After Video Card change, Intermittent system shutdown

MFury

n00b
Hey guys, first time posting here even though I have read the forums for years.
Problem I have is this:
I have a water cooled system that I keep running all the time doing torrent stuff and such. I recently upgraded my 9600XT to a X850XT AGP 256MB from ATI and now have system power downs when playing 3D games sometimes within 2 min and sometimes within 15 min but never longer then that. I at first thought that the water cooling couldn't handle the increase wattage from the 850XT so added another Radiator which sits between the video card and cpu. My overall cooling has dropped by 8 degrees Celsius even under full load but the problem remains. System specs are such:
Asus K8N-E Deluxe latest BIOS
AMD 64 3200+ 754pin
2x 1Gb sticks of Kingston DDR 3200
ATI Radeon X850XT 256DDR3 AGP
Audigy2 XGamer
Intel Extreme NIC
74Gb Raptor SATA Actively fan heatsink cooled
250Gb Maxtor SATA fan cooled
2x 80Gb Seagate SATA RAID 0 fan cooled
480Watt Thermaltake Silent Purepower PSU
BenQ 1640 DVD burner
Cooled by a Koolance PC2-650BU Tower with Koolance add-on radiator
water blocks on chipset, GPU and CPU
temp reads 27 degrees C unloaded
32 degrees C full load
Harddrives registering 32 degrees constant after warm up
latest drivers on chipset and ATI Omega version
fresh Windows XP Pro
CPU was overclocked to 230 x 11 with 9600XT video card without any problems
memory set to spd
850XT set at default 520core 540memory in 3D Games underclocked to 440 460 at desktop
I get no lock ups or video corruption in games the system just shuts down as if I pulled the power plug.
The system is UPSed by an APC XS1000
I have overclocked the 850XT to 550 560 but if I go any higher like 560 560 then system shuts off, I get video artifacting when memory gets above 560 but haven't been able to see limit of GPU due to system shut downs.
I can passed the 3DMark 05 tests at default but with GPU overclocked settings the system shtuts down before completion.
Even though 3DMark05 passes the tests at default settings the latest 3D games don't run long before problem occurs.

Those symptoms make me suspect temperature or power problems. Given your cooling and temp readings, it's unlikely that cooling is the problem. Can you test with a different PSU? Or perhaps with a lot of your accessories unplugged? You have a lot of equipment in your rig and your PSU's rated 18A on the 12V outputs may be borderline..

I was thinking you needed at least 24A on the +12V rail. Sounds like a PSU issue to me as well.

Ok I'll dissconnect the 2 Seagate drives since they are mainly storage now and dissconnect the cooling fan for them. 2.6 amps per drive and .20 amps on fan may make a difference. Wish this PSU had the twin 12v rails like the newer models.

Ok unplugged the drives and have cpu at 11x220 and quickly tested ATI OCed to 575 575 and no problem so far, gonna test in game later tonight.

Ok ran to store nearby and picked up this one http://www.thermaltake.com/purepower/W0023.htm
the active pfc is nice feature.
Overclocked cpu and gpu to max and ran games for a few hours with no problems at all. Never thought I would has maxxed out a 480 watt psu but I guess it is easily possible. Thanks for input guys.

Back