Airport wont automatically connect anymore

Kaos

[H]ard|Gawd
Having a weird issue with my fiances ibook wherre it wont autoconnect when she brings it out of sleep. Tried all available software updates, reinstalling the card...gonna try resetting the wireless ap next...any other suggestions?

other than making sure it's got enough signal to work and making sure the network is "preferred", take it to an apple store (if there's one near you)

Trash the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ folder, restart and then setup a new network location and under network port configurations, select only airport and drag it to the top of the list. Apply now

Then select the network from the wireless menu and set it under the airport tab as a prefered network.

Now see if it still does it.

If it does, try resetting the PMU and the PRAM .

Not sure if your using Tiger, but there is an option in the system preferences>network when you click configure to automatically connect to preferred networks.. make sure your wireless network is in there, then click options and there's a drop down box at the top.... set that to "keep looking for recent networks". Also, regardless of OS if you haven't, run software update and then open up your airport admin utility and see if it pushes new software to your base station... there have been numerous updates recently to the airport software.

Kueller said:
What are you talking about? How is resetting the pram going to solve a wireless networking problem?
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86194
The list there is only some of the items the PRAM has stored and this isn't a networking issue since he can connect fine, it just doesn't automatically connect after sleeping. Since the PRAM stores some device information, I've actually had resetting the PRAM fix this issue.

Most likely recreating the SystemConfiguration folder will fix this issue and if not, resetting the PMU will since it contols the power and sleeping and what not. It was just a last resort kind of suggestion just incase.

Besides, sometimes changing setting in OS X that have nothing to do with the issue can fix it. Take one of the fixes for software update quitting. Even if you are using airport or a modem to download updates via software update, checking the built in ethernet box can fix the issue of it quitting,

I agree the PMU could fix it since it seems to be a sleep related issue.

Resetting the PRAM is just grasping at straws imho.

remove and readd the wireless network as a preferred network under the network settings.

sieb said:
remove and readd the wireless network as a preferred network under the network settings.

That was the first thing I tried. Still didnt work.

Back