AGP R520; possible or not? Would you want such a product?

Should ATI bridge the R520 to an AGP platform?

• Yes

Votes: 56 64.4%
  • No

Votes: 31 35.6%

• Total voters

Stefan.C

n00b
I do not want to have to change my entire mobo just to run the latest high end video card.

They have bridge chips, should ATI bridge the R520?

Ati did say they were going to support AGP for a couple more Years I would hope this High End Card would make it.

ThomasE66 said:
They would be silly not to support AGP for at least another year.
I think ATI would be more than happy to sell bridged AGP versions for an extra $50 like with the x800 XL AGP. The x800 XL AGP's MSRP is $50 higher than PCI-E version, likewise for the vanilla x800 ($199 PCI-E vs $249 AGP).

How long both ATI and NVIDIA sell AGP cards in the future will depend on how many people buy it, not silliness. ;)

pxc said:
I think ATI would be more than happy to sell bridged AGP versions for an extra $50 like with the x800 XL AGP. The x800 XL AGP's MSRP is $50 higher than PCI-E version, likewise for the vanilla x800 ($199 PCI-E vs $249 AGP).

How long both ATI and NVIDIA sell AGP cards in the future will depend on how many people buy it, not silliness. ;)

That's why it would be silly to stop in the next year, because you *know* people will buy them ;)

It won't be long before you can only get the highest end cards in PCI-e only though. Then the midrange cards will be PCI-e only not long after that. Then all you'll be able to get is the very lowest end card in AGP. That's just how it progresses.

Mister E said:
This is already gonna happen. Lock thread. Thank you come again.
link... proof... direct quote saying it will happen and i will believe you and delete this thread.

pxc said:
There was an article on the Inq last year stating that Nvidia's bridge chip implementation adds something like 5 bucks manufacturing cost to a board. Don't see why ATI couldn't do about as well - even if they can only do half as well, that's still only 10 bucks.

I'm sure ATI would love to charge an extra 50 for them, but unless Nvidia does the same all that would do is price themselves out of competition

Yes they would, They would get alot more profets.

All in all, I cant wait for the R520 (or whatever ATI's next card is going to be)

Lazier_Said said:
There was an article on the Inq last year stating that Nvidia's bridge chip implementation adds something like 5 bucks manufacturing cost to a board. Don't see why ATI couldn't do about as well - even if they can only do half as well, that's still only 10 bucks.
It depends on the NVIDIA chip. For example, the NV45 has a bridge on the same package as the chip. That would be the cheapest way.

Cards with external bridge chips, like the 6200/6600/6600GT AGP, cost $15-$50 more on pricewatch than the native PCI-E counterparts. The newest cards have a $50 price difference (6600 non-GT) and the ones that have been around for longer are less ($15 difference for 6200, also because it's a dirt cheap card). A rough average for the 6600 AGP models is a $25 premium... and the cards are plentiful.

The $50 difference that ATI priced (MSRP) the x800 AGP and x800 XL AGP over the PCI-E versions is a little surprising because it's so high. I would have expected $30 maximum.

Stefan.C said:
link... proof... direct quote saying it will happen and i will believe you and delete this thread.

you dont know anything about business.

bobmanfoo said:
so i take it you KNOW a r520 is coming out?
actually refence samples are out of this card in the xbox2 dev kits lol said to be 3times as fast quoted from a lowlevel activision programmer

I thought Microsoft was an Nvidia Fan-boy?

Anyways, I believe that ATI is soon to wow us with something gret, if it's R520 or not, something good is coming...

I can't wait...

Pretty sure they will. They didn't develop Rialto only to use it on like 3 boards.

Ballz2TheWallz said:
actually refence samples are out of this card in the xbox2 dev kits lol said to be 3times as fast quoted from a lowlevel activision programmer
now why the hell would they put that much video processing power in a game console? HD gaming?

err.... So they can make Console games with better graphics? And yes the Xbox does support HDTV!

Why wouldnt they?

bobmanfoo said:
now why the hell would they put that much video processing power in a game console? HD gaming?
lol have you seen the oblivion screenshots or the nfs for the xbox2, but its suspected to more likely get the step down which is a r500...but still the dev kit has that much power

consoles can make use of more powerful hardware the same way PC's can.

imagine in 20 years when we have the X-Box 5 with carbon nanotubes and crap like that, able to handle 64xAA and 64xAF, with hardware ray-tracing to boot.

everything scales upwards :)

and yeah they are moving to hd gaming....i know im not the only one who heard something like i think it was 2007 all tv's being sold must be high definition :rolleyes: bah i like my old living room clunker from the 70-80s lol
yes all are ingame http://www.elderscrolls.com/art/obliv_screenshots_01.htm
obliv07B.jpg

The enviorments always look great in thos games, but as always the models don't have the same level of amazingness
obliv14B.jpg

Hate_Bot said:
The enviorments always look great in thos games, but as always the models don't have the same level of amazingness
obliv14B.jpg
give it a break this game will have some incredible AI simulateling real life schedules and goals theyed like to acheive, for 1000NPC's heres a quote i find funny
In fact, one of the interesting problems that the team has had to face came about precisely because the AI is so good. According to Howard, the AI has caused guards to decide to eat and go hunting deer, only to get themselves arrested for attacking something. When they fight back against the arresting guard, the other guards see a fight and try to join in. In not too much time, every guard in the town was involved in the scuffle, which left the rest of the town open to thievery by other NPCs, resulting in empty stores. Much of the team's current effort is going into putting sensible governors on the AI's behavior to avoid situations like empty stores that would result in situations that wouldn't be fun for the player.
more in this article http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/the-elder-scrolls-iv-oblivion/558955p4.html

characters have also greatly improved
obliv10B.jpg

Intersting thread.

I think "should" and "will" are two different things.

I really think they should. I can't imagine anyone saying they shouldn't. What would be the philosophy behind that? There is still an AGP install base which could be tapped with a bridge chip.

I also think they likely will. It may not coincide with the PCI-express launch, but I'm expecting to see it.

Dim-Ize

Ya, I dont understand the people who said "No". Why wouldnt you want it? I mean... that makes no sense... Even if you use PCI-E, you do realise that with more cards being sold=more profits=more cards (both CI-E and AGP) being made?

I voted no. I dont want AGP to drag out forever. I want NV and ATi to make only PCI-E cards.

Thats knid of stupid, does it really matter i AGP cards are being made? All it does is create more profit, which in turn creates the ability to make more cards.

Back