Alan Wake 2

The game is indeed boring af. I was wowed initially and all but man, it has some of the worst dialog ever. I swear if one more time I hear, writer, dark presence, scratch, Alice getting fucked by scratch or some other nonsensical bullshit I ma gonna go postal.

Just so bad. I will finish it because I bought into the hype and paid full price but next time avoiding this shit.

The game is indeed boring af. I was wowed initially and all but man, it has some of the worst dialog ever. I swear if one more time I hear, writer, dark presence, scratch, Alice getting fucked by scratch or some other nonsensical bullshit I ma gonna go postal.

Just so bad. I will finish it because I bought into the hype and paid full price but next time avoiding this shit.
I couldn't agree more. The first couple hours had me hooked. Amazing graphics, slow buildup... The first couple jump scares, the buildup to the first boss fight, and the first Alan Wake level all had my skin crawling.

But it didn't take long for things to end up off in the weeds. I'm more annoyed than frightened by anything that happens now. And the "gameplay" portions of this game are absolutely abysmal. Typically in games I think "oh god, another friggin cutscene!" But in AW2 I think "oh god, I have to play the friggin game again!"

It looks like a movie-like tech demo from everything I've seen. I'm glad I skipped it. It looks nice visually though, and I can understand why some enjoy it.

To be honest, the only new/upcoming games that I find interesting right now are Super Mario Bros. Wonder and Tomb Raider I-III Remastered lol. I have a better time watching films and discovering new ones to watch than grinding the same old grind in a video game these days -- with the exception of playing a classic video game once in a while that any potato PC can play. Gaming still has some nostalgia value to me, and watching content creators min-max and speedrun certain games is intriguing sometimes.

But what the heck, enjoy Alan Wake II if you own it...it does look beautiful.

I like how Alan Wake was missing for 13 years the same amount of time people waited for a sequel.

It looks like a movie-like tech demo from everything I've seen. I'm glad I skipped it. It looks nice visually though, and I can understand why some enjoy it.

To be honest, the only new/upcoming games that I find interesting right now are Super Mario Bros. Wonder and Tomb Raider I-III Remastered lol. I have a better time watching films and discovering new ones to watch than grinding the same old grind in a video game these days -- with the exception of playing a classic video game once in a while that any potato PC can play. Gaming still has some nostalgia value to me, and watching content creators min-max and speedrun certain games is intriguing sometimes.

But what the heck, enjoy Alan Wake II if you own it...it does look beautiful.
This game is a masterpiece I like it more than any Resident Evil game I played.

Save finally.jpg

Remedy just wants people to play their game rather than save it for later.

What is not boring?
Diablo 4? Finished the campaign and got bored shortly after that. You are suppose to play this game forever.
Cyberpunk? Cool game. Checked out, played a bit, but damn, the dialog is just crazy long and boring. You need an insane amount of time to progress in the game.
Counter Strike 2? Tried, but looks like my counter strike time is long gone..
AW2 is surprisingly easy to play. Sometimes I get bored with it doing missions, but I get back to it because its a damn decent story. I haven't played anything like this in years.

This game is a masterpiece I like it more than any Resident Evil game I played.
I'm not a RE fan, so we may just have different tastes. I'm glad you are having a great time with it though. Maybe I will give it a purchase if I keep hearing positive things about it.

The game looks phenomenal. Probably the closest thing to a movie game that I can recall, and it's definitely more of a traditional game than those Quantic Dream titles. The open world nature of Bright Falls and whanot might be what was originally intended for the original Alan Wake. Thing is, I'm not really digging the gameplay. I'm not even sure what I don't like about it, but I kinda wish it WAS more of a Quantic Dream game instead of a story game with bad shooting. The story is...interesting. I really liked it at first as a whodunnit. Then everything kinda devolved into "strange shit is just going to happen for reasons," which I guess I should have expected. Hunting a death cult was way cooler, though. I was hoping for Condemned and ended up with something else.

The game looks phenomenal. Probably the closest thing to a movie game that I can recall, and it's definitely more of a traditional game than those Quantic Dream titles. The open world nature of Bright Falls and whanot might be what was originally intended for the original Alan Wake. Thing is, I'm not really digging the gameplay. I'm not even sure what I don't like about it, but I kinda wish it WAS more of a Quantic Dream game instead of a story game with bad shooting. The story is...interesting. I really liked it at first as a whodunnit. Then everything kinda devolved into "strange shit is just going to happen for reasons," which I guess I should have expected. Hunting a death cult was way cooler, though. I was hoping for Condemned and ended up with something else.
It gets explained I gather towards the end. I haven't played though, I'm too much of a scaredy cat :p. Zing! (tie in to my username).

