Ahh... the power of x86-64

robberbaron

Supreme [H]ardness
I finally got my XP Pro x64 installed. I'm amazed at how fast this OS loads. The Windows loading screen lasts roughly one second. Even a fresh install of the 32bit XP pro took around 9 or 10 seconds to complete.
Here is some Cinebench goodness.
Cinebench 64bit:

Cinebench 32bit:

This is a 22% performance gain. I'm curious to see what others are getting here.

Interesting stuff. Find any 32 bit issues yet?

BillR said:
Interesting stuff. Find any 32 bit issues yet?

None. Though I havent gamed on it yet. 64bit nVidia drivers installed nicely though.

In fact, X64 is awesome in this regard. You know how, until you install the vid card drivers, 32bit xp has shitty colors and refresh rates? x64 automatically installs some basic drivers that allow for 85hz and 1280x1024 and 32bit color and whatnot. Very nice feature.

robberbaron said:
None. Though I havent gamed on it yet. 64bit nVidia drivers installed nicely though.

In fact, X64 is awesome in this regard. You know how, until you install the vid card drivers, 32bit xp has shitty colors and refresh rates? x64 automatically installs some basic drivers that allow for 85hz and 1280x1024 and 32bit color and whatnot. Very nice feature.
ooooweeee!!

Just ordered my AV8-3rd Eye and my Venice 3000+ on sunday!! Hopin they get here tomorrow, if not wednesday.

I cant WAIT to try XP x64.

i have a 2.2ghz, 1mb cache a64. running win x64, it flies, my farcry runs alot better. also im using firefox1.1 alpha1 (dear park alpha), and a rar replacement the called squeze , both in 64 bit versions. also prime 95 scores over 2 times better(64bitversion). no problems w/ 32 bit stuff, exept, the 64bit browsers dont work w/ flash, java ect. now im just waiting for other big games to use 64bit. its really been like a free upgrade for me.

x_dreamer said:
i have a 2.2ghz, 1mb cache a64. running win x64, it flies, my farcry runs alot better. also im using firefox1.1 alpha1 (dear park alpha), and a rar replacement the called squeze , both in 64 bit versions. also prime 95 scores over 2 times better(64bitversion). no problems w/ 32 bit stuff, exept, the 64bit browsers dont work w/ flash, java ect. now im just waiting for other big games to use 64bit. its really been like a free upgrade for me.

I, and I'm sure others, are interested in a source for early 64 bit benchmarks and software and such. Could you direct us in a general direction?

My understanding was the biggest issues to date were second party utilities, Norton etc. If that’s the only draw back at the moment then the new os is well worth considering.

Are you using a firewall or virus scan at the moment?

BillR said:
My understanding was the biggest issues to date were second party utilities, Norton etc. If that’s the only draw back at the moment then the new os is well worth considering.

My router has a hardware firewall. Virus scanning software will go on here soon.

Are there even 64 bit viruses? Or could a 32bit one run through the WOW64 wrapper?

ok, first, goto planetamd64.com. goto thier downloads section, and they got about all the released true 64 bit software. yes there is a 64 bit vires protection prog. they all sorts of nice 64 bit apps, i personaly like the beta firefox1.1. go take a look , though u gotta sign up, its quik. also thier forums have all kinds of useful info. go check it out, its where i found all my 64 bit apps. oh ya, i havnt had a single problem with any of my old 32 bit stuff. i can basicly use it like i did with regular xp. i suggest any1 who can run it, to do so.

im suprised to see u got to installing it so quik robb

dont think superpi is 64bit yet, so twill probably run the same as before. u could check if they made it 64bit though

looks nice baron, all the theoretical benches are showing good things :D
(though i guess cinebench is useful. haha)

AAaaaand heres some 2.7ghz 64bit action.
The cinebench score is "492"

I apologize for the lack of variety in benchmarks, but there just isn't much for 64 bit yet :(

sandras 64bit edition is out, but i think they change the points scale for 64bit cause i score just a tiny bit beter then reg. also passmarks performance test x86 64bit is out. did u goto that site? theres quite a bit of things there.

Well my 64 bit Windows XP Professional and Server 2003 will arrive on the 21st. Along with my Dual Opteron setup. I can't wait to try all that stuff out.

rolo said:
On my system (see sig), I believe I got 44 seconds on Cinebench ;)

44 seconds... with SMT or single core? I'm going to assume SMT. My 54 seconds is... not bad compared to your SMT goodness. ;)

Sir-Fragalot said:
Well my 64 bit Windows XP Professional and Server 2003 will arrive on the 21st. Along with my Dual Opteron setup. I can't wait to try all that stuff out.

Yeah, you'll like it. I'm thinking x64 is going to be my main OS now. Theres really nothing for me to do on 32 bit other than compare benchmarks, haha

robberbaron said:
44 seconds... with SMT or single core? I'm going to assume SMT. My 54 seconds is... not bad compared to your SMT goodness. ;)

Yeah, you'll like it. I'm thinking x64 is going to be my main OS now. Theres really nothing for me to do on 32 bit other than compare benchmarks, haha

heheh just think when the Dual core A64 are for sale :cool: i have already started saveing for a 4800+ X2

robberbaron said:

Well if Windows XP 64 bit Edition will allow me to run 32 bit apps then I'll definatley switch.

Sir-Fragalot said:
Well if Windows XP 64 bit Edition will allow me to run 32 bit apps then I'll definatley switch.
the awesomeness of x86-64.. you can do just that, though there are some cases where a program won't behave like it should... perhaps due to the drivers being different

so in XP-x64, can i just install a 32 bit program and it runs fine? or do i need to set emulation mode?

