Alienware m11x

The 3dMark scores are heavily influenced by CPU performance and so the Z will look a lot better, but actual in game performance will favor the M11X

And I don't think anyone should get this computer if they want to do heavy CPU intense stuff... this is meant as a gaming ultraportable, and compared to the Acer 1410 or 1810 or the Asus UL80's, this is damn well priced

Nah mate, i've done the research and been reading every thread in existence, the Z puts out the same frames in Batman: AA @ 1600x900 that the 11x does at 1366x768 for example... That cpu coupled with a 335m is just a huge disappointment because 330m with i5 or i7 blows it away. Seems like the beancounters got the best of the 11x.

I don't mean to rain on anyones parade, I was right there with you guys excited as hell but it is what it is in the end, you get what you pay for...i'm canceling mine and going with the Z. Would have put an SSD in the 11x anyway which the base z comes with so cost is really not even that big of a difference. I just can't justify going with 11x when the Z is available.

Nah mate, i've done the research and been reading every thread in existence, the Z puts out the same frames in Batman: AA @ 1600x900 that the 11x does at 1366x768 for example... That cpu coupled with a 335m is just a huge disappointment because 330m with i5 or i7 blows it away. Seems like the beancounters got the best of the 11x.

That's fine, but I wonder if anyone's tested the 335M at 1600 x 900 on an external monitor?

My bet is that if you connect the M11x to a larger resolution, the M11x will do just fine, especially since higher resolutions makes the CPU even less important

And since you do plan on getting an SSD, that makes things a bit different (though I bet a X-25M + M11x is faster than the standard Z with the OEM SSD in terms of SSD performance).

However, for the $826 shipped I got for the m11x, there's no way I can justify another $1000 more for marginal performance improvements if any

Mine's lunar silver

Here's pics (some have flash/no flash)

Box it shipped in:

The Alienware box:

Opening it up. The top is where driver disc/AC adapter/manual is

The notebook comes in this little cover

Uncovered!

What's in the box:

Back nameplate (default nameplate):

Compared to the Acer Aspire One 8.9" netbook. Footprint is bigger, but just as thin/thick. The pics make the M11x look a lot "thicker" than it actually is

Other pics. I took flash off on most pics, but you can see for yourself:

I really believe you are jumping the gun BlueHaze by bailing out before we see more user reviews, but to each their own. Personally I would wait at least a week before canceling. Maybe even do your own hands on experience.

For the money you are planning to put into a Z, I hope it turns out to be worth it. I'd personally rather get a slightly bigger laptop with a better graphics card for the price a good Z would run, and it would still be cheaper. The whole reason I personally ordered the M11x was the good battery life, good game performance, and ultraportable form factor for a non-obscene price. After coupons my M11x with SU7300 cpu, 4 gb ram, and 250 gb hd all for $830 shipped.

I really believe you are jumping the gun BlueHaze by bailing out before we see more user reviews, but to each their own. Personally I would wait at least a week before canceling. Maybe even do your own hands on experience.

For the money you are planning to put into a Z, I hope it turns out to be worth it. I'd personally rather get a slightly bigger laptop with a better graphics card for the price a good Z would run, and it would still be cheaper. The whole reason I personally ordered the M11x was the good battery life, good game performance, and ultraportable form factor for a non-obscene price. After coupons my M11x with SU7300 cpu, 4 gb ram, and 250 gb hd all for $830 shipped.

Mine is even cheaper than that because they gave me free overnight shipping LOL I had ordered the same exact config though but I have finally made up my mind it's just not worth it to me. It can probably play the same games as the Z but the Z is just so much more of a computer for the price for everything, bigger screen, way more power, similiar size/battery life etc.., the difference is definitely worth it to me. I wish everyone well with their m11x's but the 11x just does not appeal to me anymore. It just seems like a glorified netbook rather than a computer for lack of a better description...sorry don't mean to be rude, just not sure how else to explain it. It is one hell of a netbook though, I will give it that :p

Cheers man!

yeah plus it's expensive for what you get

for just a few bones more you could get one of those Asus laptops mmmmm

yeah plus it's expensive for what you get

for just a few bones more you could get one of those Asus laptops mmmmm

I dunno, you've got to compare it to the form factor

For example, an Acer 1810T is $500+tax+shipping for me, but does not have the good GPU at all, and for < $300 more (after u factor in the tax and shipping), I can get something with just as long life but much better performance

But to each their own I guess. Spending $1800 on an ultra-portable is not my cup of tea

i wouldn't call the Asus an "ultraportable" rofl

them things heavy

but it's basically a desktop replacement

it has a quad core, 8 gigs of ram, and a 5870m in it

then how can you even compare laptops? they are in a totally different market than the ones marketed as desktop replacements. I travel a lot so it was easy for me.

