AIW Radeon - heatsink replacement

teststrips

Limp Gawd
I just put together a htpc with some older parts that I had on the shelf. The video card I'm using is the All-In-wonder radeon 32meg. It was the original radeon chip (which I think was renamed the 7000????).. the card only sais all in wonder radeon 32m

The fan on this thing is actually the loudest fan in my HTPC setup, and I wanted to quiet it, so I'm here for help/suggestions.

The heatsink appears to be glued to the GPU, and there are no mounting holes for a regular replacement vga cooler. Do you think I'd have luck with removing the original cooler without damage? Is there a fanless heatsink for this older card, even without mounting holes?

edit: I guess it would depend on if the old heatsink is safe to remove or not, but I just found a bunch of 486 and pentium coolers that I could probably use for this card. I have a bunch of regular artic silver 5, but none of the adhesive stuff... should i just buy thermal adhesive to attach, or could I add something to my AS5 to make it adhesive.

Depends if they used tape or epoxy. If tape, usually you can warm the heatsink up (hair-dryer or similar) and work it off...if epoxy, you can freeze it (using air-tight bag) and then knock it off. You can probably get it off with some work. Installing another heatsink on there is just a matter of using Arctic Silver adhesive, it should work fine in most cases, just make sure there isn't a huge gap between the heatsink and the core. If you want to use only AS5, one solution is to super-glue the corners and have AS5 in the middle but of course this isn't ideal.

Back