Alienware m11x From CES

I will never, ever, understand people wanting to play higher end pc games like shooters on such a tiny screen. Ever.

Wanting more power, fair enough, but lets say such a device could play games as well as the highest end desktop, but was restricted to that screen. Who would actually enjoy that over a slightly larger form factor notebook?

I truly hope I never get to the point where my physique is so crippled and gangly that I think anything bigger than a netbook would be just too much to bare.

But I guess screen size is absolutely meaningless to some people.

This is actually perfect for someone like me. I like mobility AND power balanced together for the best of both worlds. It isn't so much that weight is the issue, but rather form factor. Hauling around a 17-18 inch notebook and using it anywhere except a hotel is going to be cumbersome. You're going to need a bigger laptop bag et.c. and it isn't going to fit on tray tables or as easily in the cafe. However, I also hate "more form than function" notebooks like the MacBook Air or the vast majority of netbooks, where it is so slow and underpowered I can't rely on it for a week's trip (including some current gen gaming at native resolution, admittedly not on the settings I use at home on my sig rig) or to lend off to my girlfriend so we can both play online games when we're together.

I'm glad that someone is taking the time to make something portable AND powerful. My search continues....

Edit: This also gives me license to verbally berate any company that does not include backlit keyboards on their mid-to-high end Laptops. If Alienware/Dell can do it on an 11" model, including multiple colors for fuck's sake, then there is no bloody reason why anyone else needs to omit it.

Last edited:
I will never, ever, understand people wanting to play higher end pc games like shooters on such a tiny screen. Ever.

Wanting more power, fair enough, but lets say such a device could play games as well as the highest end desktop, but was restricted to that screen. Who would actually enjoy that over a slightly larger form factor notebook?

I truly hope I never get to the point where my physique is so crippled and gangly that I think anything bigger than a netbook would be just too much to bare.

But I guess screen size is absolutely meaningless to some people.

You are aware that you can plug it in to a TV or a larger monitor when you are at home via HDMI, right?

People find it interesting, because it takes up such little space but has so much power. It's pretty cool, imo. Also with a price tag under 1k, it sounds even better. :)

Heh it's called being in classes where the professor reads off the powerpoint. Nothing else to do but to game.

I agree with you Danevin. I would love something like this. I would just plug it into a large monitor or TV when gaming at home and also have the freedom to take it around town.

Nice just what kind of netbook I have been looking for. Now its time to wait for similar netbooks to drop in price to around $400-500.

You are aware that you can plug it in to a TV or a larger monitor when you are at home via HDMI, right?

People find it interesting, because it takes up such little space but has so much power. It's pretty cool, imo. Also with a price tag under 1k, it sounds even better. :)

The larger at home screen is great, but if you are at home you can just as easily plug in an infinitely more powerful machine to the tv. When you are at home the portability arguments go away. You don't get a larger screen when on the move, that is the point. Anything can plug into a bigger tv or monitor.

And the idea of such a small screen being a mainstay for any kind of higher end gaming is a bit bizarre to me. I suppose it would be a decent distraction if you could not bring in a beast of a computer into certain settings, but so could a 13"

I guess my main question, is why is the netbook size/form factor so critical to some people? Over say some of the lighter 13" models out there? I have a netbook and a 13" and once I got the 13" I would never touch the netbook. It just sits there. The size was ok, but the reason it was useful was not so much the form factor but for the fact that it was cheap and did basic stuff.

Even matching spec for spec, I will never be able to find general computing, or gaming more enjoyable on smaller form factor machines as opposed to larger ones. Same goes to the 13 and my desktop.

Again, a gaming laptop with the 11.6" display as the "sweetspot" for size and performance is just a bit bizarre to me.

Shit. I just bought a new laptop two days ago. This one seems nice. It'll probably be around $1200 or more which is kind of over my budget anyway so I don't feel so bad.

< than $1000. Starts at $799 according to CNET.

"Hands on update: We got a chance for some hands-on time with the M11x, and made several observations: first, its processor is in fact an Intel Core 2 ULV, the U7300--this is the same processor we've seen in higher-end thin-and-lights. It's augmented with Nvidia's GT335M discrete graphics, making it a kind of a hybrid machine. Its purportedly strong non-gaming-mode battery life would be because of its ULV processor.

Compared to other Alienware laptops, the M11x is surprisingly slim. In fact, its overall dimensions weren't far off from the Asus EeePC 12.1-inch Atom Netbook we were carrying along with us. It's a bit angular and blocky, but the M11x represents a massive move to true portability for the Alienware brand.

We were also told that, even with the advertised "under $1000" price, models will be sold for as low as $799. That's close to what standard thin-and-lights sold for earlier last year. "

http://ces.cnet.com/8301-31045_1-10428491-269.html

In for 1.

< than $1000. Starts at $799 according to CNET.

"Hands on update: We got a chance for some hands-on time with the M11x, and made several observations: first, its processor is in fact an Intel Core 2 ULV, the U7300--this is the same processor we've seen in higher-end thin-and-lights. It's augmented with Nvidia's GT335M discrete graphics, making it a kind of a hybrid machine. Its purportedly strong non-gaming-mode battery life would be because of its ULV processor.