It is true. Other then for gaming, the Z is a much better computer. But for most gaming, which depends more on the GPU than the CPU, the M11x would be better. It really depends on what you need your laptop to do.

Just curious blue, what do you need your laptop to do and what games did you plan on actually playing?

It's funny because I don't even game as much as I used to...

But, that being said, when I do game, the Acer Aspire One I have is wholly incapable. The ultra portables in the same price range, such as the 11.6" Acer AS1410T and AS1810T's, run Intel IGPs. The Asus UL series run as much as a G210M or G310M. Basically, just an Ion GPU.

This was perfect for me because it provides the extra oomph I need to actually run most games (albeit intense ones will be at low settings) when I do want to, but still be portable like those other notebooks so I can hit the road etc with something far more capable (and faster) than my current netbook, yet be far more portable than a 15.6"+ notebook, which is where right now you can only find the next tier of GPU's (the ATI 5650's and the GTS 350M's and higher)

It is true. Other then for gaming, the Z is a much better computer. But for most gaming, which depends more on the GPU than the CPU, the M11x would be better. It really depends on what you need your laptop to do.

Just curious blue, what do you need your laptop to do and what games did you plan on actually playing?

Depends what I feel like doing that day, programming,photoshop, movies, games, CAD work or just surfing net. Doesn't matter the Z will be better for it. Look at the 3dmark scores for Samsung 580 http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-330M.22437.0.html its got i5 520 not the i5 540 that the Z comes with standard and a 330m and it scores 7100 3dmark 06 @ 1280x1024. The 11x does 6100@1280x768. At 1280x768 the Z with i7 will be pushing well over 8000 3dmarks it's going to blow away the 11x in games too.

That whole debacle with Alienware lowering the multiplier on the su7300 was just the last straw the processor was already bad enough but now they aren't even letting you overclock it to 1.73ghz they really should have put an i5 in it even a ulv and it would have been so much better but the 7300 is just to weak and kills the deal for me, not to mention the lackluster reviews over at notebook review.

I was going to sell it on ebay but with all the bad press it's recieving I am afraid I will lose money now so hopefully I can cancel it instead.

Depends what I feel like doing that day, programming,photoshop, movies, games, CAD work or just surfing net. Doesn't matter the Z will be better for it. Look at the 3dmark scores for Samsung 580 http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-330M.22437.0.html its got i5 520 not the i5 540 that the Z comes with standard and a 330m and it scores 7100 3dmark 06 @ 1280x1024. The 11x does 6100@1280x768. At 1280x768 the Z with i7 will be pushing well over 8000 3dmarks it's going to blow away the 11x in games too.

That whole debacle with Alienware lowering the multiplier on the su7300 was just the last straw the processor was already bad enough but now they aren't even letting you overclock it to 1.73ghz they really should have put an i5 in it even a ulv and it would have been so much better but the 7300 is just to weak and kills the deal for me, not to mention the lackluster reviews over at notebook review.

I was going to sell it on ebay but with all the bad press it's recieving I am afraid I will lose money now so hopefully I can cancel it instead.

OOO bluehaze you are here too >>>

mmby the way about the 3dmark 2006
a core i5 430m with 330m with the new samsung nvidia driver
at 1280*768
i was getting 7300
with no overclock in GPU
at have the screenshot in my r480 review page in notebookreview ( page 5)

I don't mean to rain on anyones parade, I was right there with you guys excited as hell but it is what it is in the end, you get what you pay for...i'm canceling mine and going with the Z. Would have put an SSD in the 11x anyway which the base z comes with so cost is really not even that big of a difference. I just can't justify going with 11x when the Z is available.

Sony Z is basilyy
1) lighter
2) thinner
3) larger screen
4) better general performance
5) better gaming performance

then the m11x

while m11x
1) cheaper
then sony z

if money is not a problem

sony z is really much better

$1000 IS a big issue for a lot of people. I'm not paying $1000 more for the same form factor, when these things can easily be lost/stolen/dropped etc. It's much too "MacBook Air"-ish for me, though I grant that unlike the Air, the Sony Z actually has respectable performance.

