AHCI help

roz1281

Gawd
Hello. I have no clue if AHCI mode is properly working on my SSD. I don't even know why it's so confusing for me, it's the one thing that I haven't figured out.

My mobo is an old Gigabyte MA790GPT-UD3H. I have an intel SSD 530 series.

I enabled AHCI in the BIOS as instructed in the manual, then installed windows 7 fresh. I had a little icon appear in the taskbar that allows me to 'safely remove' the SSD, so I assumed it was set up correctly. But whenever I follow instructions online to check and see if it's using the correct AHCI driver (through device manager), I can't tell if it is. And I don't know why that icon would be there since I don't have it hooked up to any hot swap bays or extensions, it's plugged directly into SATA port 0 (and my old HDD is in SATA 1, DVD in SATA 2).

Now I'm on windows 10, and going to install that fresh since it's activated, and I want to ensure it's correct once and for all. How can I tell? using the program AS SSD, it says

INTEL SS
DC32
amdsata - OK
103424 K - OK
223.57 GB

I keep reading it should say "msahci" there.

Also, in device manager I read to check under >IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers and it should show msahci as the driver, instead I see amdsata.sys as the drive for "Amd SATA Controller".

So it appears win10 auto used AMD drivers, but do they support the TRIM command and are they correct?

check if TRIM is working.. Then AHCI is working. IDE does not have trim support and neither does raid.

fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify

It will give you one of two results, either a 0 or a 1. A zero indicates that TRIM is enabled correctly, a one means that it is not.

for some reason I thought they wouldn't if i plugged them directly into the mobo (since my case has hotswap bays with another connection in-between. Thanks :)

I don't understand why I am getting more stuttering in CSGO menu's, and random pauses when changing rooms in binding of isaac now that they're installed on SSD rather than my 10 year old 7200RPM HDDD, but that's probably another issue .

Back