Thing is, I'm not really digging the gameplay. I'm not even sure what I don't like about it, but I kinda wish it WAS more of a Quantic Dream game instead of a story game with bad shooting. The story is...interesting. I really liked it at first as a whodunnit. Then everything kinda devolved into "strange shit is just going to happen for reasons," which I guess I should have expected. Hunting a death cult was way cooler, though. I was hoping for Condemned and ended up with something else.
The heavy story elements are what keep me from being more interested in it. I think I would get frustrated having to slug through all that. I enjoy games more when the gameplay and atmosphere tell the story and you aren't interrupted so much. But for someone who enjoys all the storytelling it's probably a fantastic time.

But for someone who enjoys all the storytelling it's probably a fantastic time.
It's far from fantastic, because every now and then they force you to "play" the game. And the actual "gameplay" is horrible.
I have no idea how they possibly could have play tested this game and went "yep, this is fine, lets ship it".

It's far from fantastic, because every now and then they force you to "play" the game. And the actual "gameplay" is horrible.
I have no idea how they possibly could have play tested this game and went "yep, this is fine, lets ship it".
Are you new to modern gaming? Incomplete and broken games are shipped all the time.. PEOPLE still buy this garbage. I'm also on your side btw about AW2.. I think its crap gameplay..

Reactions: t1k
like this
Storyline fantastic? How many times can you hear "writer was writing", "Dark Presence", "Scratch my balls"? Storyline and writing is terrible in this one compared to the first one. Also the fact that Saga can fart something in her mind and get more info out of nowhere is also terrible story telling. Like how she figures out Alan was hiding pages out of nowhere or how Nightingale was from the dark place. :rolleyes:

Are you new to modern gaming? Incomplete and broken games are shipped all the time.. PEOPLE still buy this garbage. I'm also on your side btw about AW2.. I think its crap gameplay..
No, I'm not new to "modern gaming". Not sure what you're getting at here. This game is complete, and nothing is broken about it. In fact, it's technically better than most AAA titles released this year. Looks great, runs great (considering the graphical fidelity), no game breaking bugs, etc...
It just has really crappy gameplay.

the complaints are valid but also don't make a whole lot of sense...haven't those people played the first Alan Wake?...what were they expecting?...a Cyberpunk shoot em up or combat heavy game?...this is a story driven game...a character driven game...Bioshock is one of the best examples of story driven gameplay

you need to set your expectations accordingly and have some idea about the game you're about to play...going into Alan Wake 2 and expecting it to be non stop action and combat is not realistic

the complaints are valid but also don't make a whole lot of sense...haven't those people played the first Alan Wake?...what were they expecting?...a Cyberpunk shoot em up or combat heavy game?...this is a story driven game...a character driven game...Bioshock is one of the best examples of story driven gameplay

you need to set your expectations accordingly and have some idea about the game you're about to play...going into Alan Wake 2 and expecting it to be non stop action and combat is not realistic
This is really important. This is a great game for those who knew what they were buying I think.

I didn't play the original Alan Wake. And if I'm not super excited watching a trailer for a new game, I assume I probably won't enjoy it. It doesn't mean it is objectively bad, just not for me. Usually you can judge the book by its cover pretty accurately when it comes to modern game releases. I try to have a glass half full attitude when it comes to new games and moderate my expectations and also recognize that what may not appeal to me may appeal to others.

Some complaints and criticisms of modern games in general are valid I think. Unfortunately, with the high expectations there now are for production values for modern games, the "big picture", core gameplay oftentimes seems to end up feeling lackluster. Somewhere in the chaos of the development process the fun factor is just lost and games end up something less than the sum of their parts.

I've gained a little more respect for Nintendo recently since they seem more focused on game design and loving/expanding their IPs then taking advantage of the latest and greatest hardware tech. They're more about fun than chasing cutting edge visuals. Hopefully other big developers will start to take a hint from the success of games like Super Mario Bros. Wonder.

Storyline fantastic? How many times can you hear "writer was writing", "Dark Presence", "Scratch my balls"? Storyline and writing is terrible in this one compared to the first one. Also the fact that Saga can fart something in her mind and get more info out of nowhere is also terrible story telling. Like how she figures out Alan was hiding pages out of nowhere or how Nightingale was from the dark place. :rolleyes:
The writing is exactly what I was expecting. For that alone I perceive excellence. However I'm not really having fun playing it. It's far more intriguing to me than fun.

Saga's leaps of logic notwithstanding, I really don't know why Mr. Scratch, or the Dark Presence stick out to any more than say Sarumon and Sauron or whatever.