3dMark06 is a horrible way to compare real world performance - it's INCREDIBLY cpu bound! Of all people, you guy's reading [H] should know better than to use 3dMark06 to figure out real world performance, much less on DIFFERENT cpu's to compare real world performance.

And I'm on NotebookReview too, what lackluster reviews? There's been one case of one person struggling due to the OC and for the most part people have been happy with it.

Sheesh, were you guys expecting a mainstream notebook out of something that clearly wasn't advertised to be one? For $830, this is by far the best performance you will get out of that form factor near the price range. Period!

Also can you turn the lights OFF? I know you can change them pretty much any color, but off? Id like all LED's off except the keyboard backlight, which I would put white. Is that possible? Anything else just looks really gaudy imo.

I agree. There has been only 1 actual user review that was dissatisfied (rightly so in my opinion). Everyone else is just complaining about something they were never guaranteed to get (1.73 ghz overclock vs the current 1.6 ghz overclock) are the ones who don't even physically have the M11x in their hands and tried playing the games.

Plus 3dMark02 is heavily CPU oriented. It's good as a general performance benchmark to give people an idea of how it should perform, but should be in no way held accountable as a true gaming benchmark of how it will run games people actually play.

Plus BlueHaze, it really does sound like you want something other then a gaming notebook anyways. I do hope you have luck with whatever you get, though! I remember 5 years ago, it was unimaginable to even be thinking about playing current games on medium/high detail on such small systems.

The reason I use 3dmark is because it give a good idea of what to expect. I know people like to say don't used 3dmark etc.. but honestly I have never in my lifetime seen a system that scored significantly higher in 3dmark actually do worse in games. There are discrepancies between different manufacturers cards that can cause numbers to be confusing but in this case we are comparing 335m with c2d to 330m with i5/i7 it is a similiar enough system that the results will be pretty similiar in actual games. It is a useful tool for me, wether or not other people feel the same is insignificant as i am judging based off my own experience.

Not to mention I have also compared the game benchmarks and the Z is able to maintain similiar FPS as the 11x only the Z does it at higher resolution so the results seem rather accurate.

As far as bad reviews, there is an outrage all over the m11x thread over there due to Dell lowering the multiplier on the su7300 which is already too weak of a processor to pair with a 335m suprised you have not seen it if you have been following that thread there are posts on probably each of the last 20 pages or more about it LOL

Anyways it is cool to be able to game on small machines nowadays, that I agree with for sure! If you are only looking for a portable gaming console the 11x will probably do you just fine as long as you don't mind the tiny screen.

That is another reason I cancelled my 11x, had been using my 1201n last few days with 12" screen and it is just a bit small for me and is aggravating to use sometimes mainly because of the 1366x768 resolution not alot fits in that space and you have to do so much scrolling on web pages and what not I finally decided that a 13" with 1600x900 would be very nice to have if I was going to be using this for any length of time.

So as you can see there were alot of thought processes leading up to my decision to cancel the m11x, the downclocking of the processor was just the straw that finally broke the camels back and got me to break down and cancel it because I was afraid the bad press would make it hard to sell on Ebay for any kind of profit, so not worth the hassle.

I think most that just want to play games will be happy with their m11x though don't get me wrong, it is just not the lappy for me.

and Heya Fury, how ya doin mate? You following me? :D

Cheers everyone! Good luck with your m11x's!

Last edited:
NO NO NO you follow me !! lol

If i have the money to spent..
or if i didn't buy the 5970 video card,,
i may go get a sony Z too>>

looks really good and fast too

about the screen...
i also had the 1201n
12" for playing modern game is abit small,
after changing to 14" from 12"

it just more comfort in gaming.

Hows the battery life? Thats what I want to know.
4 hours with the GT335M on, 8+ with the Intel IGP on

Also can you turn the lights OFF? I know you can change them pretty much any color, but off? Id like all LED's off except the keyboard backlight, which I would put white. Is that possible? Anything else just looks really gaudy imo.
Yes, the lights can be turned on /off with the FN key, and they can be customized in AlienFX to change colors / pulse / stay constant, etc.

The reason I use 3dmark is because it give a good idea of what to expect. I know people like to say don't used 3dmark etc.. but honestly I have never in my lifetime seen a system that scored significantly higher in 3dmark actually do worse in games. There are discrepancies between different manufacturers cards that can cause numbers to be confusing but in this case we are comparing 335m with c2d to 330m with i5/i7 it is a similiar enough system that the results will be pretty similiar in actual games. It is a useful tool for me, wether or not other people feel the same is insignificant as i am judging based off my own experience.

