AGP club

Status
Not open for further replies.
when i built my system (in sig) it was top of the line and pci-e was just starting... i was scared of it... and thought "ehh it probly wont be popular" well like 6 months later.... agp what?

ive got a 9800pro (retired hehe)
Currently have the X850

i have 10 agp cards,6 pcie, and 3 pci cards.. what is the location of this club? going to have events like going to Hawaii together? /me giggles

i still have AGP... nvidia 7900 whatever... on my iwill dk8n

AGP is still the freshest format. For me, I have no choice since I need 4 PCI slots and no enthusiast PCI express motherboard gives you that. None.

DFI nf3 Ultra-D - Socket 939 with 5 PCI slots. Safe.

Screw PCI express and it's filthy pig-dog PCI slot stealing infidel evil twin Mr. SLI !

If I may ask, why do you need 4 PCI slots? Certainly, you can find a USB device for something that you are using a PCI slot for.

If I may ask, why do you need 4 PCI slots? Certainly, you can find a USB device for something that you are using a PCI slot for.
Is that an open question? Well some people use PCI slots for specific purposes such as raid controllers, sound cards, wireless cards etc. Sometimes these components are very "hi tech" which make them too complex to put on a USB device (for example good sound cards).

AGP sucks

Actually is doesn't. If you read reviews for the X1950 PRO AGP, it performs pretty much on par with its cousin.

I am running Vista Ultimate on a KT800 Socket 754. Had a 6800GT in it till about 2 weeks ago, but wanted to give it a little boost and got a VisonTek X1950 PRO (that plus I've been hearing how ATI drivers are better for Vista right now, and so far it think there's truth to that).

I wanted a rig to play Halo 2 on, till I do a new high end Vista rig, and I was having some issues with Media Center. The X1950PRO cleared up the Media Center issues, and the system is running pretty smooth. FEAR actually runs pretty well on this system in Vista at 1280x1024 with near maximum settings and 2XAA. Not great, but very playable.

Actually, Vista runs as well as XP on this system. Really, give Vista memory, a decent graphics card, and its pretty good to go. Even a three old Athlon 64 3400+ is plenty of processor for even a pretty high end game in Vista like FEAR.

Good PC is pretty awesome these days. I know Intel and AMD want to sell processors, but there's just not software outside of games and other high-end 3D apps that tax even a three year old 754 AGP.

AGP systems will be good to go for most apps for at least five more years.

Is that an open question? Well some people use PCI slots for specific purposes such as raid controllers, sound cards, wireless cards etc. Sometimes these components are very "hi tech" which make them too complex to put on a USB device (for example good sound cards).

I was just wondering what specifically you needed 4 PCI slots for. Discrete sound I can understand, though there are USB sound card alternatives, but I don't really know if they are any good. RAID controllers have been on the motherboard for years (at least PATA and SATA).

Just curious if that's ok!

AGP sucks

Ahem. That's not a very nice thing to say... Next time, why don't you try this....

"In my own personal opinion, I feel that AGP is a lesser form of interface than PCIe, and therefore I choose to spend my own personal money on PCIe based equipment."

Now see, that's not all that hard, is it?

Seriously, AGP doesn't "suck", it's just not as fancy and shiny as PCIe, that's all. My X1950pro flat kicks ass, it's a perfect match for my system, and will definitely hold me over until I'm ready for a complete system upgrade, which I'm guessing is six to eight months off..

I was just wondering what specifically you needed 4 PCI slots for. Discrete sound I can understand, though there are USB sound card alternatives, but I don't really know if they are any good. RAID controllers have been on the motherboard for years (at least PATA and SATA).

Just curious if that's ok!
You're right. For average Joe there's usually no need for 4 PCI slots. However, taking me for example: in my 4 PCI slots I have an X-Fi sound card (no USB device comes anywhere near the quality/power), two raid controllers that I use for raid 3 and raid 5 (mobo doesn't support raid 3 and its raid 5 features are not sufficient enough for my needs) as well as a wi-fi card (yes there are USB alternatives but nothing with the same processing power).

