Air cooled 36 cores / 72 HT

I cried a little when I saw this system...such a sweet ass system!

Man after my own heart. I built a baby cousin of this without the GPU horsepower not long ago strictly for VM purposes. Nice job.

Question, where'd you source those cool SATA plugs?

I think it was Alibaba and it really was a "slow boat from china" took 2 months to get them

Costs me about $19 with shipping for 12 cables, sata3 /6 with angled and latched heads.

They are actually high quality, so I took a hot razor blade and scalloped out a corner on the head so that the wire from the plug in front could fit between the two plugs behind each.

The link to alibaba does not work anymore. So I didn't paste it.

I bought them originally because I used to have two Titan Zs (quad Sli) and the length of the card rode up over the motherboard sata plugs, so I had to have them cut over instantly, hence the left angle latching heads ;)

now that I have 4 titan x sc cards, the length of the card is less of an issue

Hope that helps

Question, you're using the on-board RAID controller?

Did you use the built-in RAID? Or did you just set up the array in Windows?

Question, you're using the on-board RAID controller?

Did you use the built-in RAID? Or did you just set up the array in Windows?

I use the onboard array controller.

The same chipset on the board can use the LSI model or the Intel model.
The choice is selectable with a jumper on the board.

I get very fast speeds and sustained reads and writes.
The Asus Z10PE-D8 WS has a jumper for LSI raid or for INTEL raid. I benchmarked both and looked at their features. The LSI raid requires install drivers as well as the fact that it 1/2 the throughput of the INTEL raid. Also, the intel raid supports TRIM down to the individual sad drives but the LSI raid DOES NOT. So beware of that issue.

Forgive me for being out of the loop, is ARK supposed to be Arkum City or Asylum?
Ark: Survival Evolved.

And don't apologize. I had to reply to the other guy thread crapping. Your machine is godlike. Congrats on the post on front page of HardOCP.

They are actually high quality, so I took a hot razor blade and scalloped out a corner on the head so that the wire from the plug in front could fit between the two plugs behind each.
I was wondering how the hell you did that without putting to much stress on the plugs on the motherboard. Good tip!

Really sweet rig venturi. I remember you from 2cpu.com

Didn't see an sound card listed? You running onboard audio?

What modifications did you do to the Scythe ninja 3 was it did not fit issue? I went with Noctua heat sinks for my dual 2011 build.

The running joke with Ark Survival Evolved is it is a beta game that does not support SLI and runs bad on everything unless you turn the settings down a bit. It ran ok on my system at 1920x1200 once i turned the settings down a bit but I haven't played it in awhile.

Ark: Survival Evolved.

And don't apologize. I had to reply to the other guy thread crapping. Your machine is godlike. Congrats on the post on front page of HardOCP.

I was wondering how the hell you did that without putting to much stress on the plugs on the motherboard. Good tip!

Actually, THANK YOU

Could you please post a screenshot of the task manager? I want to see how it copes with 72 CPU graphs.

This is a screenshot of task manager when doing email and when surfing the HardOcp Forum;)
computer isn't showing much activity, cpus are calm and sleepy, things are calm

Here you go

Last edited:
Really sweet rig venturi. I remember you from 2cpu.com

Didn't see an sound card listed? You running onboard audio?

What modifications did you do to the Scythe ninja 3 was it did not fit issue? I went with Noctua heat sinks for my dual 2011 build.

The running joke with Ark Survival Evolved is it is a beta game that does not support SLI and runs bad on everything unless you turn the settings down a bit. It ran ok on my system at 1920x1200 once i turned the settings down a bit but I haven't played it in awhile.

I use the onboard sound, it does a very a nice job and has been fully compatible with everything I do.

How I modified the scythe heatsinks:

1.I lapped them to a perfectly flat finish.
2. I injected TIM into any and all crevices between heatpipes and fins.
3. I dismantled the heatsink base, filled every gap with TIM epoxy
4. Cleaned, re-assembled, installed.
5. Used Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, applied dead flat evenly and use cellophane to level it perfectly, removed cellophane. (Why? TIM is good, but any more TIM than a film layer will actually impede heat transfer)
6. Used a micro torque wrench to hand slightly tighten all 8 screws to the motherboard sockets to the exact same specification
7. Measure every screw head and distance so that every corner of the heastsink was exactly the same distance from neck of screw to socket lip.

At least, that's what I do for air cool heatsinks

Hope that helps

V

Last edited:
I use the onboard sound, it does a very a nice job and has been fully compatible with everything I do.