And what is this talk about 32bit mode on an A64? How does that work and what is it exactly? Is it a bios setting or a windows thing?

and finally, ive been reading a litle about 64 bit raid drivers...are these better than 32 bit raid drivers? do i need them to do raid with x64?

Tomorrow is the big switch!!!!!

you need 64bit drivers with 64bit windows
32bit drivers with 32bit windows

the cpu does everything automatically.

in a 32bit os, you can't run 64 bit programs, but in a 64 bit os, you can run 64 bit and 32bit

robberbaron said:
You know how, until you install the vid card drivers, 32bit xp has shitty colors and refresh rates? x64 automatically installs some basic drivers that allow for 85hz and 1280x1024 and 32bit color and whatnot. Very nice feature.

Not to thread crap, but this isn't always true. I had to unplug my DVI and plug in VGA to get windows to be visible. Also it was not in the displays native resolution and not in 32 bit color. I forget the res but it was 16 bit color. Dell 2005FPW + X850XTPE.

Avast! AV, and my router as firewall (although I might be using my Mobo network adapter as a firewall also.

I'll go through this thread more when I get home and list some of my experiences.

no u dont need 64 bit drivers and 32 bit drivers. just install ur 64bit drivers. the WOW takes care of everything else. u using x64 eclipse?

x_dreamer said:
no u dont need 64 bit drivers and 32 bit drivers.
what do you mean?

and i'm not using it yet.. i've had a beta version on my hard drive, but my cd burner wasn't working. i'll see what i can do, hopefully i can get it installed by tomorrow ;)

Ive got the 180 day eval version of the final thing (Build 1830 - my order from MS of the "retail" one has said "pending" for 5 weeks now!!)

Here is my screenshot of my OC'd Venice

prime952qk.jpg

ninethreeeleven said:
Not to thread crap, but this isn't always true. I had to unplug my DVI and plug in VGA to get windows to be visible. Also it was not in the displays native resolution and not in 32 bit color. I forget the res but it was 16 bit color. Dell 2005FPW + X850XTPE.

It's probably due to collaboration with the nVidia/AMD 64bit establishment then. Not my problem, haha.

There is no difference in stablity when OC'ing on 64bit that I've found though, even though the FPU is replaced with SSE registers.

dont mean to thread juack BUT...

i just put XP64 on my other drive and im getting RPC errors when some one on the net work trys to read my shared folders

Elios said:
dont mean to thread juack BUT...

i just put XP64 on my other drive and im getting RPC errors when some one on the net work trys to read my shared folders

Interesting that you point this out. I can view the administrator documents in the x64 partition from 32bit windows, but not vice versa, even though the same rights are enabled.

robberbaron said:
Interesting that you point this out. I can view the administrator documents in the x64 partition from 32bit windows, but not vice versa, even though the same rights are enabled.

i dont remember - are you using the final (build 1830) product? B/c I tried and I can acess both of my documents in 32 bit to 64 and vice versa.
I can also get to my shared documents on my desktop from my laptop (which has 32 and 64 bit versions installed , like my desktop)

Was a pain to get my NVIDIA NF3 chipset working though - I had to get the 6.56 drivers that arent even on NVIDIA's website - I had to get them from guru3d!
Oh well, it is muuuch faster! Just waiting for 64 bit folding with SSE3 and/or multithreaded when I get my X2 4400 :cool: !

Any word on whether running 64-bit hampers your OC ability? I've heard several people thinking that since 64-bit computing would stress parts of the CPU not normally used, your highest stable OC could go down compared to 32-bit environment. Has anyone experienced anything like this?

the@ntipop said:
Any word on whether running 64-bit hampers your OC ability? I've heard several people thinking that since 64-bit computing would stress parts of the CPU not normally used, your highest stable OC could go down compared to 32-bit environment. Has anyone experienced anything like this?

The OC in the screenshot above was my highest stable in 32 bit Windows - works like a charm in Win64 as well.

fuelvolts said:
i dont remember - are you using the final (build 1830) product? B/c I tried and I can acess both of my documents in 32 bit to 64 and vice versa.
I can also get to my shared documents on my desktop from my laptop (which has 32 and 64 bit versions installed , like my desktop)

Was a pain to get my NVIDIA NF3 chipset working though - I had to get the 6.56 drivers that arent even on NVIDIA's website - I had to get them from guru3d!
Oh well, it is muuuch faster! Just waiting for 64 bit folding with SSE3 and/or multithreaded when I get my X2 4400 :cool: !

I have whatever the latest retail-quality build is.

Interesting that you had to use 6.56. I run 6.25 and it works like a charm.

i was using 6.39 drivers - i wanted the 6.56 bc of really cool extras like a controllable firewall from the taskbar - not web page! It looks and acts like a software one (only better bc it is obviously hardware) - its really neat!

as we speak - i just installed my first update to Windows x64!

...windows installer update, but an update nonetheless!

fuelvolts said:
as we speak - i just installed my first update to Windows x64!

...windows installer update, but an update nonetheless!

Nice. As soon as I install Guild Wars on my x64 partition, I've a strange feeling that I'll abandon 32bit haha

Well I purchased a retail Windows XP Professional 64bit. I'll have that soon. I'd update my 3800+ to 64bit, but I think I'll wait until I've got the Opterons.

Sir-Fragalot said:
Well I purchased a retail Windows XP Professional 64bit. I'll have that soon. I'd update my 3800+ to 64bit, but I think I'll wait until I've got the Opterons.

Im going to the tech tour - i wish I had 500 bucks for opterons!

/saving up for some other hardware (engagement ring :cool: )

Back