Age of Conan Gameplay Performance and IQ @ [H]

8600gt

gets almost the same fps as 3sli 9800s lol... this game needs optimization.

i can get 15fps... or spend 1.5k in vid cards and get 35fps! awesome.

8600gt
gets almost the same fps as 3sli 9800s lol... this game needs optimization.
...<snip>...

Pick a Number and Get in Line! Cause first they have to nerf all the classes into oblivion and add voice to some of the NPCs outside of Tortage.... After that, maybe they can try to optimize game "performance" in time to be included in the first Expansion, which will give us more level 30+ and level 50+ quests. :rolleyes:

I find the game looks way better with AA on + transparency AA enabled in the Nvidia Control Panel. Without transparency AA, I was just running with no AA to get higher frames. Even with just 2xAA + transparency, overall the game looks so much better since it takes the edge off all the grass and trees, you should give it a shot.
well i was trying to find a playable framerate for the guy who was asking how 1920x1200 does on an 8800gt, and on my monitor it looked better with no AA but all the detail maxed out, of course on LCD it's a different story. I play at 1600x1000 2xAA w/transparency for that same reason you just mentioned, in addition to being able to use a much more comfortable refresh rate of 100hz (1920x1200@85hz is still flickery and I don't want to blow up my FW900).

Pick a Number and Get in Line! Cause first they have to nerf all the classes into oblivion and add voice to some of the NPCs outside of Tortage.... After that, maybe they can try to optimize game "performance" in time to be included in the first Expansion, which will give us more level 30+ and level 50+ quests. :rolleyes:

What do u mean they have to nerf all the classes into oblivion? Tempest healer just got major nerf with today's update. It is already weak soloing, and it is going to be worse. Between lvl 40-45, it can't even solo 3x3- mobs. After spells boosts at lvl 45, it is survivable. I just think that they shouldn't make every 5 lvls a jump.

Well, I plan to buy the card in july. But you can only wait so long...
a 1gb 4870 (AoC textures are huge) should be right up your alley i think. 4850 already beats the 9800gtx in almost every game (and it straight up demolishes it when 4xAA or more is applied), the 4870 with 20% faster clocks and almost double the memory bandwidth should be very very good for the money (CJ over at beyond3d says it beats the GTX 260 in some tests). NDA expires this week, we should see some numbers soon.

a 1gb 4870 (AoC textures are huge) should be right up your alley i think. 4850 already beats the 9800gtx in almost every game (and it straight up demolishes it when 4xAA or more is applied), the 4870 with 20% faster clocks and almost double the memory bandwidth should be very very good for the money (CJ over at beyond3d says it beats the GTX 260 in some tests). NDA expires this week, we should see some numbers soon.

Either the 4850 or the 4870 might find its' way into my HTPC very soon I think.

I went from 9800GX2 to 280GTX today, and wow what a difference in Age of Conan at 2560x1600. I got barely acceptable performance out of AoC with 9800GX2 and even that required turning down several graphics settings. Fps often spiked very often below 20 fps, especially in town/village areas.

With 280GTX I turned settings to high, upped view distance to 3500m and enabled bloom and the game runs with smooth 35-45 fps in most of the areas, with minor spikes down to 20-25 fps. :)

As a side note, Assassin's Creed, Hellgate London and especially Mass Effect run now perfectly too - I had performance issues in all of them with 9800GX2. 9800GX2 feels like an expensive mistake now, and I thought I had learned my lesson with 7950GX2. :(

Sounds good. I'll keep an eye on that card, it'll be released next week, right?
Anyway, here's what I've got currently :
2x2GB OCZ DDR2 800
Intel Core 2 Duo 8400

Specs in Sig,

I would run 1680x1050 , would average 50-70 FPS depending on population. This was on MED settings AA, Bloom and shadows off.

During Multiple MOB fights i would drop sometimes to 10-15 frames and get horrendous Lag.

I went from 9800GX2 to 280GTX today, and wow what a difference in Age of Conan at 2560x1600. I got barely acceptable performance out of AoC with 9800GX2 and even that required turning down several graphics settings. Fps often spiked very often below 20 fps, especially in town/village areas.

