Advice on s1283 heatsink instaliation?

neokeelo

[H]ard|Gawd
This is my first time ever using this heat sink and I was told the installation can be tricky. I'm building my friend a system tonight so I want to be prepared.

Do any of you have experience with this heat sink? I'm referring to this one --> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233003

I will be using Artic Silver 5 and a high performance 120mm fan for it and overclocking a Q6600 to ~3.3ghz.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

ah ok so thats what that is, yes I bought this computer used and it already has one of those.

ah ok so thats what that is, yes I bought this computer used and it already has one of those.

That is handy.

But I doubt you will need any high speed fan. Maybe a fan around 1200rpm will be enough. High rpm doesn't mean much lower temperature at low to medium loads.

ok how do i put that back plate on? I got arctic silver on the heatsink now i need to mount it to the cpu.

you just line it up to the screw holes on the back of the motherboard and then screw down the heatsink from the top side

ok how do i put that back plate on? I got arctic silver on the heatsink now i need to mount it to the cpu.

Is the mobo inside or outside of the case? If it's out then you just peel off the cover from the sticky part of the back plate so it can stick and line up the holes to the mounting points and push it on so it stays in place, then you put the mobo into the case. If it's in the case and you do not have an access point on the other side of the mobo tray, you will have to take out the mobo to put the back plate on, that's the only nice thing about push pins, no need to take out the mobo.

I'm not using the push pins i have the back bracket in the link, I put it on and am screwing it down now but do all 4 need to be flush against the motherboard or just tight enough to hold it on?

I have a S1283. How is that back plate going to help, just hold it tighter for better contact?

Also, I'm kinda hesitant to the 'night and day' difference.

I have a S1283. How is that back plate going to help, just hold it tighter for better contact?

Also, I'm kinda hesitant to the 'night and day' difference.

I have the Dark Knight version of that HSF, that uses the spring mounted nuts and backplate. The "night and day" difference is that the pushpin is a royal PITA to get right and iv'e never trusted it to hold properly, especially a HSF that big. The spring loaded screws and backplate on the S1283 and Dark Knight make it:

A: MUCH easier to install
B: MUCH more secure

vs using the pushpin.

complete.jpg
[/IMG]

Sweet, i got the CPU and heat sink and mother board installed im idling 30C :) I put two small I think lines horizontal across the CPU heat spreader (its a quad core 6600) was that a bad idea? I haven't overclocked yet, ill keep you guys updated.

Sweet, i got the CPU and heat sink and mother board installed im idling 30C :) I put two small I think lines horizontal across the CPU heat spreader (its a quad core 6600) was that a bad idea? I haven't overclocked yet, ill keep you guys updated.

Guide here.

My cpu shows up as 2.2ghz when idling in windows? Is this correct? I thought it should run at the overclocked settings all the time? ( 3.3ghz) Im using the Abit Ip35 Pro XE Motherboard.

Well guys Im confused, I put two horizontal strip of Arctic Silver 5 along the Heatsink after cleaning it and filling in the creveaces. This is a pre-built system and after talkign with the original owner I put these settings in and changed nothing else.

. I have the v core at 1.3025 right now with FSB at 370. Other settings are 1.33 mch, 1.31 vtt, 2.00 ddr2, and 68% for GTLREFs. I'm hitting 71-71C on the first two cores using Real temp and testing using Intel Stress Test.

Should I reset the heatsink and use the"two pea size method" spread along the middle? ... sorry I'm just confused, this is different than overclocking my C2D system on my Asus board,

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:
Make sure EIST and C1E are both off.

You are fine with the heatsink. I suggest spending time now learning that new bios.

I didn't have much problem installing the heatsink. So I shouldn't worry about the backplate then?

I turned them both off and now it is staying at 3.29ghz. I guess I will leave it at that, using the Intel Burn test in standard mode im hitting 69-70C tops on one or two cores. the former owner said he got only 65C at 3.35ghz. I might have applied the Arctic Silver incorrectly.

well it all depends on ambient temps. the previous owner couldve been running it in a room thats colder then yours.

also about the back plate vs the push pins... ive got ocz version of the s1283 and the push pins aren't all that bad. they are very secure and easy to install. i got the blackplate to make the heatsink compatible with 1366 and its alright. maybe slighty better contact and maybe a 1-2c drop in temps nothing night and day. i like the pushpins because you can install the heatsink in under 10 seconds.

I turned them both off and now it is staying at 3.29ghz. I guess I will leave it at that, using the Intel Burn test in standard mode im hitting 69-70C tops on one or two cores. the former owner said he got only 65C at 3.35ghz. I might have applied the Arctic Silver incorrectly.
First of all, once you're done stress-testing, you can go ahead and reenable C1E and EIST, since they'll save power when your CPU is idle. They won't have any negative effect on performance or stability, so there isn't any real reason to keep them off.

As for your temperatures, a 5C difference can be explained by any number of things, including what kind of thermal paste you used, how you applied it, how you mounted the heatsink, the airflow you have in your case, ambient temperatures, etc. However, at the end of the day it really doesn't matter at all if your temps are a bit higher than you were expecting so long as they are within safe levels, as your temperatures certainly are. So I say just don't worry about it.

Back