Air cooling FX55 - Temps Okay?

starfury6

Limp Gawd
My current system is my first A64 system and I understand that the FX55's run far hotter than the Athlon XP chips I'm used to. My current system with CnQ disabled runs at 40C idle and 55C load (after about an hour of gaming and 22.5C room temp). There are 2 6800U's in the box too so they obviously give off a lot. I have AS5 which still hasn't passed the 200 hour 'bed in' time, but do the temps sound okay? Not used to a processor running this warm...

At Idle with Cool N Quiet enabled the temp goes down to 31C.

I currently have a Lian-Li PC60 (2x80mm inlet, 2x80mm exhaust), stock cooling on the Ultras, and a TR XP120 HS with a YS-Tech 120mm 125CFm fan.

To start with I thought there was too much AS5 on there as I was getting temps in the 60's so I reinstalled it with far less on there and the temps went through the roof (the PC shut down at 75C!) I was using an Asaka 120mm Ultra quiet at the time too, which obviously wasn't enough. I then removed it again and redid the AS5 and upped the fan to the 125cfm YS-Tech jobbie and I got temps where I am now.

I'm wondering if the performance might be increased if I have the fan set to suck rather than blow. Since there is an exhaust fan mounted directly above it, AND Thermalright state that the XP120 can be used in either configuration....

We have the same setups, or damn near close. My FX55 @ 2.87 GHz (13.5x 21?) with my XP120, and using a sunon fan, only got to 32idle, and 43loaded. I think you are close to being perfect. I went from a P4 3.94GHz OC that idled @ 27c, and when loaded up got to MAYBE 36c, to this FX55 chip that burns to the touch. However, the fx55 consumes 105w @ stock, where as the P4 I think take 80W (or something close)

Good luck

My Bios reads my CPU at 39c with CnQ disabled.. Retail cooler with AS5 :p

newls1 said:
We have the same setups, or damn near close. My FX55 @ 2.87 GHz (13.5x 21?) with my XP120, and using a sunon fan, only got to 32idle, and 43loaded. I think you are close to being perfect. I went from a P4 3.94GHz OC that idled @ 27c, and when loaded up got to MAYBE 36c, to this FX55 chip that burns to the touch. However, the fx55 consumes 105w @ stock, where as the P4 I think take 80W (or something close)

Good luck
Nice set up there :D

43 under load!? Yikes mine is a lot hotter...

Think I will try reversing the fan, just to see what the results are. I've lowered the SATA drive to the bottom of the case so the cool air comes in more freely but it hasn't made much difference.

Ho hum

Back