3dMark06 is heavily CPU dependent. A core i5/7i7 is going to affect the score of 3dMark06 disproportionately to how it actually performs in games.

Let me quote what I wrote:
To illustrate this situation, I took 3dMark06 runs on the desktop. The desktop is running a QX9650 Core 2 Quad and an ATI 4870 X2 (overclocked at 800mhz core). These runs are all at the default 3dMark06 settings (1280x1024 resolution).

With the QX9650 overclocked at 3.6 GHz, and the ATI 4870X2 clocked at 800Mhz, I scored 19,402 marks.

With the ATI 4870X2 downlocked 25% (from 800Mhz to 600Mhz core), I scored 18,768 marks.

Now I downclocked my CPU by 25% (to 2.7GHz from 3.6Ghz) whereas I left my 4870X2 at 800Mhz. Lo and behold, my score dropped to.. 15,078 marks.

Of course, if I were actually using this to play a game, that 20% drop in GPU is going to hurt my frame rates a lot more than that 20% drop in CPU. I hope this illustrates how futile it is to compare actual gaming performance across different notebooks with different CPU's, since 3dMark06 is so incredibly CPU dependent. Vantage is going to be a better indicator of real world performance since it is far less CPU intensive.

So are you telling me, that by your logic, my 15k score @ 2.7GHz is going to perform worse in game than my 4870X2 at downclocked 25% to 600Mhz?

You and I both know that the downclocking of the CPU is not going to matter nearly that much as downclocking the GPU, but hey, far be it from me to stop you from using 3dMark06 across different CPU's, much less different CPU architectures, to prove real-world performance.

Not to mention I have also compared the game benchmarks and the Z is able to maintain similiar FPS as the 11x only the Z does it at higher resolution so the results seem rather accurate.

And where are those benchmarks? Most people haven't even started game benching the M11X.

As for higher resolution, the GT335M does just fine actually. In fact:
Now to see what happens when the resolution is increased, especially for you guys who like to run things on external monitors. I ran this at 1680 x 1050, and scored 5213.:eek: :eek: Needless to say, out of a ultraportable, that's some awesome power and ought to show you that the GT335M is quite capable.

As far as bad reviews, there is an outrage all over the m11x thread over there due to Dell lowering the multiplier on the su7300 which is already too weak of a processor to pair with a 335m suprised you have not seen it if you have been following that thread there are posts on probably each of the last 20 pages or more about it LOL

The "outrage" is a couple of vocal users, who thought they were getting 1.73GHz when nothing was promised. In fact, had Darkhan (irresponsibly, IMO, if he truly works for Dell/AW) never leaked the fact it could OC, users would have opened it up yesterday, saw the manual, and went absolutely happy that the CPU could be OC'd at all.

Besides one user who was having Orthos/possibly memory issues, the rest of the people who have OC'd have done fine with it at 1.6GHz. And who knows, maybe Dell plans to update the BIOS to allow 1.73 GHz anyways.

And I hate using 3dMark comparisons, but in 3dMarkVantage at the Performance pre-set, a slightly overclocked GT335M is very close to my 15.6" Acer AS5740G (Core i5-520M, ATI 5650) so that ought to tell you what kind of potential there is in this thing.

Anyways it is cool to be able to game on small machines nowadays, that I agree with for sure! If you are only looking for a portable gaming console the 11x will probably do you just fine as long as you don't mind the tiny screen.

That is another reason I cancelled my 11x, had been using my 1201n last few days with 12" screen and it is just a bit small for me and is aggravating to use sometimes mainly because of the 1366x768 resolution not alot fits in that space and you have to do so much scrolling on web pages and what not I finally decided that a 13" with 1600x900 would be very nice to have if I was going to be using this for any length of time.

So as you can see there were alot of thought processes leading up to my decision to cancel the m11x, the downclocking of the processor was just the straw that finally broke the camels back and got me to break down and cancel it because I was afraid the bad press would make it hard to sell on Ebay for any kind of profit, so not worth the hassle.

I think most that just want to play games will be happy with their m11x though don't get me wrong, it is just not the lappy for me.

