Air New Zealand Goes High Tech

HardOCP News

[H] News
Air New Zealand has stepped things up a notch with beds, power sockets and iPod connectors on its Boeing 777s. Now that is flying in comfort! Thanks to Edward Cabarles for the linkage.

It's not just for the suit-clad first class and business class passengers either. 11 Skycouches that turn into flat beds for two will make those weeks in the air fly past quickly, with the other seats providing extra leg room and comfort. But that's not the best bit—the power sockets, iPod connectors and USB ports on each seat will blow people's minds.

When exactly did a 3.5mm stereo connector become an "iPod connector" :roll:

And yes I'm just being cranky and rhetorical.

iPod is "way hipper" than just a "generic 3.5mm jack you can plug and mp3 player into"

im a kiwi :)

I don't see why people consider ipod docs as "High" tech, there are toilet paper holders that have ipod docs

Apparently this is why Air New Zealand got airline of the year. And it seems pretty cool, but what about the extra passenger? Where will they sit?

You have to buy 2 1/2 seats to get the bed. NO Thanks ! From Arizona to NZ its 1800 round trip for one.

So your discomfort is worth 1800 dolalrs? hmmmm. And I guess these "Ipod jacks" won't accept any other Mp3 player :D

They still need to include wifi. Also, cant you have 2 people in that bed? that cuts the cost down to $900, no?

I'm actually going to fly Air New Zealand this May so this will be pretty cool. For some of you that haven't gone on a lot of airlines, this is actually making some significant strides.

They are actually having a sale for $900 round trip to NZ from San Fran or LA. Not only this, but it is definitely not a 56 hour flight -- you guys really need to start understanding your time zones a little bit better. The flight takes 13 hrs and 15 mins from San Francisco, which is about normal for flying to the pacific. I went to South Korea from Atlanta and that was a 15 hour flight. Now THAT was fun. Although Korean Air is a great airline as well, even if it is with the "Sky Team" alliance.

So chairs that recline all the way, a power outlet and a 3.5mm jack.....

How in the hell is that high tech?

I don't know how anyone else spells "comfort", but to me it's not a bed that looks to be less than 5 feet long.

Back