AGP issues with a MSI Neo2-P

IDversusEGO

Supreme [H]ardness
jsut picked up this mobo and I am having a little problem. I have plugged 2 different cards into the AGP port and neither are giving a video signal. I don't get any error beeps, just never get a signal. The video cards work in another PC and a PCI graphics card works in the MSI, just not the AGP. I am running through the manual, but wanted to see if anybody else had had this problem.

yes. the card cooling system fires up, I just get no video signal. also, the older TNT2 card I tried does't work either. nor external power connection there.

Have not experienced this with mine. Have you tried booting up with both the PCI and AGP card installed, installing Windows, and seeing if drivers install for both cards? Might be worthwhile to try some testing as a dual display rig.

tried it with AGP and PCI. still no video from either. I am beginnignt o think there is something up with this AGP slot.

biohazard_nz said:
Have you changed the settings in the BIOS to make AGP the default?

I wouldn't do that, it might not boot at all without resetting CMOS then. I kept mine set at PCI just in case I ever had a problem, and I've been using an AGP card all along.

AGP is the default already. I reset the bios to default settigns and removed all devices. then put the agp card in first, booting between each component. Now it works. I have never built a system that was like that. who cares now though.

lol. I have to say that this board will need to impress me in performance. I wasn't very happy with the beginning difficulties. So far, OS install and updates have gone OK. once I get the latest drivers on it, we will do some playing and see.

The Neo2 platinum is an awesome performer. Just depends on what you want and what other stuff you put with it. Only will be as good as the weakest link. Ive used just about ever 939 board out and it by far did the best job. But thats my experince.

Why didnt anyone tell him to:
Check the agp slot for debris (dust, potato chip pieces, corroded metal).

Check the connector on the card... check the vga connection to the card.

Make sure you can see all the pins inside the agp slot move towards the edge when you put the card in, it they aren't, it is not seated properly.

after discussing with a friend and showing him the fully constructed PC, he asked mhy I moved the sound card (from before when agp was nto working). I did it to hide some usb jumpers, but it could have possibly been the change. could also have been a bios setting, as I reset to defaults and started tweaking again.

as fo the debris, no way I am spending the $$ on the parts and then assembling them in a dirty setting. thanks though.

The motherboard owners manual also mentions a problem with the Nforce chipset that is caused when cards are inserted/removed. The fix he used is the one they recommend. When all else fails read the manual.....

ahhh...PC was booted, but sitting idle. switched over ont he KVM to shut it down and there was a blue screen warning me to check my video adapter. I am going to give this some extended testingthis weekend. If problem recurrs, I will pop the components backintot he freebie ECS I have and confirm it is not the memory or the video card.

Back