Well to each their own. Personally the screen on the m11x is perfect - the resolution and screen size makes everything nice and sharp, and is very usable (1366x768 on a 15.6", on the other hand, is just awful). And seeing as how the multiplier issue is far from resolved, I don't think worrying about 133 Mhz is a big issue (especially since people will be doing setfsb and other things I bet, since nothing is stopping you from OC'ing outside of BIOS).

And it's really a matter of tempering expectations. If you expected the m11x to game Crysis on VH, and to run Photoshop at near desktop speeds, then you're probably looking at the wrong form factor or price..

3dMark06 is heavily CPU dependent. A core i5/7i7 is going to affect the score of 3dMark06 disproportionately to how it actually performs in games.

Let me quote what I wrote:

So are you telling me, that by your logic, my 15k score @ 2.7GHz is going to perform worse in game than my 4870X2 at downclocked 25% to 600Mhz?

You and I both know that the downclocking of the CPU is not going to matter nearly that much as downclocking the GPU, but hey, far be it from me to stop you from using 3dMark06 across different CPU's, much less different CPU architectures, to prove real-world performance.

And where are those benchmarks? Most people haven't even started game benching the M11X.

As for higher resolution, the GT335M does just fine actually. In fact:

The "outrage" is a couple of vocal users, who thought they were getting 1.73GHz when nothing was promised. In fact, had Darkhan (irresponsibly, IMO, if he truly works for Dell/AW) never leaked the fact it could OC, users would have opened it up yesterday, saw the manual, and went absolutely happy that the CPU could be OC'd at all.

Besides one user who was having Orthos/possibly memory issues, the rest of the people who have OC'd have done fine with it at 1.6GHz. And who knows, maybe Dell plans to update the BIOS to allow 1.73 GHz anyways.

And I hate using 3dMark comparisons, but in 3dMarkVantage at the Performance pre-set, a slightly overclocked GT335M is very close to my 15.6" Acer AS5740G (Core i5-520M, ATI 5650) so that ought to tell you what kind of potential there is in this thing.

Well to each their own. Personally the screen on the m11x is perfect - the resolution and screen size makes everything nice and sharp, and is very usable (1366x768 on a 15.6", on the other hand, is just awful). And seeing as how the multiplier issue is far from resolved, I don't think worrying about 133 Mhz is a big issue (especially since people will be doing setfsb and other things I bet, since nothing is stopping you from OC'ing outside of BIOS).

And it's really a matter of tempering expectations. If you expected the m11x to game Crysis on VH, and to run Photoshop at near desktop speeds, then you're probably looking at the wrong form factor or price..

Don't even know where to start LOL are you trying to convince me an [email protected] and an Nvidia 335m are better than an i5 540 @ 3+ghz and a 330m? All the info is there mate go to notebookcheck.net and have a look at the scores, those are gaming fps as well as 3dmark06 scores. It is no competition. The PCMark Vantage scores is also where the difference becomes astonishing 2500ish PCmarks for su7300/335 vs. 10,000ish for i5/330m There is no contest mate, sorry to burst your bubble here but some of your claims are a bit ridiculous.

Nevertheless the 11x is a very nice netbook, I never said it was a bad product and I have never tried to say it was,it's just not suitable for me I want an ultraportable that I can do anything I do on my desktop with. I don't wan't to be limited to net surfing and playing games on a 11" screen. If all you do is surf net and play games though the 11x is a fine option but no matter how hard you try your never going to convince anyone it's in the same league as the Sony Z because it's just not even close, sorry man.

Last edited:

As I said in my last post, none of those people actually have the M11x in hand. Let me re-emphasize that point. None of those complainers even have the M11x in hand nor have they tried playing any games at the 1.6 ghz OC nor even the stok 1.3 ghz clock. You know why? Because they don't physically have the laptop in hand.

The only bad user review is 1 person whose M11x crashes when he tries to play any games OC on the 335m. He stated the laptop runs fine on stock settings and also runs fine when the cpu is overclocked and running the intergrated graphics. It only craps out when he tries to run the 335m when the laptop is in OC mode. There have been several other people with the M11x in hand who are OCing without any issues and hence that one guy has a defunct unit.

Let me again remind that everyone complaining does not actually have the M11x in their hands and have, therefore, not played any games on it. I don't mean to come out as a jerk or anything, just wanted you to get that one fact on the issue right.

