Aerocool Racer (Microfly Clone) Advice, Comments

Zybortrix

Weaksauce
[H]i,

Calling all Microfly owners.

I've ordered an Aerocooler Racer from a Australian dealer to house my general purpose PC and i'm wondering if i've made the right choice. It was either the Racer or the SG02. Both are similarly priced though i am aware that the SG02 is generally considered to be of better build quality as well as considerably smaller. I went with this though because it already sports a black chassis (i'd have painted the SG02 anyway) and it just looks better in my opinion (it's the best looking Microfly i've seen yet in fact).

Pics:

AcRacer1.jpg

And:

ACRacer2.jpg

Anyway, on to the questions,

Firstly how big a GPU can i fit in this baby?

Secondly what kind of CPU restrictions can i expect?

Will a Zalman CNPS9700NT or Asus Silent Knight II CPU Cooler (both pictured below) fit in this without modification or with simple dremel work?

SilentKnightII.jpg

CNPS9700NT.jpg

And as far as i can tell a bonafide Microfly supports a 120mm exhaust fan and an 80mm intake fan yet this clone (that in my view is better looking) appears to lack the 80mm intake fan and even provisions for one (it's not mentioned at all in the specs sheet at Aerocools website).

I'm not shy with the ol' dremel but it would be nice to know all the same.

Aside from that does anyone have anything to say in favour or against this case, or in comparison to a Silverstone SG02-F that i should be aware of?

Hardware to furnish this build includes:

Asus P5E VM HDMI
Intel E6850
Corsair Dominator 1066 (4 x 1gb sticks but not the D9 versions :( )
HIS HD 2900 XT - (Another reason i chose this case - i love the look of this ol' timer)
Western Digital 320 Gig SATA HDD
Corsair HX 620 PSU
LG SATA Optical

Now the 2900XT is a hot card and i am concerned about ambient heat. Should i be? I can throw in a much cooler and more efficient exhauster of hot air like a 3870 if need be . .

Also I'd like to run @ 500 FSB with the RAM @ 1000 mhz if possible.

Any tips on achieving this for long term use with this build? My Dominators (at least i think it's the RAM) don't like that currently (6 x 500) - bootable, benchable, but regular random reboots after a while.

The reason i'm full of questions and perhaps a little anxiety is that i'm retiring an Antec P180 Mini in the process. Sexy it might be, awesome cooling it might have, and ample room for hardware money shots it boasts but not funky enough to cure my sickness.

I'm not new to SFF btw (complete SG03 nutter am i), i'm just new to this case.

Z.

Nice... so Aerocool ripped off the MX6 as well? The original case at least had a different front, but now I am not surprised they aren't in the US...

I would go with the ASUS sink. It looks like it will be more in-line with the rear fan and you would probably only need to dremel part of the bracket. I cut out a section when I had the 9500.

I'd have to say I like the old microfly more than this case. The door cover is just not a good idea, totally going to break if it gets bumped. IMO.

Back