After yesterdays post, I'm going to build my own one time use gaming rig

Gh0st

Limp Gawd
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Mostly web browsing. I will want to play Diablo 3 whenever that comes out though. I'm in IT, so I'll tinker with things, but I also have an ESX box at home for most of that.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
The cheaper the better, but around $800

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
Dutchcess/Putnam/Westchester County of NY

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
Case, PSU, motherboard, CPU, RAM, video card, hard drive, DVD drive, 120mm fans and HSF

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
I have a 1TB drive from my old machine that I will be using for data

6) Will you be overclocking?
Not really my intent, might be nice to have the option though

7) 7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
1440x900. 19" wide screen. I will most likely be buying a new one though. Having two 24" at work is spoiling me.

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Now, unless something awesome is coming out tomorrow and I should wait

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video? etc.
None of those really. USB 3.0 might be nice for the future though

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If so, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Yes. Windows 7 64 bit

=================================================================

So here is what I spec'ed out so far:
LIAN LI Lancool PC-K7B
Antec NEO ECO 620C 620W PSU
ASRock Z68 PRO3
Intel Core i5-2500K
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2 2.5" 64GB SSD
SAPPHIRE 100338L Radeon HD 6770 1GB
2x Scythe SY1225SL12L 120mm "Slipstream" Case Fan
and a random Samsung DVD burner

This all comes to a grand total of $805

=================================================================

Is there anything that's worth changing? Any comments? It almost seems like this might be a little over-built for my needs. Is there a HSF that anyone would recommend or would the stock one be ok? Like I said, I'm most likely not going to be overclocking like a nut if at all, so I don't need anything extreme.

Last edited:
it looks like a solid build, but i would get an aftermarket heatsink for the 2500k, i believe the hyper 212 will fit it but you may want to double check. (also check the height, make sure it will fit in your case)

Well, it doesn't look bad to me. A couple things to consider though. That case comes with 3 120 fans, if you are planning on changing them all out thats 3 fans. If your worried that much about noise, cooling, and airflow, are you going to get an aftermarket heatsink? If you ever plan on overclocking that 2500k I seriously suggest it.

Everyone has their own priorities, but for me (if I was not planning on overclocking right away-which isn't like me at all :D ) I would hold off on the slipstream fans, use the stock cooler on the CPU and spend more money on the graphics card. The 6770 is almost exactly the same as the 5770. Thats not a terrible performance level, I had an EVGA 260-216 super clock that was about the same performance level, and it served me well for years. But those years are past, and if you juggle your budget some you should be able to get a 6850/6870 or a gtx 560 (non Ti) which are much better cards and will serve you better with todays games.

Later if you plan on overclocking or need to get things quieter, get those fans and a heatsink. I just picked up a Xigmatek black knight for 4 dollars after rebate, so if you just watch some sales you can pick up some parts you dont need right now and install them later.

one time use huh?

can I have it after you are done playing?

Well, it doesn't look bad to me. A couple things to consider though. That case comes with 3 120 fans, if you are planning on changing them all out thats 3 fans.

Good catch, I didn't notice that the case came with the fans. I'll take a look at the other video cards. Actually, not getting the slipstream fans saves me like $30 so I'll upgrade to a 6850. Is there a HSF that's all the rage today?

Hmm, any non-water cooled options?

Sure, you can have it when I'm done :)

These all in one setups are not like traditional watercooling, permanently sealed, pump integrated in the block, really easy to set up and reliable.

If you are scared I get it, but folks really like them.

These all in one setups are not like traditional watercooling, permanently sealed, pump integrated in the block, really easy to set up and reliable.

If you are scared I get it, but folks really like them.

I'm not scared of them. I went the water cooling route a few years ago. They're just more expensive and sometimes not worth the hassle. I'll have to think about it for a bit.

I'm not scared of them. I went the water cooling route a few years ago. They're just more expensive and sometimes not worth the hassle. I'll have to think about it for a bit.

The Hyper 212+ is still a very good air cooler, especially for the price. The low-end all-in-one coolers like the H60 aren't really very good in price/performance, their main benefit is that they fit well in small cases and they exhaust the hot air outside the case, which helps if you have poor case airflow. For decent cases, you can get just as good (or better) performance from the much cheaper 212+.

Back