With 280GTX I turned settings to high, upped view distance to 3500m and enabled bloom and the game runs with smooth 35-45 fps in most of the areas, with minor spikes down to 20-25 fps. :)

As a side note, Assassin's Creed, Hellgate London and especially Mass Effect run now perfectly too - I had performance issues in all of them with 9800GX2. 9800GX2 feels like an expensive mistake now, and I thought I had learned my lesson with 7950GX2. :(

Man I want benchmarks of the 4870 in AOC SOOOOO BAD now... really torn between the 280GTX and the 4870.

Sounds good. I'll keep an eye on that card, it'll be released next week, right?
Anyway, here's what I've got currently :
2x2GB OCZ DDR2 800
Intel Core 2 Duo 8400
the 1GB version might be a little longer since GDDR5 production just started and most of the chips will go to the 512 (thats what people are saying anyway), but the E8400 is the best cpu for this game, I never saw it use more than 40% of my quad except on loading screens.

Can you link the ram you are looking at? DDR2-800 is not so good for a E8400 if it doesnt overclock because you will want to use at least 445FSB for 4.0ghz, take a look at this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231166, it will let you run a 5:6 divider for ddr2-1066.

I like what I'm hearing.

Im running 2560x1600 atm with my 8800GTX, preset it to "high" then whacked the view distance up to max (3500m), dropped the water and shadow quality to lowest.

I'm missing HDR, AA and decent shadows/water, I could probably live with shadows/water on low if it afforded me 2xTSAA.

So you are saying that the canned demo's/benchmarks do not reflect actual play? I'm confused by this. I mean, almost every review site out there say that demo's accurately reflect a cards capability. Would their be a review site out there that actually might give a better link between a cards capability and the game it is being used with?

So you are saying that the canned demo's/benchmarks do not reflect actual play? I'm confused by this. I mean, almost every review site out there say that demo's accurately reflect a cards capability. Would their be a review site out there that actually might give a better link between a cards capability and the game it is being used with?
because sli is a farce? AFR framerate numbers from benchmarks are meaningless, the latency and sync issues make the effective framerate (what you actually see while playing not the number) much less. This is why the 280 appears to run much faster than the X2 to many people who can see the microstuttering, besides sli doesn't do shit for AoC anyway, the 9800x2 is barely faster than one 8800gt.

The problem is that those time demos and benchmark tests don't always match what you see in actual games. This article explains it perfectly.

What do u mean they have to nerf all the classes into oblivion? Tempest healer just got major nerf with today's update. It is already weak soloing, and it is going to be worse. Between lvl 40-45, it can't even solo 3x3- mobs. After spells boosts at lvl 45, it is survivable. I just think that they shouldn't make every 5 lvls a jump.

Honestly I was trying to be sarcastic. They did, in fact, seem to have included a performance increase in the last patch. Though I have no idea if it scales to one's hardware or not. I can mildly entertain the idea that someday it might begin to work better with SLI, but in some respects it doesn't matter too much.

As for ToS and the current state of nerfage... I feel your pain. But it's not much better with my PoM (which used to be excellent) or my Guardian (who now can't tank 3-4 mobs that are a few levels below him). And I can't even bare to log on to my Barbarians, or my Ranger, ... or my Conqueror. This trend really worries me, but if I can't really play that gives me lots of time to send in "feedback". (I also have a ToS, though very low level, and they've made it so I cannot currently advance him... because Everything, Constantly, Repeatedly, RESISTS my spells... resulting in another horrible death!)

Honestly I was trying to be sarcastic. They did, in fact, seem to have included a performance increase in the last patch. Though I have no idea if it scales to one's hardware or not. I can mildly entertain the idea that someday it might begin to work better with SLI, but in some respects it doesn't matter too much.

As for ToS and the current state of nerfage... I feel your pain. But it's not much better with my PoM (which used to be excellent) or my Guardian (who now can't tank 3-4 mobs that are a few levels below him). And I can't even bare to log on to my Barbarians, or my Ranger, ... or my Conqueror. This trend really worries me, but if I can't really play that gives me lots of time to send in "feedback". (I also have a ToS, though very low level, and they've made it so I cannot currently advance him... because Everything, Constantly, Repeatedly, RESISTS my spells... resulting in another horrible death!)