Personally, I am also upset that when my M11x arrives in the mail that I cannot overclock to 1.73 ghz. But Alienware in no way have said any official statements what the M11x would overclock to to begin with. Even the HardwareHeaven review stated that 1.6 ghz overclock and everyone assumed that HH must be wrong and it had to be 1.73 ghz to the contrary. Everyone, including me, should have known better.

On the other hand, It is also very odd that when OC mode is enabled, the bios actualy lowers the voltage to the CPU versus what the voltage is at the stock 1.3 ghz speed. I don't know the voltages offhand but some people posted the pics of that in NotebookReview somwhere. But becuase of this the M11x actually uses less power when it is OC. Alienware did a fubar with the bios IMO. That does not mean they will not correct that bios messup in the future.

I was originally planning on gaming at the stock 1.3 ghz speed for all my games minus the most demanding games where I would OC to save on battery. But with how the CPU is undervolted to less when OC compared to stock, I just don't see the point now.

Everyone get's so uptight when you mention Sony Z around the 11x LOL, Anyways as I said the 11x is a fine netbook the best ever made it's just not powerful enough for everyday computing that I do. I want to be able to do everything, not just play games and surf net so my needs are different. I am only stating my opinion here, in hopes that any prospective buyers here wanting something more powerful also know about the Sony Z seeing as how they are basically the same size 11.25x9.19x1.29" for m11x 12.4x8.3x1" (1.29" including the battery hump/footstand) basically the Z is 1" wider the 11x is 1" deeper, the Z is thinner lighter and more powerful with a 13" screen vs 11.6" for 11x and of course the Z is also more expensive. Had I have known about the Sony Z in the first place I probably never would have ordered the 11x and wouldn't have had to cancel...so perhaps this helps some others from making the same mistake is all...

There is no point in me ever trying to convince you two that the Z is better just as there is no point in yourselves trying to convince me the 11x is better. We both choose the products we choose for our own reasons as will everyone else that reads these threads. For some the 11x might be better and others the Z will be better, that is just the way it is there never is one perfect laptop for everyone if there was we would all own it and not have anything to argue about :p

Last edited:
I literally just opened mine a few minutes ago. It's definitely not an ugly laptop. The pictures online don't do it justice. It was a little hard taking pictures of it.. but here ya go for reference. I still have it charging so haven't loaded up my steam games yet. I plan on formatting it and dual booting ubuntu and windows 7.

Yeah, it does look better than Dell's renders (why do they do that anyway? post a render that doesn't even do it justice), still not my aesthetic of choice though. I trust Alienware's software at 'least lets you turn off the speaker/logo LEDs independent of the keyboard? Those would be annoying in certain situations imo...

Two things, you wouldn't play at a res higher than 1366x768 on the 11x anyway... And an i5/i7 laptop would obviously not last anywhere near as long on a single charge, would it? Or is that Sony Z series using some sort of CULV i5? I haven't heard much about those (or that particular Sony model). The appeal of this Dell for a lot of people is that because it uses a CULV C2D the battery life tends to be terrific compared to any other laptop (short of an actual netbook of an idle Macbook), 'specially when doing light web browsing and such. Then there's the price of course...

The i5/i7 are obviously more capable processors, but many people would indeed prefer the CULV C2D if it means better battery life (and a lower price). To call the m11x (or any other laptop of it's ilk) a netbook because it's using that processor is to do it a huge disservice imo, it might not be an i5/i7 but it's still many many times faster than a typical Atom-based netbook. I guess it boils down to your definition of the term, but to me netbook = Atom. A CULV C2D is still capable of far more than web browsing and gaming... :rolleyes:

Second... I wouldn't buy any of these w/a SSD w/o knowing exactly what SSD they come with. Most OEMs are using Samsung or Toshiba SSD which are pretty crappy compared to any Intel/Indillix-based SSD, some don't even boast TRIM support, totally not worth the upgrade price in many cases. :eek: Regardless, I don't think your issues were really w/the m11x per se so much as w/the entire class of system that the m11x belongs to ($450-900 CULV C2D laptops).

That's probably why people get upset that you're bringing up the Sony Z, it might be the same size but it's an entirely different class of system... I'm curious what kinda battery life it gets tho.

Thanks for posting those comparison pics w/the 8.9" Acer netbook ZerazaX, paints a very nice context for some of us.

