Air in loop question.

S-B

[H]ard|Gawd
I was wondering, how long should I leave my system to drain the air out? It's only a 120mm rad (though with 2x120mm fans in a push/pull config), and I'm only cooling the CPU right now. I've popped the top on my reservoir to do this, and the opening is above my CPU block and tubing -- is that the correct way to do it?

Also, when it's finished doing that, will I see any noticeable improvement in cooling performance?

I've got to head over to the hardware store to get some thicker and longer screws. My block is not getting NEARLY enough contact (it was at 90 °C idle until I tightened it a bit, now it's idling at 41 °C edit: 40, 44, yeah, 41 is about right).

Edit: Also, it feels kind of like there's no flow. None of my water cooling parts are transparent, so the only way to check the flow is through the small 1" hole of my reservoir. The coolant barely seems to be moving.

Edit 2: For reference, ambient temp seems to be 26 °C, though my case's temp is 41 °C with the side panels OFF! Imagine how hot this thing will get when I close the doors.
Temperatures
Motherboard 41 °C (106 °F)
CPU 41 °C (106 °F)
CPU #1 / Core #1 40 °C (104 °F)
CPU #1 / Core #2 40 °C (104 °F)
MCP 54 °C (129 °F)
GPU 56 °C (133 °F)
GPU Diode 63 °C (145 °F)
GPU Memory 56 °C (133 °F)
GPU Ambient 52 °C (126 °F)

I hate double posting, but I edited that last one too many times.

Swapped one of the rad fans for one with more static pressure and CFM. Went to the hardware store JUST before it closed, so I grabbed the best match screw I could find -- it was just a hair too thick. I'll have to head back tomorrow. Picked up some strong double-sided tape, put another 120mm fan on the other side of my HDD cage. (This is a Rocketfish case, so you know what I'm talking about). Huge drop in temps for the motherboard and HDDs, the hottest one is down 7 °C! Dropped the pump to 7V, it was loud.

Temperatures
Motherboard 37 °C (99 °F)
CPU 45 °C (113 °F)
CPU #1 / Core #1 41 °C (106 °F)
CPU #1 / Core #2 40 °C (104 °F)
MCP 49 °C (120 °F)
GPU 48 °C (118 °F)
GPU Diode 56 °C (133 °F)
GPU Memory 48 °C (118 °F)
GPU Ambient 45 °C (113 °F)

Maybe I should have put more Arctic Ceramique. I'm so used to the testicle-crushingly tight fit of my Scythe Ninja A that I would put very little AS5.

Back