What I'm trying to get at is that for some people 4+ PCI slots are needed as USB devices do not have the processing power to replace some hi-end PCI devices.

I like AGP because it's just the right speed for the job.

PCI-e is like a crazy drunken driver; it's eventually going to kill someone, hit your kids at high speed or wreck your car.

I have:

Voodoo3 2000 AGP laying here in front of me

and in use (in pc at work):

eVGA fx5200 AGP (purchased with evga bucks from 7800GT rebate)

so I guess i'll join the club.........

BFG 7800GS OC has no problem with anything you throw at it !.

I have a Ti 4200 64 MB in my Sempron (socket A) back-up system.

My best friend is running a 6800GT (soon to be a 1950Pro AGP) in his system (socket 478).

Long live AGP.

AGP Sapphire Radeon x800 GTO! WOOOOOO!

And it's being bottlenecked! And this is my primary computer! :D :D :D

Donations?

You're right. For average Joe there's usually no need for 4 PCI slots. However, taking me for example: in my 4 PCI slots I have an X-Fi sound card (no USB device comes anywhere near the quality/power), two raid controllers that I use for raid 3 and raid 5 (mobo doesn't support raid 3 and its raid 5 features are not sufficient enough for my needs) as well as a wi-fi card (yes there are USB alternatives but nothing with the same processing power).

What I'm trying to get at is that for some people 4+ PCI slots are needed as USB devices do not have the processing power to replace some hi-end PCI devices.

Thanks for the feddback! I would however think that a USB wireless adapter would be fine, though I've never used them myself as my desktops are hardwired. I've actually got three USB tuners hooked up to my sig rig, one of them a high-def OTA reciever, along with keyboard, mouse, joystick, PDA, two USB external drives, and my PDA and it actually works pretty well.

AGP sucks

If you say so, why did you even bother coming into this thread then hmm? Now this is threadcrapping right mods + admins?

Well My agp freaking pwns( well it was $1000 back in '04 now around $600) its about the same as a pcie 7800gs(pcie) So if im going to upgrade my graphics card I would only upgrade to a 7950gx2 or a dx10 card so I can really see a difference or maybe a 7600gt that is if my dad needs the card back for work which is most likely not since he has like 24!!!! of them... well actually since his client had to downgrade their gpus to x2's he went over there and change them out and right now the company (where dad works at) dosen't need it back right now so dad is letting me use it for now :) Have been using it for 1year+ and still as good as before.

S3 Virge3d GX2....in a box somewhere with other random hardware
(S3 had no right to put 3D in the name of that, it was a dog)

EVGA 6800gs in main rig and random other (lesser) AGP in the hardware pile

Can I be in the PCI club too? Got my Matrox M3d, VooDoo2 SLI setup and VooDoo3 2000 PCI still. (thinly veiled attempt to thread hijack)

Just like all those other cpu socket clubs they have president/ vice president, So since you are the first to respond you will be vice president :)

Cool! Thanks!

I promise not to accidentally shoot one of my hunting partners in the face.:eek: :D

Kidding aside, I ran the 9800pro through its paces with some Delta Force: Black Hawk Down tonight, and was instantly reminded as to why I originally purchased this card. Outstanding performer for its time.:)

I still run a agp 6800GT in my main gaming rig :cool:
That's the best damn card I have ever owned, it's lasted me so much longer than my others. I only play at 1280x1024 so that the main reason I guess.

I would like to request the position of AGP Club Janitor.

Cool! Thanks!

I promise not to accidentally shoot one of my hunting partners in the face.:eek: :D

Kidding aside, I ran the 9800pro through its paces with some Delta Force: Black Hawk Down tonight, and was instantly reminded as to why I originally purchased this card. Outstanding performer for its time.:)

HAHAHAHA, thats a funny one there. To mista, yes I remember seeing a s754 club, search for it in the forums and you should find it. Search for like s754 club or s754 alliance, something like that.

Ive also made LOCOLAPTOP as a secretary defense, as hes my good online friend :) and in the same clan(ughq). Also he has several top notch pcie cards so that Is another reason too so he can easily attack the pcie club members(if there is one) if they are trying to attack us :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back