Reminder that Sweet Baby Inc was involved.

https://sweetbabyinc.com/

1699273895170.png

1699273777613.png

1699273845231.png

The first one had tons of combat. In fact most remedy games have had tons of combat. The DLC of Alan Wake went even farther and added tons more combat while still having a narrative.
This one the narrative itself is garbage and gameplay is a joke. I have played every single remedy game including the abomination Quantum Break which I still would rate over Alan Wake 2.

The first one had tons of combat. In fact most remedy games have had tons of combat. The DLC of Alan Wake went even farther and added tons more combat while still having a narrative.
This one the narrative itself is garbage and gameplay is a joke. I have played every single remedy game including the abomination Quantum Break which I still would rate over Alan Wake 2.
I just don't agree. I do wish this game had more combat, but I still feel it's an outstanding game. On the hard difficulty the combat/item drops are perfect challenge for me. It's absolutely a better game than the first Alan Wake. I personally like it more than Control. However, I do agree there is a lot of narrative and if you just want action it's going to bore you. The throw-backs to all the prior Remedy games is hugely entertaining for me.

All of that being said - I really can't wait for the Max Payne remake assuming they execute it correctly.

I just got to Watery and had to stop just as I was about to be reintroduced to the Anderson brothers. Up until a few minutes ago I'd never even heard of sweet baby whatever. I'm not all that bothered by their mission statement.
I suppose that I would be butt hurt if there was a writing consultation group that specialized in the exact opposite ideals in order to offend and disturb people, so I think that I get why people are so sensitive to sensitivity writing.
But that is beside the fact that Alan Wake plays in a Surrealistic or Absurdist mode just as much as it purports to be horror.

I found the original AW's gameplay to be mostly fine but repetitious. It never really advanced from the beginning all the way to the end. Basically it got really old. With AW2, they tried to keep the same sort of concept (flashlight + shooting), but it comes off as poor man's Resident Evil. It's way more interactive, but to a fault. Maybe it's intentional (authors and FBI agents aren't typically having shootouts), but I just feel clumsy all of the time. After every encounter I find myself saying/thinking "that didn't go very well."

Still, I don't think the game is bad or anything. That's just one element I'm not digging. There are plenty of positives, too. Technically, I think the game is pretty phenomenal.

Only maybe 5 hours or so into the story, but I do enjoy the non-combat parts more than the combat parts. So far the game is decent, but not amazing. The flashlight mechanic is rather tedious and feels like you always have to conserve batteries. Would have worked better with a "recharging" flashlight IMO as combat feels mostly about conserving battery and shooting feels clumsy. Some of the levels really makes me want a remake of the original Max Payne, which is by far the best game remedy ever made IMO.

I've kinda grown to hate the flashlight. The game gives you like 500 health packs and at least a decent amount of ammo, but rarely any batteries. I mostly just plow through shadows while dodging like mad just so I don't have to waste 'em. There doesn't seem to be much point to killing anything you aren't forced to fight.

Only maybe 5 hours or so into the story, but I do enjoy the non-combat parts more than the combat parts. So far the game is decent, but not amazing. The flashlight mechanic is rather tedious and feels like you always have to conserve batteries. Would have worked better with a "recharging" flashlight IMO as combat feels mostly about conserving battery and shooting feels clumsy. Some of the levels really makes me want a remake of the original Max Payne, which is by far the best game remedy ever made IMO.
Either I'm going insane, or the original Alan Wake had a recharging flashlight. Like it would recharge out of combat, so you rarely had to use batteries.

Fun little (likely) bug I've noticed in AW2 - loading a save game fully recharges your flashlight. I've accidentally hit "Q" a few times and went "AWW CRAP, WASTED A BATTERY, MUST LOAD SAVED GAME" only to load my saved game and have a full charge.

Either I'm going insane, or the original Alan Wake had a recharging flashlight. Like it would recharge out of combat, so you rarely had to use batteries.

Fun little (likely) bug I've noticed in AW2 - loading a save game fully recharges your flashlight. I've accidentally hit "Q" a few times and went "AWW CRAP, WASTED A BATTERY, MUST LOAD SAVED GAME" only to load my saved game and have a full charge.
You are not going insane, the OG AW flashlight did recharge, but it was horrendously slow, so it was faster and safer just to use another battery instead of waiting for it to recharge 90% of the time.

Damn, this game runs SO bad with any sort of RT on. I don't even really think it makes the graphics that much better than they already are to justify like a 80% performance loss.

Reactions: noko
like this
So… most folks seem to think the combat is too… easy?

I just spent 30 minutes trying to beat the first boss. I had to bump the difficulty down from Normal to Story in order to prevent myself from having a heart attack.

Back