like a 17" screen or bigger, and an accurate, rich, sharp display. I was looking at the 710T, but it seems like too much of a gamer's monitor for me... I don't need a ghostproof solution for fast paced action.

If you have some personal preferences for a monitor of this caliber, let me hear 'em.

check dell. i have a dell 17 inch flat screen LCD that isn't top of the line, but it's nice, maybe i could sell it to you for cheap-ish. i dunno, i have to decide if i want it over my crt...

nweibley said:
Basically, what I want is an LCD for use on desktop apps... email, web browsing, graphics, the like... only 2D essentially.
you know that 3d/2d doesnt matter, right? the monitor doesnt render...

uh... price range?

a nicer monitor is a nicer monitor, it isnt like theres gaming monitors and non gaming monitors...

I love NEC multisyncs. Have analog output and digital outputs. Don't forget to put the monitor at the least framerate on the list in the options otherwise it will look weird.

ComputerBox34 said:
I love NEC multisyncs. Have analog output and digital outputs. Don't forget to put the monitor at the least framerate on the list in the options otherwise it will look weird.
monitor outputs :rolleyes:

anyway, i love my Samsung 173s, got it off newegg for around $400, i even game on it although its a 25ms, i barely notice the blur

BBnet3000 said:
you know that 3d/2d doesnt matter, right? the monitor doesnt render...

uh... price range?

a nicer monitor is a nicer monitor, it isnt like theres gaming monitors and non gaming monitors...
No. I'm just that stupid :rolleyes: LoL I am not ignorant, I have simply never dabbled in LCDs because, up untill now I have had no use for them. My CRT is biting the dust and my computer is about to migrate into a HTPC enviroment, where a CRT would look tasteless.

I do not believe that for one second. That is like saying an Enzo and a Veyron are designed for the same thing because they are both fast cars. I dont need the 12ms LCDs because ghosting is a non-issue in 2d apps... thus I can save some money. (Sorry I sound like an asshole, I just get to the point)

I will definatly go check out the Samsung 173 though... that kind of info is EXACTLY what I wanted. Monitors with average response times and vibrant, accurate colors :D

I will also give the NEC multisyncs a look see in some stores. Thanks for the tip.

I would like to keep it under $500... but if $550-$600 is going to double my quality, I'll reconsider.

I would also recommend the 173P! It's an ultra sharp display with amazing 2d quality and color reproduction. I really couldn't beleive how crisp and clean it was. I also use this same monitor for gaming as well and it doesn't feel like a 25ms display at all. And when I compared it to the CRT on the family computer I realized I would never go back to CRT, it was just that good. I also went to my friend's house and he has a LCD..its a dell something???? But it was lacking the brightness and clairty of the 173P. The 2d quality is also what made me decide to get this one instead of a 12ms display (ie Samsung 172x) and it also has a 90 degree tilt for web browsing. Anyways be sure to read plenty of reviews for this and other monitors because im sure there are more great displays out there! GL!

Ispy

Back