How I modified the scythe heatsinks:

1.I lapped them to a perfectly flat finish.
2. I injected TIM into any and all crevices between heatpipes and fins.
3. I dismantled thekeatsink base, filled every gap with TIM epoxy
4. Cleaned, re-assembled, installed.
5. Used Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, applied dead flat evenly and use cellophane to level it perfectly, removed cellophane. (Why? TIM is good, but any more TIM than a film layer will actually impede heat transfer)
6. Used a micro torque wrench to hand slightly tighten all 8 screws to the motherboard sockets to the exact same specification
7. Measure every screw head and distance so that every corner of the heastsink was exactly the same distance from neck of screw to socket lip.

At least, that's what I do for air cool heatsinks

Hope that helps

V

you are truly an enthusiast, such a great toy, for your love and dedication you truly deserve this machine, i have to kiss your ass man, you make us all proud.

Beastly! Great work and love the double wide server case, that's how I roll too. Towers are mostly for dick wangling, double wides are for practicality (IMO).

Also especially love seeing someone else modding Scythe Ninjas for another socket.
Still some of, if not the best noise/cooling ratio and or passive heatsinks ever made.
<3 my Rev1. Maybe you saw my mod thread on Scythe forums!

big or small, theres such an appeal on straight black boxes, simplicity at its finest, cute! :D

There's always that old saying about being the best: No matter how hard you try, how much you achieve, how great you become; There will always be at least one person who can do it better.

It goes the same with an enthusiast system: no matter how fast someone THINKS their PC is, there will always be a faster one.

This beast is proof of that. Fantastic build, my friend.

You should see to finding some ES CPUs with unlocked multis. I'd love to see what 36 cores can do at 4.0GHz.

Sir, this is the greatest aircooled rig I've ever seen someone build in the 16 year history of me being on the internet.

3dmark firestrike please?

Nuts. In a good and crazy-geek way.

Good because it looks spectacular. Crazy-geek because it's crazy to run 8 SSD RAID0 array no matter how reliable drives these Samsung Pros are.

Doom 4 is coming out, I hope Bethesda and Id don't muck it up. Been waiting a long time for it. Can't wait to play it on the rig

Doom 4..... (drooling)

By muck it up, let me clarify: making only available through steam. The game should be enjoyed natively without having to run a third party online app just to play it.

Post it on GOG.com, I'll be GLAD to pay FULL PRICE and some extra just not to have it through steam.

I'm hoping it scales, threads, SLI, and Physics to its fullest on the 72 core, quad slip rig.

I really enjoy Wolfenstein 2009, but there were several sections that were non sequitur, such as the multiplier component was on a completely separate build than the main game, poor performer.

....and don't get me started on their other offering: RAGE

[
Doom 4 is coming out, I hope Bethesda and Id don't muck it up. Been waiting a long time for it. Can't wait to play it on the rig

Doom 4..... (drooling)

By muck it up, let me clarify: making only available through steam. The game should be enjoyed natively without having to run a third party online app just to play it.

Post it on GOG.com, I'll be GLAD to pay FULL PRICE and some extra just not to have it through steam.

I'm hoping it scales, threads, SLI, and Physics to its fullest on the 72 core, quad slip rig.

I really enjoy Wolfenstein 2009, but there were several sections that were non sequitur, such as the multiplier component was on a completely separate build than the main game, poor performer.

....and don't get me started on their other offering: RAGE

The guy who has enough power to solve cold-fusion and render human conciousness is complaining about a 20 meg runtime?

But seriously, I know a LOT of people don't like Steam, and to each their own: I've never had a problem with it, I run Uplay, Origin, Steam, none of which really slow me down and I have HALF the system you do... ON ADSL2+!

I guess it's the principal of the thing: Back in the day, software was an .exe that you clicked on, and it ran. Even consoles were simple: put in the cartridge and turn on the hardware, boom: a game. But nowadays everything is run through a backend/frontend: Consoles have OS and API layers, and PCs have DRM clients, yeah: I also have fond memories of 'the good 'ol days' but don't let such a small issue ruin potentially awesome experiences! Steam has made MY life easier, try to see the good in it!

ill-be-in-my-bunk_thumb2_zps6377dadf.jpg~original

Everything past the first 8 cores / 16 threads will probably never be used by games unfortunately, while the 4-core i7 Skylake, even at 4.5 GHz, with the same amount of Titans would probably beat this setup in most games out today. Still, very impressive. If only there were developers out there writing games in such a way so as to take advantage of all of those cores....

Everything past the first 8 cores / 16 threads will probably never be used by games unfortunately, while the 4-core i7 Skylake, even at 4.5 GHz, with the same amount of Titans would probably beat this setup in most games out today. Still, very impressive. If only there were developers out there writing games in such a way so as to take advantage of all of those cores....

And they'd all be the current Batman boondoggle.

Do you really want some asshat game developer telling you:

"We gave our developers Quad-titan machines with 128GB of RAM and RAID-0 SSDs. So this will be our minimum spec."

And they'd all be the current Batman boondoggle.