Compared to other Alienware laptops, the M11x is surprisingly slim. In fact, its overall dimensions weren't far off from the Asus EeePC 12.1-inch Atom Netbook we were carrying along with us. It's a bit angular and blocky, but the M11x represents a massive move to true portability for the Alienware brand.

We were also told that, even with the advertised "under $1000" price, models will be sold for as low as $799. That's close to what standard thin-and-lights sold for earlier last year. "

http://ces.cnet.com/8301-31045_1-10428491-269.html

In for 1.

Damn it! ULVs frustrate me to no end. I wish it would be based on the new Core i3/i5 ULV designs instead of the old Core 2. They've always seemed anemic to me. Wonder what the screen resolution will be.

I'm guessing 1320x768, but it's possible that it could be higher.

Damn the GT335M which comes in the M11x is actually faster than the stock 240M on the M15x......

GT335M - 72 shaders
240M - 48 shaders

Can't wait for this thing. Wish there was a pre-order option up.

Why couldn't they make it 13" I'll tell you. It's because Dell feels it can only sell anything on the Alienware line unless it's flashy and in one way or another gimped. Why can't anyone make a 13.3" notebook with gaming capabilities right? It's not that hard, you have the technology, you can rebuild it.

^^ HP 13 Envy.

While it's no doubt a nice laptop I still think its $500 overpriced, or at least it should be the same price as the Macbook Pro it's copying. Plus, a 4330 is a mediocre gaming card at best.

Lately I've been looking at the Sony SR series which you can get with a 4570 for $940 (after educational discount). There's some Asus 14"ers that have the specs I want for around 7-800, but I'm concerned with the build quality and bezel size. So, really there's no perfect solution, but then again, I'm probably too picky.

I used to have the Envy 15. I wonder if the refresh comes with edge-to-edge glass on the 15" and a backlit keyboard, along with a bloody ACPI compliant BIOS for those of us who wanted to use Linux without the damn thing melting :(

Why couldn't they make it 13" I'll tell you. It's because Dell feels it can only sell anything on the Alienware line unless it's flashy and in one way or another gimped. Why can't anyone make a 13.3" notebook with gaming capabilities right? It's not that hard, you have the technology, you can rebuild it.

Asus has a number of 13/14" models that could be called "gaming". I hope the new U series+bamboo will bring the kind of power early previews have done so.

There's some Asus 14"ers that have the specs I want for around 7-800, but I'm concerned with the build quality.
you know they have 2 year warranties right? that's $200 right there from other manus.
on top of that, asus have the 1 year accidental damage warranty due to spills, fires, surges, drops and etc....
get a new laptop 1 mo b4 the warranty expires.
:)

They aren't lying.

At low low low low low low low.

Apparently it gets 30fps at MW2 with everything maxed running at 720p which makes a lot more sense.

I've been looking for a good compromise between portability and decent gaming capabilities for quite a while now. I was holding out for someone to pair a CULV with the 9400M in a sub 12" form factor. This goes even one better, although at the cost of a few hundred dollars more than I want to spend.

I'm not too fired up about Alienware's style, but a discrete GPU in a ultralight notebook may just be too tempting for me to pass up.

As soon as I heard this announcement. I made one phone call and got a buyer for my current notebook. A small notebook with some power is EXACTLY what I've been looking for!

Before everyone runs out to buy this, I suggest we all hold our cash for the new Sony Z! It will be 13", backlit keyboard, Core i5 of some variant, and GeForce 335, all reports say. Plus, it will be in a gorgeous chassis! If power is important, money is (less of an or) no object, and you prefer minimalist Vaio style and metal, wait a little longer.

These two are at the top of my list so far, in the 13" or less category.

Thumbs down on the CULV... but you can't have your cake and eat it I guess. I'll probably upgrade to this over the summer.

Am I the only person who is glad it is 11" and not 13"?

Before everyone runs out to buy this, I suggest we all hold our cash for the new Sony Z! It will be 13", backlit keyboard, Core i5 of some variant, and GeForce 335, all reports say. Plus, it will be in a gorgeous chassis! If power is important, money is (less of an or) no object, and you prefer minimalist Vaio style and metal, wait a little longer.

These two are at the top of my list so far, in the 13" or less category.

Can I ask for a link on this? I'm only seeing 9300m for this particular model Z series.

Need to find a way to come up with $1,000 to get this thing!

Looks awesome!

Last edited:
The performance of this system is great, actually. I wouldn't mind having one for when I'm out of town and get an itch to shoot someone...

Can I ask for a link on this? I'm only seeing 9300m for this particular model Z series.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=447505

Lots of info in this thread, including a few videos. They're looking at a release structure where the wallet-breaking Special Edition is released first, and the CTO to come later. On the latest pages the first SonyStyle launch pages for the new Z Signature Editions are linked. No specs there, though, but they do cost a fortune. However, the CTO variant should be better.

Last edited:
Back