Are you and I playing the same game? Mobs a few levels below get absolutely DESTROYED by any of my characters (lvl 50 Guadian, Lvl 50 Assassin, lvl 50 Barb). Hell on my Guardian I can easily tank 5-6 equal level mobs without breaking a sweat, and about 2-3 equal level mobs on my assassin (Combo Atrophy ftw).

Never played a conq but from what I've heard they are more of an off-tank/debuffer than a straight up tank. What're your feats like, because they can make or break a class for you. This goes for pretty much most/all the solider archetypes and rogue archetypes.

Are you and I playing the same game? Mobs a few levels below get absolutely DESTROYED by any of my characters (lvl 50 Guadian, Lvl 50 Assassin, lvl 50 Barb). Hell on my Guardian I can easily tank 5-6 equal level mobs without breaking a sweat, and about 2-3 equal level mobs on my assassin (Combo Atrophy ftw).

Never played a conq but from what I've heard they are more of an off-tank/debuffer than a straight up tank. What're your feats like, because they can make or break a class for you. This goes for pretty much most/all the solider archetypes and rogue archetypes.

I've got a 48th level Barbarian and I have to agree with you. If the mobs are lower level than me they get destroyed pretty badly. I can usually take on 2 or 3 enemies at once even a couple levels higher than me without too much difficulty. I also agree with your comments on the feats. How you allocate them is a serious matter. You have to provide some fore thought into how you want the character to ultimately turn out and what kind of weapons you want to use with it. For example the Barbarian can dual wield or use two handed weapons. If you prefer one or the other you need to allocate your feat points to best serve that strategy. If you throw a bunch of points into making your Cyclone of Steel combo better and you don't actually use two weapons you are literally wasting your points.

Just to echo what the two of you are saying, I also don't have any problems playing my Assassin. A lot of the people having problems don't really understand how the combo/feat systems work. AoC is not WoW and playing it like WoW is going to lead to a bad experience. Combat is very involved the higher you get. You have to use the right combos at the right times. You also have to really know the strengths and weaknesses of the class that you're playing.

Let's just say AoC used to be too easy and people advanced level too quickly. Now after June 23rd patch, it is getting a little more difficult, but the fighter and rogue classes can still own a few mobs above their level.

The only challenge for fighter classes are the elite mobs.

Last patch nerfed Tempest of Set quite a lot from a nuclear AoE attacking priest to 3 mobs maximum.

edit: ^^^^^ Indeed the nerf stick was pretty big for ToS. But then again if anyone thought that ToS wouldn't be hit with a gigantic nerf was kidding themselves. I could solo Sanctum on my ToS at lvl40, that just wasn't right.

The thing that I found funny was that ALL the classes Cannydog mentioned are all VERY good at solo play and are fairly forgiving if you pull an extra mob or two. Unlike playing a
necro or a hox or an assassin or something along those lines.

My necro is only level 26... but i can easily take care of a mob of 2 or 3 level 28/29. :D

Now if only they would fix the game so that my 3870 used more than 30% of the GPU. :(

edit: ^^^^^ Indeed the nerf stick was pretty big for ToS. But then again if anyone thought that ToS wouldn't be hit with a gigantic nerf was kidding themselves. I could solo Sanctum on my ToS at lvl40, that just wasn't right.

Are u kidding? Your ToS can take on elite mob (not even elite boss) solo in Sanctum? What did u use? combined AoE Storm Field and Storm Crown plus active blocking?

Are u kidding? Your ToS can take on elite mob (not even elite boss) solo in Sanctum? What did u use? combined AoE Storm Field and Storm Crown plus active blocking?

Pretty much, active block being a very big key here. Never pulling 2 mobs, etc. LOADS of potion use as well.

It's not easy but doable. Now that mobs don't disengage in that instance it'll be pretty much impossible as you'll almost always get a 2+ pull and you won't be able to seperate them.

Do they 4800 series cards suffer from the same GPU utilization limitation that they 3800 series cards suffer from in this game?

This is my 4870 in AoC, 1920X1200, all settings to High.

AoC_GPU_usage.jpg

This is my 4870 in AoC, 1920X1200, all settings to High.