Do you really want some asshat game developer telling you:

"We gave our developers Quad-titan machines with 128GB of RAM and RAID-0 SSDs. So this will be our minimum spec."

brb, asking work to pay for a system to those specifications.
I mean, I *need* quad titans in order to fill out tickets and send emails.

You realize OP has mentioned several times this machine is not solely for gaming right?
This is a workstation. It earns the OP money. Not only that, its probably near the highest tier of stand alone workstations as far as sheer hardware is concerned.

To have a machine like this focus solely on gaming would be a waste of its potential.

Awesome rig!

A few questions:

Is this beast kept under your desk, or tucked away in a closet somewhere? I'm wondering what the noise profile/volume is on this thing. I like that oversized case and am considering using it for my own build, but keeping noise down is of utmost importance to me, as I want to build a silent or near silent rig. What are your thoughts regarding noise (hums, whines, etc.) and volume of this monster you've created? :)

Awesome rig!

A few questions:

Is this beast kept under your desk, or tucked away in a closet somewhere? I'm wondering what the noise profile/volume is on this thing. I like that oversized case and am considering using it for my own build, but keeping noise down is of utmost importance to me, as I want to build a silent or near silent rig. What are your thoughts regarding noise (hums, whines, etc.) and volume of this monster you've created? :)

The PC is to the right of my desk, it has no sound signature in the room. If you play a full blown quad SLI game, the 4 nvidia titan x do have a low audible whine as the fans spin to meet temps.

At idle, you would be hard pressed to locate it in the room if you were blindfolded.

Things that help:
I have 9 fans, ALL controlled by motherboard and tied to temps.
My temps are very low in a 75'F room
at idle, 72 threads/36 cores average 81F
the built in power supply fan has only come on once since I've built it

So, it is officially the quietest pc I've ever owned. The only thing quieter is my laptop at idle

On FANS:
The Noctua are good fans, but for the money I'm more impressed with the 120mm PWM Roswill Hyperborea. AT idle the PC fans usually spin at around 480-520rpm. At that speed the Hyperborea are quieter than the Noctua and move more air, cooling the PC further. I have them from before, switched to the 9 notch hoping for better, anyhow, I'll be changing back to the hyperborean, which will yield a 1Fto 2 F drop in temps

Incidentally the Roswill huperborea are rebranded Apache for about 50% the price.

Last edited:
Updated the unit to a samsung 950pro for the c OS drive,
Running on NVMe and a decent speed increase so far.

Motherboard knew exactly how to handle NVMe drive

Rumors were out that these drives run hot. I've not seen it

Heat insurance

Temps run at 104F under load with heatsinks
Temps run at 122F under load without heatsinks

Temps are uniform on 950pro 109F when all 4 video cards (4x Titan X SC) are cranking for 30+ minutes

No heat issues so far

My prior über workstation was the Z9PED8 WS and unfortunately it can't do NVMe or m.2 with 4x lanes,

for compatibility and speed the xp941 is very fast and as is the sm951.

in order of speed (high to higher) it's xp941, sm951 ahci, sm951 nvme, 950pro nvme.

in order of heat generated (warm to warmer) it's xp941, 950pro nvme, sm951 name, sm951 ahci

I describe the heat from the drives as warm. Under load all chips are less than 49c on all models.
Having 4 titan x sc right above them may increase the environment heat, but its still with normal parameters.

If you look closely at the picture you'll see that I have heatsinks on many motherboard components as well.

There was a company this summer that did a review of the z10 and took a thermal image of the board, so when I saw the review I used the picture as guide to get rid of hot spots

in addition the 950pro only has chips on the top surface which aids in cooling and allows for all those little aluminum heatsinks.

The hottest thing on the whole board now is the chipset controller the c612, and that runs about 104F to about 109F and that sits directly under 2.5 out of 4 video cards.

I can't imagine the drives on motherboard being a heat issue, maybe, but I don't know it might be a heat issue in a tight enclosed environment like a surface or tablet laptop

All temps are so farrrr below spec I'm not concerned

Anyhow, hope that helps all those contemplating nvme drives

Last edited:
Thanks for answering my questions. Where did you order those heatsinks from, assuming those aren't OEM parts that came with it?

Thanks for answering my questions. Where did you order those heatsinks from, assuming those aren't OEM parts that came with it?

Amazon,
search "cosmos mini Aluminum Chips", a pack of 20 is $6.97, delivered

Last edited:
just thought I'd share the new IO speed after firmware update:

write speed 32.3 Gb/s
read speed 8.2 Gb/s

Is that sustained?!? Or are you running a ramdisk of some sort? o_O

Sustained sir, :)

no ramdisk

example, that screen shot was a solid physical full backup. In that particular case I was using "Macrium Reflect 6 Server" to make a full system backup.

My full backups and or the occasional restores are usually less then 2-3 min.

Back