The difference in price is just huge, thats why people do not like the comparison, it is a stupid one, it costs twice as much as the m11x, so ya, its better, a lot better. For twice the price. I paid 945 shipped after taxes with everything upgraded all the way except for 4gb of RAM instead of 8, 500gb HDD instead od SSD.... The Z is what, 1800? If I had the money to blow I would buy the Z as well...

Last edited:
That's probably why people get upset that you're bringing up the Sony Z, it might be the same size but it's an entirely different class of system... I'm curious what kinda battery life it gets tho.

I agree it is entirely different class of system powerwise but configured similiarly the price is not that much different and the formfactor is the same that is why I compare them. comes out to about 3-400 bucks more for Sony for which you get a whole lot more but that is only if you are going to throw SSD into the 11x which I would have anyway, but of course not everyone else would.

As far as battery life according to HH review battery life is 5h 46m for 11x general use http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews.php?reviewid=924&pageid=17 and according to Engadget review battery life for Sony Z is 4hours of video playback and 6 hours of general use : http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/11/sony-vaio-z-series-vpcz114gx-s-review/ (that is a higher config one, base price 2000 but battery life should be similiar. Only real difference as far as power consumption is that one has 3ssd's in raid 0 whereas the base config has 2 ssd's raid 0)

Edit: Who knows though Sony Z doesn't hit the shelves til next month, i'm not gonna preorder this time like I did with 11x and maybe by next month I decide to get macbook pro 13" instead depending what gpu it has in it LOL

Last edited:
Meh, different reviewers tend to evaluate battery under such wildly different conditions... I'm hesitant to draw a comparison over those two articles. That Endgagdet review does seem to indicate it has pretty good battery life tho, maybe not as long as an ASUS UL series but probably as long as the Dell at 'least. Pretty impressive for the kind of processor inside it.

How is the screen? Subjective or proffesional opinion if possible :)

How are the vertical viewing angles? Good enough that its at least consistent head on?

anyone hear what that 256GB SSD option is? For $350, I'd be tempted, unless it some Jmicron controlled drive.

guys the price of Z is far away..i think the package and the performance of m11x is top notch..also at this money tell me one laptop or netbook that perfoms like alien..

my Z820 gets about 6 hours with the c2d 2.53GHz, and the new mobile i5/i7 are supposed to use the same amount of power, I'd bet those numbers are pretty accurate. My Z has the 7200rpm disk, not sure how it compares to two/four ssd.

dudes do you know if i can switched off all these led's?..like dell xps m1730..i had an option through the bios to disable all the leds..

i believe all new alienware laptops have software that your able to adjust and turn off leds on keyboard n such. If they're always on it'd drive me crazy

I agree it is entirely different class of system powerwise but configured similiarly the price is not that much different and the formfactor is the same that is why I compare them. comes out to about 3-400 bucks more for Sony for which you get a whole lot more but that is only if you are going to throw SSD into the 11x which I would have anyway, but of course not everyone else would.

As far as battery life according to HH review battery life is 5h 46m for 11x general use http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews.php?reviewid=924&pageid=17 and according to Engadget review battery life for Sony Z is 4hours of video playback and 6 hours of general use : http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/11/sony-vaio-z-series-vpcz114gx-s-review/ (that is a higher config one, base price 2000 but battery life should be similiar. Only real difference as far as power consumption is that one has 3ssd's in raid 0 whereas the base config has 2 ssd's raid 0)

Edit: Who knows though Sony Z doesn't hit the shelves til next month, i'm not gonna preorder this time like I did with 11x and maybe by next month I decide to get macbook pro 13" instead depending what gpu it has in it LOL

There are ulv processers for core i5/i7:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_der_Intel-Core-i-Prozessoren#Mobil

Though thier TDP (termal design power=max watt they can draw) is 18, so 8 more than the 10 of the core 2 duo SU7300, the chipset the core i5/i7 uses draws only 3,5 watt max versus the core2duo chipset with 14,5 watt max.
This means the core i5/i7 ulv processors can even yield a better battery life (besides being faster, even though not leagues faster)

So for any of you that are undecided if they want the M11x and do not need it now, it may be offered in a re-launched version in about a half a year with the core i5 processory. But there are no confirmations on that, or it's details.

As to the SSD used for the M11x: this is the samsung PB22-J 256gb - which is not as good as the intel ones, but for it's price still quite good - though the random access times are noticably worse. See the benchmarks of this review:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/256gb-samsung-ssd,2265-3.html

I think it's a quite reasonably good SSD, and I've chosen it.

Hope this helps

Back