All settings to High doesn't mean all to Max. What did u set for AA, AF, shadows, and viewing distances (quality and otherwise), water reflections?

The map you are in tends to have higher framerate. I am getting 30-50 framerates in that map.

Let see if u can get same framerate in Old Tarantia, in the middle of a crowded city.

What kind of system you have?

Cities drop a bit, mid 50's when I bother to check. Rig is a [email protected], 4GB 1066, Vista Ultimate 64. Frame rates are noticeably higher than with the 8800 GTX this card replaced.

Pic location was just where I happened so spawn to take a look at GPU usage.

use Ctril+Alt+F to turn on framerate monitor if I remember correctly in AoC.

In the AoC, when High settings are on, the AA, Shadows, reflection and viewing distances are not necessary to Max.

Don't know if u ever been to a location called Carnibell's Cave. Inside, my framerates dropped to unplayable 6-8 fps.

All settings to High doesn't mean all to Max. What did u set for AA, AF, shadows, and viewing distances (quality and otherwise), water reflections?

The map you are in tends to have higher framerate. I am getting 30-50 framerates in that map.

Let see if u can get same framerate in Old Tarantia, in the middle of a crowded city.

What kind of system you have?

I think he/she was just trying to show that the gpu utilization was hitting 80% and getting a decent fps well above what people with the 3800 series card are reporting regarding gpu util....

I don't think he was trying to out "FPS" you ... no fear your pwnage is safe :rolleyes:

I think he/she was just trying to show that the gpu utilization was hitting 80% and getting a decent fps well above what people with the 3800 series card are reporting regarding gpu util....

I don't think he was trying to out "FPS" you ... no fear your pwnage is safe :rolleyes:

I wasn't trying to criticize him or anything. My system is 2-3 years old, so I am trying to figure out what kind of gain I would get if switch to 4870 or 280 playing AoC.

He is using the same monitor I am using. Just that the pic location he took is a generally high framerate area.

I wasn't trying to criticize him or anything. My system is 2-3 years old, so I am trying to figure out what kind of gain I would get if switch to 4870 or 280 playing AoC.

With all the performance issues the game has, I think it would be hard to say. I just upgraded from a 8800GTS 512 to the HD 4850 and noticed a about a 10-15 fps increase however I moved from running it with no ffa and 8x af to 4xff and 16af...

I still think the game is limiting my performance due to poor code though.

With all the performance issues the game has, I think it would be hard to say. I just upgraded from a 8800GTS 512 to the HD 4850 and noticed a about a 10-15 fps increase however I moved from running it with no ffa and 8x af to 4xff and 16af...

I still the game is limiting my performance due to poor code though.

Some benchmark showed that in AoC, 4870 doesn't perform as well as 280 comparing to in CoD4 4870 vs 280.

I am hoping that my next video card would get me a gain of 15-20 fps at 1920x1200 with 4xAA.

Tough call, 260 performs much better, but it seems to me it's limited to this game. And it's more expensive, of course.

Hocksters, AA & Shadows enabled?

Performance on 9800GX2 is quite a disappointment, I'm running the game at 2560x1600 and most of the details need to be turned down quite a bit in order to get acceptable performance. I haven't played with the texture cache setting so far - perhaps tweaking it will yield some more fps. Maybe the game needs some more performance optimization or it just isn't very SLI friendly?

I think u are right, I dont see any different weather i enable or disable the SLI on my 2x Geforce 8800 ULTRA SLI. the fps remains the same.

question guys. can someone please post a screen shot of this game at its lowest settings? i want to see if my p4 northwood cpu and a 7800gtx can run this game at low settings at 1680x1050 or maybe 720p. im hoping it can and at low settings look like guild wars at high settings. in reality it should do so if AOC scales well in old tech machines but i maybe wrong and that the lowest settings might look worse then this:
6200guildwars.jpg

if it looks worse then that i wont buy it but if it looks identical to that with reasonable framerates on my rig then i will purchase it has i have heard this game is like guild wars which i am enjoying a hell of a lot recently. Thanks in advance and hope someone with the game has some spare 3mins to down the settings to its lowest at 1680res and post a screeny of what it looks like. cheers fellow [H] members

Back